Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v8] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I did warn her

In fairness no man could have done more ;)

I know Damien and Caoimhe had trouble over her wanting to be a doctor.

But who made the split?

Damien gave his approval and then Caoimhe said soon after it was too late, she didn't love him any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

nagdefy wrote: »
    An article from the Irish Independent 3rd August 1995 on a dispute over pay between Glenroe and Fair City actors. See attached. P.s. The temperature reached 32.3C that day! It was some summer, 3 great mts.

As far as I remember didn't Glenroe keep excellent viewing figures up until the end but the D4s didn't want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

As far as I remember didn't Glenroe keep excellent viewing figures up until the end but the D4s didn't want it

It was once a week in a prime time slot when there was 2 stations and most didn't have access to other stations. Would want to have been cleaning up, viewer wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Remind me why Carol's father was in prison and how he's back out so soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

vkid wrote: »
    Sweet mother of god, how much worse can this get...and rte want to increase the licence fee...jog on

Yep. The RTE mandarins have gone full Dallas/Dynasty nuclear without the budget, cast and societal acceptance of 1980s American soap. Aussies did the same.....oh wait.:rolleyes:

It was once a week in a prime time slot when there was 2 stations and most didn't have access to other stations. Would want to have been cleaning up, viewer wise.

It was once a week when FC was twice a week in primetime slots and we had lots of channels via Satellite TV. Glenroe was an outdated concept at that stage and after it was cancelled FC went all year round and now entertains us 4 fooking nights a week!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    It was once a week when FC was twice a week in primetime slots and we had lots of channels via Satellite TV. Glenroe was an outdated concept at that stage and after it was cancelled FC went all year round and now entertains us 4 fooking nights a week!

Sunday evening tv is as prime time as you get. FC was on at 7.30 back then on a Tuesday and Thursday so much harder slot to attract viewers

Yes i think as TTB said it had a monopoly.

Also it started in 1983, 6 years before Fair City and also was a follow on from Bracken with Miley and Dinny continuing etc.

Joe Lynch seems to have had an opinion of himself on £60,000 a year for a one episode a week soap. In the later years of the soap he was often away in Spain. That was great money, basically in pre celtic tiger Ireland. The roots of the tiger began in 1994, the US World Cup etc but it was 1997 before it really kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Did you ever watch a show and, at the back of your mind, you are mentally listing all the inconsistent, illogical and downright impossible things that were happening on screen? Good drama gets you so involved in the plot and characters that you don't have time to focus on anything else. Fair City, on the other hand....

I know I shouldn't be expecting much, I know that. But really now:

1. 6 local people in Spar on a workday morning, all at the same time and all having different conversation which happened to suit their plotline. I go to Spar nearby about 4 times a week and in that time if I have seen 3 people I know, that's a lot. Damien, Jane, Carol, Robbie, Cathal, Coimhe and Tommy all in the shop at the exact same time, presumable purchasing something that slipped their mind when they were in there YESTERDAY MORNING!!!

2. Caoimhe goes on lunch at Vinos busiest time of the day, leaving the chef to take orders, cook the meals, take payments and serve the food!

3. A community centre where 2 big thugs straight out of Love Hate just stroll in and somehow, despite the room being filled with people, manage to kidnap a big ugly lug like Robbie, drag him upstairs, rough him up, and conveniently arrive in the lift just to the beat of Cathal saying "Whos behind the magic door"??? Go and fcuk yourself!

4. Robbie, covered with blood, is allowed to stay in the middle of the community centre to have his Resevoir Dogs face off with Cathal in front of members of the public when, in reality, the Guards would have been called the second that the 2 big lads tried to drag Cathal off. Even the receptionist was nowhere to be seen. That really is one of the poorest scenes I have ever seen on FC.

5. Jane and Cathal have a coffee together in Vinos. Two scenes later, Jane walks back into Vinos, sees Cathal sitting in a different seat and says "Hello again". Eh?? Where did you go between your coffee 10 mins ago and now walking back to Vinos.

6. Trigger walks into the Station. He turns to walk off, quickly pursued by Robbie. It seems when Trigger walked out the door, he turned into Usain Bolt because, half a millisecond later, Robbie turns to Carol and says "Hes gone" :D:D:D:D:D:D

7. Does Debbie not work anymore- she is always to be found sitting down reading a paper these days.

8. Deegan cant find a neighbours daughter who is locked up less than a mile away but he makes it his business to insist some lads put a can in the bin.

