Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a hoist

Options
  • 08-07-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone give me a definite answer on using a hoist in Irish residential care. I was always under the impression two people were needed to hoist but in my current work place this is not the practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

There are always two people in the NH where my Dad is, he needs a hoist for everything, that's all I know for sure. Could HIQA help you with more information or the Carers Association?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

clairek6 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone give me a definite answer on using a hoist in Irish residential care. I was always under the impression two people were needed to hoist but in my current work place this is not the practice?

HIQA regulatory notice on hoists doesn't mention number of users required to hoist. It's always been two in any hospital I've worked in though.

https://www.hiqa.ie/guidance-providers/older-peoples-services/regulatory-and-safety-notices

But I'd ask to see the homes policy, if you're hoisting alone and any thing happens, they'll hang you out to dry.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nickie3

Hi Claire,

Manual handling training is mandatory for all care workers. The requirement for 2 assistants is site specific, there is no legal requirement regarding the number of people required to use a hoist.

However, in lieu of the fact that a mistake can be catastrophic, most employers deem it best practice to have 2 users. One experienced person could probably manage *if* the client is not too heavy, not too complex and doesn't have behavioural problems. That's a lot of ifs.

It is probably good practice to insist on 2 carers.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

As a Manual Handling Instructor, I would always say that a passive or full body hoist requires 2 people in attendance.

What does the risk assessment or policy document say?

You could look at the instruction manual for the hoist, or google the specific hoist, all companies have their manuals on-line, many also have Youtube channels.

2 guidance documents you should be aware of:-

The use of hoists in Designated Centres

HSA guidance

Advertisement