Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v8] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭threetrees

Are they heading towards a post natal depression story with Niki? Usually it'd be done in a soap soon after a birth but PND is common after a few months too.

I've tuned out of any scenes other Trigger now, I'm annoyed at how unrealistic the story is and I think it's disrespectful to cancer and palliative carers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

threetrees wrote: »
    Are they heading towards a post natal depression story with Niki? Usually it'd be done in a soap soon after a birth but PND is common after a few months too.

I've tuned out of any scenes other Trigger now, I'm annoyed at how unrealistic the story is and I think it's disrespectful to cancer and palliative carers.

It looks like both ends of the spectrum. Nikki post natal and Kerri Ann pre conception anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Yeah, I was thinking that Damien might also have a complete nervous breakdown and kidnap the child or Caoimhe and threaten her. They seem to be portraying it as Damien, despite advice from Laura, completely rejecting logic and fixating on Caoimhe and Dean having an affair. He does have a very controlling side to him and his comment about her being a tramp tonight was pure spite and lashing out.
    My fear is though, this story will be reigned in because if Damien killed or attempted to kill Dean or Caoimhe, it will be hard to come back from and he would get prison. I know they did it with Barry and now Dermot but I still cant see them getting rid of Damien, despite him being a completely pointless and outdated character by now. The storyline has potential for sure but in typical FC style, just before Damien gathers his machete to cut Dean up with, Laura will have a quiet word with him about him turning into his father, then Damien will hug her, go for a meeting with Miriam to get it out of his system and we have another 20 years of him tucking his head into his chest whilst putting his hands in his pockets.
    As Wanderer pointed out, it looks like Damian is building up towards a huge eruption where he could potentially kill or injure Caoimhe or Saoirse. Whereas if it's not a domestic violence storyline in the Damian/Suzanne sense over a prolonged period of time in the home, the idea of a mental breakdown is worrying, firstly because recent storylines show that the writing and production will probably make a right hames of it when if done properly could highlight several topics such as domestic violence, mental health awareness, isolation, being stuck in a rut and so on. The second problem is it's already been done in FC with another character, coincidentally associated with Caoimhe, Tommy. Your point about a lifer going too far can be seen here, I can honestly say watching the Tommy/Judy/Bob was nail biting from the whole webcam stalking, to watching them in the flesh in the bedroom while asleep, gathering the gun and hunting equipment to actually shooting Bob. I really thought Tommy was being written out for life which was a huge shock because I really liked Tommy at that point, not because of who he had been before the breakdown but the excellent writing then made me care for Tommy in spite of everything.

This is where I think that they'll have the problem with Damian. As Builderplumber mentioned, Damian is usually angry and controlling. I watched him back in the Suzanne storyline and I did think he was able demonstrate his acting chops then so it's not a question of Maclean Burke being unable to act, the current writers just don't seem to want to portray any other aspect of him. Back in the day, he was a failed debt collector but still managed to charm Neasa into bed. Now if he's not fighting with Pete, fighting with Caoimhe, hanging out with Laura or Wayne occasionally, well there's precious little for him to do. Tommy came into FC as this amicable family man, a bit of a flirt, slight home wrecking tendencies but ultimately a man of the earth so to speak and on reasonably good relations with all folk. Despite a complete 180 shift of his character when unwell, he still managed to get most of the cast and us as viewers back onside over the last year or so. Having dropped in and out of the thread over the last few weeks, I've yet to see anyone defend or even sympathise with Damian mostly because I don't believe the character is liked, despite not yet being irredeemable like Trigger Foley or Cathal Spillane. And it's not even about being liked or disliked, it's about being a mr. cellophane character. No one actually cares. Apart from Laura, Damian is totally adrift in this world. So for me at least, there's f all point in doing a storyline of this magnitude with Damian because assuming the writers were going to actually make a decent attempt to address this properly, no one is invested in Damian as a character currently either in the soap or in the audience so redemption isn't going to come as easily, if at all as it did to Tommy. Unless it's tackled from a different perspective and leads to Damian attempting to take his own life after potentially injuring Caoimhe/Saorise knowing he has become just like his father. But even then as I can't see Damian leaving the soap, it'll probably be done and dusted in an hour special because let's face it, Caoimhe is definitely starting college in September.