9. Pete told a blatant lie "Youre not the only guard John". Eh, Pete, yes he is!!!

10. Your man stormed out of the job after Bob told him their arrangement couldn't continue, 2 seconds later hes having drinks with him and Renee.....

Good drama FC most certainly aint...

• Advertisement

Sunday evening tv is as prime time as you get. FC was on at 7.30 back then on a Tuesday and Thursday so much harder slot to attract viewers

It wasn't a problem for the BBC and ITV with Eastenders and Corrie. Leading soaps with a much better reputation. The Sunday evening 8.30 slot was a backward RTE thing and still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Robbie looks like Father Damo out of father Ted with his hair like that!
    Oasis or Blur????!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Why exactly did Jane turn against Cathal? What exactly did he do? Just found out Dermot was back???

You could fry an egg on Greasy's head.

fin12 wrote: »
    You could fry an egg on Greasy's head.

Imagine running your hands through that!

Do not look if you want to sleep tonight!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4140/4796387082_80406e8759_b.jpg

Remind me why Carol's father was in prison and how he's back out so soon?

He punched Carol in the face a few times on her wedding and then Robbie beat him up and the guards were called, but I not remember was he put in Jail for beating Carol up or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

FFS Ciaran Holloway was his real name!

Didn't Pete get a new job, he should go to it. They're really giving up at acting at the moment (more than usual)

In a room in the community center he booked and no one calls the Gardaí
    Who is on litter patrol soon of course.
    Is Robbie going to get Cathal or not?
    Some tough guy......just get a few army buddies and kick sh*t out of him.

But most importantly WHAT A PILE OF SH1TE

bingocat wrote: »
    This is absolutely ridiculous and indicative of how bad Fair City is produced.

As if you could sit there having just been beaten up with lads behind you without anyone batting an eyelid.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »
    He punched Carol in the face a few times on her wedding and then Robbie beat him up and the guards were called, but I not remember was he put in Jail for beating Carol up or something else.

I think Wayne gave evidence that he saw Trigger attack Carol at the wedding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

It's gone so ****e now ya can't even rip the piss outta it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Barry not in same prison as Dermot and Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Jaysis, just how disgustingly filthy is the footpath outside the Hungry Pig? Twice in two minutes tonight we saw poor Éamo scrubbing it down with a brush. Not an ordinary brush, a great big fcukin' yardbrush Are fellas coming out of there and spewing up their burgers'n'chips without even getting a little way down the street.
    It should be called the Dirty Pig.

I predict that homeless Éamonn will soon be working for Chris-ti-Ano very soon in that massive coffee emporium. The one with two tables and four chairs. But at least the poor divil might get inside for a few minutes.

Cathal Spillane (he's bad news, by the way) doesn't mind if you insult him, he'll just grin at you like a shark. But if you dare to call his ould fellah names, he'll get his two bodyguards to kidnap you, drag you into a lift, squirt your chin with ketchup, and mess up your hair, the hair that you've the past two hours carefully spraying with WD40.
    You have been warned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

My main worry is poor Dolores. She no longer has a roof over her head, nor a bed to call her own. She is destined to walk the streets of Carrigstown for all eternity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

My main worry is poor Dolores. She no longer has a roof over her head, nor a bed to call her own. She is destined to walk the streets of Carrigstown for all eternity. :(

Usually with an empty coffee cup and a fella nobody likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

nagdefy wrote: »
    Damien gave his approval and then Caoimhe said soon after it was too late, she didn't love him any more.

Can't blame her, he's a wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 18,810 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not quite sure why Cathal is starting a feud with Robbie? There doesn't seem to be any clash of business interest between the two or reason why they would be squaring up to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭LushiousLips

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why Cathal is starting a feud with Robbie? There doesn't seem to be any clash of business interest between the two or reason why they would be squaring up to each other.

Its totally unbelievable and utterly stupid. There are so many 'whys' when watching it. I think its giving me a headache between FC and the heat :eek:

48 page spread about Cathal in The Times today.

newspaper-headlines-bad-news-picture-id174071285?s=170667a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Has Dolores only the one green top?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement