Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning privet

Options
  • 08-07-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

I plan on pruning back the privet hedge we planted in April. It is just starting to sprout little flowers. Any advice on when I should do it?
    Also, most of the plants are about a metre tall but quite gangly looking. Should i prune right back to half metre high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Privet is easy to prune and you can cut them back quite hard and they will resprout from bare wood. But since this is a newly planted hedge I think a light trim would be best for this year - just to even them up, cut back gangly bits that would shake in the wind etc -- and then when they are established in a years time you can cut and trim them to the shape and size you want.
    And of course keep them well watered at all times during this first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My heart is broke watering them!!! Should i prune them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

heldel00 wrote: »
    My heart is broke watering them!!! Should i prune them now?

Wait until the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

There is always one 😂

Advertisement