It's not to say that if the writers wanted to make Damian likeable that they couldn't, they've done a splendid job on Eoghan, who I think is one of the best characters st the minute. He went from an odious know it all bigot to a completely decent skin but it did take time. I don't think there's enough time for Damo. Jeepers, this turned into an essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,272 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Eyespy wrote: »
    As Wanderer pointed out, it looks like Damian is building up towards a huge eruption where he could potentially kill or injure Caoimhe or Saoirse. Whereas if it's not a domestic violence storyline in the Damian/Suzanne sense over a prolonged period of time in the home, the idea of a mental breakdown is worrying, firstly because recent storylines show that the writing and production will probably make a right hames of it when if done properly could highlight several topics such as domestic violence, mental health awareness, isolation, being stuck in a rut and so on. The second problem is it's already been done in FC with another character, coincidentally associated with Caoimhe, Tommy. Your point about a lifer going too far can be seen here, I can honestly say watching the Tommy/Judy/Bob was nail biting from the whole webcam stalking, to watching them in the flesh in the bedroom while asleep, gathering the gun and hunting equipment to actually shooting Bob. I really thought Tommy was being written out for life which was a huge shock because I really liked Tommy at that point, not because of who he had been before the breakdown but the excellent writing then made me care for Tommy in spite of everything.

This is where I think that they'll have the problem with Damian. As Builderplumber mentioned, Damian is usually angry and controlling. I watched him back in the Suzanne storyline and I did think he was able demonstrate his acting chops then so it's not a question of Maclean Burke being unable to act, the current writers just don't seem to want to portray any other aspect of him. Back in the day, he was a failed debt collector but still managed to charm Neasa into bed. Now if he's not fighting with Pete, fighting with Caoimhe, hanging out with Laura or Wayne occasionally, well there's precious little for him to do. Tommy came into FC as this amicable family man, a bit of a flirt, slight home wrecking tendencies but ultimately a man of the earth so to speak and on reasonably good relations with all folk. Despite a complete 180 shift of his character when unwell, he still managed to get most of the cast and us as viewers back onside over the last year or so. Having dropped in and out of the thread over the last few weeks, I've yet to see anyone defend or even sympathise with Damian mostly because I don't believe the character is liked, despite not yet being irredeemable like Trigger Foley or Cathal Spillane. And it's not even about being liked or disliked, it's about being a mr. cellophane character. No one actually cares. Apart from Laura, Damian is totally adrift in this world. So for me at least, there's f all point in doing a storyline of this magnitude with Damian because assuming the writers were going to actually make a decent attempt to address this properly, no one is invested in Damian as a character currently either in the soap or in the audience so redemption isn't going to come as easily, if at all as it did to Tommy. Unless it's tackled from a different perspective and leads to Damian attempting to take his own life after potentially injuring Caoimhe/Saorise knowing he has become just like his father. But even then as I can't see Damian leaving the soap, it'll probably be done and dusted in an hour special because let's face it, Caoimhe is definitely starting college in September.

It's not to say that if the writers wanted to make Damian likeable that they couldn't, they've done a splendid job on Eoghan, who I think is one of the best characters st the minute. He went from an odious know it all bigot to a completely decent skin but it did take time. I don't think there's enough time for Damo. Jeepers, this turned into an essay.

It definitely looks like Damien is going to turn violent. He was talking about beating Dean to a pulp last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Strazdas wrote: »
    It definitely looks like Damien is going to turn violent. He was talking about beating Dean to a pulp last night.

He might also end up depressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jace6

I think Saoirse will be taken in revenge for Caoimhe leaving him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Never expect anything decent or even something that would make sense from the writers. You will only be disappointed. Don't give an example of something that was good 5+ years, those days are gone. The writers treat the audience like idiots, the storylines and interactions between the characters are idiotic and it's well established that the writers are IDIOTS! Has anything that remotely resembles are real life scenario happened in recent years? They can't even portray a couple trying to conceive like one them isn't b@t**** crazy

When is the Speakeasy opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

When is the Speakeasy opening?

Ah those were the days. Who's running the pod now? Is it still Kevin or did he leave when the whole heather thing kicked off and the "caps" were on his case?
    Remember the bursary? Whatever became of that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

De Bild wrote: »
    Silly question but are any of the lesbians in Fair City reallife lesbians? Are any non lesbian characters lesbians? I think Laura is pretty.

Laura is gay in real life. Sash isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,272 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

youwould wrote: »

I think the Nina actress is married with children in real life, so not her either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

And Sash isn't orange in real life either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bazermc wrote: »
    And Sash isn't orange in real life either?
    She's a good catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think the Nina actress is married with children in real life, so not her either.

Assuming she's married to a bloke, that is. ;)

sligojoek wrote: »
    She's a good catholic.

Sash would be quite an appropriate name for an orange girl who is out in the marching season. 'The Sash my father wore' takes on a new meaning!!

'She was old but she was beautiful'... oh sorry i'm thinking of the Iris Robinson;)

I am really looking forward to Fair City tonight after a stressful day at work.

I think it is going to be hopping!

Trigger is like a dying wasp. He will acquire a weapon (maybe one of Jack's pencils) and deliver a fatal blow to Robbie! You heard it here folks!

When i was new in Ireland my work colleagues in Dublin IFSC played a practical joke on me.

Firstly they told me about GAA and that i was athletic and should join a club. They wrote out a note for me in Doug (pidgeon!) English. I was to ring a number and ask for a Les Behan about joining the 'Gay Lick' association. The number was for the Irish Gay Rights Movement and there was much confusion when i rang looking for a Les Behan and in relation to Gay Lick.

No Fair City next Tuesday night 22nd because of the Rose of Tralee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

That one year old child is in a buggy for a new born
    She should be sitting up a least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Trigger's attempt at playing a dying man is ridiculously bad

Extreme Unction..

Father Bertie never gave sacrament like that before.

Yes Trigger rang Jack. He's calling in the favour, a pencil.

No Fair City next Tuesday night 22nd because of the Rose of Tralee!

The lovely girls me hoop. I want Fair City! Let's start a petition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

jojofizzio wrote: »

Absolutely. Look at his eyes how clear and healthy they are. Even the 'special effects department' are shi*e. The energy and anger. My own dad died in January and you're trying to look at his chest to see if it's lowering and rising to breathe in the days before death.

Pathetic Fair City.

Ah yes Triggers friend who stared alongside Colin Farrell in Alexander will do the job! Guy to the left Denis Conway.

Alexander-2004-MSS-23625.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its actually not half bad this Damien storyline. After months of repetitive crap about Caoimhe working part time etc it seems she has finally seen the light and ditched him and now hes heading down the road of being a fully fledged stalker/psycho. Id be surprised if either Dean or Caoimhe or Laura made it to next month without getting a serious beating. Things are hotting up nicely..

Elsewhere, Trigger and Carol? Boring. Please do NOT give Carol another IFTA that she blatantly doesn't deserve, she has been peddling the whole rough family thing since she walked on to the soap. :P:P

Its actually not half bad this Damien storyline. After months of repetitive crap about Caoimhe working part time etc it seems she has finally seen the light and ditched him and now hes heading down the road of being a fully fledged stalker/psycho. Id be surprised if either Dean or Caoimhe or Laura made it to next month without getting a serious beating. Things are hotting up nicely..

Elsewhere, Trigger and Carol? Boring. Please do NOT give Carol another IFTA that she blatantly doesn't deserve, she has been peddling the whole rough family thing since she walked on to the soap. :P:P

He's a big, thick, lump. He will have to deal with Deano with stealth as in a confrontation with build up you would think Dean's UFC/MMA experience would prove decisive. Dean is quite well built also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

That was a fairly dark episode. The remarks about the Catholic church. Charlotte confessing about killing her father. A slight improvement from the whole Pete and Bob fiasco.

Damien needs to take a long look in the mirror and fast. He'll end up like Trigger.

He actually can't understand why Caoimhe left him. Pathetic twit. Looking forward to Charlotte and KT getting their own back at Oisin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Some coincidence how Dean and Caoimhe and Damo all seem to meet on the street at the exact same time. Also bit lazy from FC writers not explaining exactly what info Trigger has on yer man. He just kept saying I'll make sure you go down for that thing that I know you did a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Some coincidence how Dean and Caoimhe and Damo all seem to meet on the street at the exact same time. Also bit lazy from FC writers not explaining exactly what info Trigger has on yer man. He just kept saying I'll make sure you go down for that thing that I know you did a while back

All characters involved in a plot too!

Laura is also part of that bump into gang at the minute! And they don't seem to converse with anyone else for 3 months! Even Dan is missing out on some of the juiciest relationship problems gossip at the minute and that's the only thing that keeps him wheely going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

jojofizzio wrote: »

I feel Trigger is not nearly as 'sick' as he lets on. Notice how he exaggerates how he is in front of the others and then you see him lying back grinning afterwards when he is on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I feel Trigger is not nearly as 'sick' as he lets on. Notice how he exaggerates how he is in front of the others and then you see him lying back grinning afterwards when he is on his own.
    There was one scene reminiscent of Basil Fawty when Sybill and the doctor left the room.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ahhh sure he was practically ready too gasp his last breath last night,the priest was called and all and like the pheonix he rose out of the flames :rolleyes: he'll be hovering around now tonight "I want a drink" "give me my phone" "get me a gun " "get me morphine" "Kill greasy head!" Just die already you auld bollox :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It seems like the writers want us to think Trigger has more time left than he's letting on, but have they forgotten that the doctors in the hospital, the doctor who called to the house, and the greatest nuss who ever nussed have all agreed that he's very close to death?!
    I know every patient is different and some terminally ill people sort of slip away quickly rather than lapsing in and out of consciousness for some time, in a weakened state, before finally dying (which I would see as the more typical scenario). But I've never heard of someone in the end stages of cancer being dependent on liquid morphine, swigged from the bottle, to get him out the door to the pub to drink alcohol or to the community centre to meet up with his fellow crims.
    Not to be stating the obvious now or anything but the entire Trigger storyline has been badly researched, draaaaaagged out for far too long, and very, very poorly written.

• Advertisement

If the British Soap Awards had a category for worst story line the Trigger one with hands down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Sparko

If the British Soap Awards had a category for worst story line the Trigger one with hands down!

Absolutely. It is totally beyond comprehension that Carol wouldn't have thrown him out by now. Even by Fair City standards this story is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭LushiousLips

It's an insult to cancer patients and their families.

He is drinking morphine like water and it doesn't have any lasting side effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Damien is turning into his father

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Damien is turning into his father

His father didn't have an issues with his neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

His father didn't have an issues with his neck!

Just women's necks.......WHA!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Weren't Harry Molloy and Short neck with the face of dogs arse close at one time?

Weren't Harry Molloy and Short neck with the face of dogs arse close at one time?

There is something in the back of my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yeah, they were involved in the first gay kiss on ANY soap. Was big at the time.

At least I think it was them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Damien doesn't seem to be able to take being dumped all that well.

One could see why he is jealous of Dean, a guy in good shape who looks after himself and is always in good humour.

Compared to Damien who seems to live in grubby looking t shirts, has a bad posture, never takes his hands out of his pockets and seems to be always in bad form.

It's just surprising he got anywhere near Caoimhe in the first place.

How come Damien never stood up to Suzanne and can only be aggressive when it is totally uncalled for?

Yeah, they were involved in the first gay kiss on ANY soap. Was big at the time.

At least I think it was them?

LOL :D
    jace6 wrote: »
    How come Damien never stood up to Suzanne and can only be aggressive when it is totally uncalled for?

Because he's a big pansy!

What can we expect this evening from this extraordinary soap? Will Robbie die? No. Will Damien beat up Dean? No.

Will we have silly arguments? Yes! Loads.

Will the words 'morphine', 'i'll killl ya meself', 'caddle', 'Father Bertie', 'i'm a dying man!', be uttered. Most probably.

De Bild wrote: »
    What can we expect this evening from this extraordinary soap? Will Robbie die? No. Will Damien beat up Dean? No.

Will we have silly arguments? Yes! Loads.

Will the words 'morphine', 'i'll killl ya meself', 'caddle', 'Father Bertie', 'i'm a dying man!', be uttered. Most probably.

Ahhh sure just another day in Carrigstown so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement