Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LGBTQIA+

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

List real life examples of where an LGBTQ+ person rammed it down your throat.
    Falcon L wrote: »
    gizmo81 wrote: »
    I note the thanks your post has gotten but what exactly is 'ram your beliefs down my throat' . .
    Is it a gay couple appearing in a tv advert?
    Is it commemorating and celebrating Pride?
    Is it holding a memorial for The Pink Triangle, The AIDS Epidemic?
    Is it a gay character on a soap?
    Is it a transgender person walking down the street?
    Is it choosing how to identify, be it as gay, queer?
    Is it that Queer Theory is a field of study in Universities?
    Is it that I dare to breath?
    What are my beliefs? What are these universal beliefs of the LGBTQ+ Community?
    Well, as I see all of the above as fitting into the NOMFB belief, I'd say that it's not my concern. I'll simplify for you. If you're hissing and spitting in my face about your beliefs (whatever they may be) you're ramming them down my throat. If you're going about your life, just as I am, then NOMFB. Understand now? If you're outraged that I'm not outraged, then you've got problems that I'm not qualified to address. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

List real life example of where I said they did.

I think you need to get over yourself. You're gay, no big deal. I'm not, no big deal. I'm not religious. Again, no big deal. Whatever floats your boat.

I don't care whether you're gay, religious, black, green, a cyclist, a car driver, a hippie or anything else. I simply don't care. Sorry, but I don't. If you're a nice person in my estimation, we'll get along fine. If you're a pain in the hole, I'll not darken your door again, and I'll request that you don't darken mine.

List real life example of where I said they did.

I think you need to get over yourself. You're gay, no big deal. I'm not, no big deal. I'm not religious. Again, no big deal. Whatever floats your boat.

I don't care whether you're gay, religious, black, green, a cyclist, a car driver, a hippie or anything else. I simply don't care. Sorry, but I don't. If you're a nice person in my estimation, we'll get along fine. If you're a pain in the hole, I'll not darken your door again, and I'll request that you don't darken mine.

So, Are you a doomsday bunker type of person?

Is it that you have no RL examples of gays ramming anything down your throat but you are prepared for when they do?

Talk about 'Masculintiy-in-crisis'! Yet, they accuse gays of being snowflakes. PMSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

A lot of people are asking about the T aspect of LGBT and its place in the community:

Scenerio: Assigned female at birth, as you grow up you're struggling with your identity and as part of that notice you are attracted to women. It is a lot easier to explore that side as a possible reason for feeling like you do, rather than try to cope with the head melting prospect of coming out as Trans. So, to Joe Soap you are now a lesbian (or bisexual etc).

It is only natural in most cases (not everybody likes the community) that you would gravitate to other LGB people. So you build yourself a foundation of friendship etc within this community and after X amount of time may realise that you still don't feel that sense of belonging and may continue on and explore your gender.

Not all Trans people first come out as gay or bi but (in the past anyway) a lot do as "lesser evil" "more accepted" first step. Why would you just bugger off on possibly years of friendships and relationships and safe community?

Trans people are allys of LGB folk and visa versa and both sets of people alone have done tremendous work for each others rights. So that's why the T is part of LGB to my mind.

I try not get involved in these threads anymore, to be honest, as already pointed out there appears to be an obsession by non LGBT folk to keep the topic to the front of boards to feed their keyboard warrior side. However for those that have a genuine curiosity on the inclusion of T, I felt like I should pitch in.

Its likely i won't respond to anything else on this topic here as it's generally just people trolling for arguments so don't await a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

So, Are you a doomsday bunker type of person?

Is it that you have no RL examples of gays ramming anything down your throat but you are prepared for when they do?

Talk about 'Masculintiy-in-crisis'! Yet, they accuse gays of being snowflakes. PMSL
    Wut?

Ah here. You're determined to paint me as a bad guy, aren't you? I'll say it one more time, then I'm out of your paranoid existence. I don't care! You're just another person to me, nothing else.

I reckon that you're the kind of person that I wouldn't get along with. Not because you're gay, but because you seem to be a pain in the hole. You seem to be disgusted with me because I'm not outraged about you being gay.

Last time....I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grayson wrote: »
    Still the Pride marches and stuff are important to remember what it was like and celebrate what it is now.

Jesus, I never thought about it like that before. Thanks for that. I haven't been to one yet but would say it's great fun and would like to go sometime.

Wut?

Ah here. You're determined to paint me as a bad guy, aren't you? I'll say it one more time, then I'm out of your paranoid existence. I don't care! You're just another person to me, nothing else.

I reckon that you're the kind of person that I wouldn't get along with. Not because you're gay, but because you seem to be a pain in the hole. You seem to be disgusted with me because I'm not outraged about you being gay.

Last time....I don't care.

I'm just trying to understand what you mean by beliefs. What has LGBTQ+ to do with beliefs? An where does this paranoia of things being rammed down your threat comes from. You can't even tell me what these beliefs are that are being rammed down your throat.

It seems completely irrational.

LGBTQ+ people exist that is not a belief, it is a reality, there is proof.

LGBTQ+ people wanting rights, wanting representation is not a case of a belief being rammed down your throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I again don't care about anyone's sexuality, far be it from me to judge what another person likes in the privacy of their own bedroom. Not my business. I'm all for gay couples being able to get married, I mean why deny them the chance to be as miserable as the rest of us? I voted yes in the marriage equality referendum and id vote yes to let a gay couple adopt children without all this "a child needs a mother bull****".

But what I've found with a lot of gay people, they're constantly looking for something to be offended about. They take offence to everything, you attempt to explain. I offence meant and they're offended about that and they'll get so hysterical about it there's literally no talking to them. Throughout college my closest friend was gay and he was very much like that, and I see it online ALL the time. It's not their sexuality it's their personality I seem to clash with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-SterlingArcher do not post in this thread again.

Just making note so it's clear since I'm being told not to post in here and called a dick by a "mod"

So no ban? Just at his/her discretion no recourse don't post here. And why? their reasons?? Being a dick. Thats opinion.

My post being I outright denied the statement by a poster that boards.ie is hosting a forum of hate and attacks against gay people as being ridiculous exaggerations .

The result me being noted not to post. Which perhaps I would of left to it. But then called a dick. Nope.

I disagree Conspectus. You should not post notes as above on here. Reason - being a stupid dick.

No notes ban me. So I can see you in appeals. Where I'll be wanting an apology you'll get yours in kind. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just making note so it's clear since I'm being told not to post in here and called a dick by a "mod"

So no ban? Just at his/her discretion no recourse don't post here. And why? their reasons?? Being a dick. Thats opinion.

My post being I outright denied the statement by a poster that boards.ie is hosting a forum of hate and attacks against gay people as being ridiculous exaggerations .

The result me being noted not to post. Which perhaps I would of left to it. But then called a dick. Nope.

I disagree Conspectus. You should not post notes as above on here. Reason - being a stupid dick.

I remember my first beer.

I again don't care about anyone's sexuality, far be it from me to judge what another person likes in the privacy of their own bedroom. Not my business. I'm all for gay couples being able to get married, I mean why deny them the chance to be as miserable as the rest of us? I voted yes in the marriage equality referendum and id vote yes to let a gay couple adopt children without all this "a child needs a mother bull****".

But what I've found with a lot of gay people, they're constantly looking for something to be offended about. They take offence to everything, you attempt to explain. I offence meant and they're offended about that and they'll get so hysterical about it there's literally no talking to them. Throughout college my closest friend was gay and he was very much like that, and I see it online ALL the time. It's not their sexuality it's their personality I seem to clash with

Your basing your opinion on the entire LGBTQ+ community on one friend in college and online personas?

If you said that about black people you'd be labeled racist!

^ like I said, case in point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nagnata

I again don't care about anyone's sexuality, far be it from me to judge what another person likes in the privacy of their own bedroom.
    What if someone is a nonce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

In 10+yrs we'll probably see R+ or H+ (which would relate to interfacing with AI-sentiment beings).
    'when Robots get sexy' - this would be a great name for a book/movie/band.

Quantum superposition computing and machine learning are real things.
    So too will be neural gateway implants, into a cloud consciousness.

Naturally somewhere like Japan will be the early adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I never understood the B. Surely the L and G covers it. Not sure L is even necessary, wouldn't G suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nagnata wrote: »
    What if someone is a nonce?

You're the second person to equate being gay with being a child molester.

This thread is pure garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I never understood the B. Surely the L and G covers it. Not sure L is even necessary, wouldn't G suffice?

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

?

No worries,we just don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I always had a creeping suspicion that I was a figment of my own imagination...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'll probably get flack for this but all of these new definitions to me smack of total attention seeking "look at me, I'm so special and unique" crap. When you hear about pansexual genderfluid non binaries, to be honest all I actually hear is "I'm a non conformist and I want everyone to know that". And in my honest opinion they're actually doing a lot to delegitimise the movement towards a society free of gender roles. The common acronym among alt-right types is "LGBTOMGWTFBBQ" and I honestly can't really blame them for taking the piss at this stage, which is infuriating - I despise seeing useful idiots giving ammunition to the right by basically being obnoxious twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those that don't want to be labelled tend to create the most labels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I mean really, does it actually matter or impact your life in any way?

No? I didn't think so.

Its a relevant discussion,
    But if i called a gay guy a queer id be called a homophobic, but queer is part of their acronym, is that not a bit of a double standard ?
    It would be homophobic because you'd be trying to offend him if you called him queer
    The word queer just means uncommon , it's not a necessarily insulting word on its own
    But depending on intent, it Can be . This argument is tiresome , you know well why white people cant say Nigg*r don't you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Apologies for any offence caused by my post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I'll probably get flack for this but all of these new definitions to me smack of total attention seeking "look at me, I'm so special and unique" crap. When you hear about pansexual genderfluid non binaries, to be honest all I actually hear is "I'm a non conformist and I want everyone to know that". And in my honest opinion they're actually doing a lot to delegitimise the movement towards a society free of gender roles. The common acronym among alt-right types is "LGBTOMGWTFBBQ" and I honestly can't really blame them for taking the piss at this stage, which is infuriating - I despise seeing useful idiots giving ammunition to the right by basically being obnoxious twats.

There are three possible combinations.

You're a man and you like wans.

You're a man and you like man bum.

You're a man and you like wans and man bum.

That's it.

Any of that cisgender I'm a gender fluid lumpy potato crap and I know I'm talking to a narcissistic tosspot who needs to get off the computer and realize there's a big blue world out there with so much to see and do.

afdbef81a022ed38157068eda8984b28.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's it.

Any of that cisgender I'm a gender fluid potato crap and I know I'm talking to a narcissistic tosspot who needs to get off the computer and realise there's a big blue world out there with so much to see and do.

Very Victorian really considering you seem to think Lesbians and Bi Women and Trans people don't exist. Bizarre.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That's it.

Any of that cisgender I'm a gender fluid lumpy potato crap and I know I'm talking to a narcissistic tosspot who needs to get off the computer and realize there's a big blue world out there with so much to see and do.

afdbef81a022ed38157068eda8984b28.gif

Asexuals don't exist?

Asexuals don't exist?

Women don't exist in that bizarre rant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

That's nothing new on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That's nothing new on AH.

If you have an issue with a post, report it. Any further pot shots at AH and you'll have no issues because I'll remove your access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Very Victorian really considering you seem to think Lesbians and Bi Women and Trans people don't exist. Bizarre.

14ba115e6fd0e2adb7982d3f1fa27f3c--ted-quotes-father-ted.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Correction , women dont exist in that "offensive" bizarre rant.

14ba115e6fd0e2adb7982d3f1fa27f3c--ted-quotes-father-ted.jpg

giphy.gif

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Equality isnt about being the same. I am a gay man. I am different. That does not mean I am not equal.

But you aren't different.

You're just like everyone else, trying their best day in and day out.

If you want to label yourself and cry victim. That's your problem.

• Advertisement

But you aren't different.

You're just like everyone else, trying their best day in and day out.

If you want to label yourself and cry victim. That's your problem.

Fair enough. You are entitled to that opinion. I really don't understand why you think homosexuality and heterosexuality are the same thing when they are clearly different. The human race has many differences. It is bizarre to me people want to deny that.

Terry Pratchet

There are many differences for sure, but your sexuality or your religion or your colour does not make you special. You are no different to anyone else, despite what your sexual preferences or how persecuted you may feel.

There are many differences for sure, but your sexuality or your religion or your colour does not make you special. You are no different to anyone else, despite what your sexual preferences or how persecuted you may feel.

Bizarre. You just basically said "you are different but you are not different"

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough. You are entitled to that opinion. I really don't understand why you think homosexuality and heterosexuality are the same thing when they are clearly different. The human race has many differences. It is bizarre to me people want to deny that.

Nobody is denying anything.

I sleep beside a woman at night and you sleep beside a man.

We still have to wake up, go to work and pay the billls.

No difference.

What's bizarre is the need to constantly feel like you're a victim. You're not. You like men, so do I. You like anal, I might if I ever tried it.
    You're not different. You're not special. Nobody cafes who you're banging. Unless it's someone's husband cause then someone might care but day to day, it's nothing.

• Advertisement

No she didn't.

Bizarre :confused:

What's bizarre is the need to constantly feel like you're a victim. You're not. You like men, so do I. You like anal, I might if I ever tried it.
    You're not different. You're not special. Nobody cafes who you're banging. Unless it's someone's husband cause then someone might care but day to day, it's nothing.

No. It is quite bizarre that you want to deny any difference at all. And please drop the patronising crap telling me how I feel.

Terry Pratchet

No. It is quite bizarre that you want to deny any difference at all. And please drop the patronising crap telling me how I feel.

Sorry, didn't mean to trigger you

All gay men 'like anal'?

Sorry, didn't mean to trigger you

Right ok. You have no argument so you resort to personal attacks.

:rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

I'm also feeling triggered. Could you please stop patronising me by implying "I want to deny" things I haven't actually said? I'd appreciate it if you could actually address what I type and not what you feel I type, although I do recognise your feelings are important.

All gay men 'like anal'?

A large number don't

Terry Pratchet

Ultimately we're all different, so what's the point in even saying it?

Unless you define yourself by your sexuality, rather than saying it's just an aspect of your personality. And if that is the case I think you might want to consider broadening your scope .

Right ok. You have no argument so you resort to personal attacks.

:rolleyes:
    Sorry, I'm genuinely apologising if my posts have made you feel like a victim

I'm also feeling triggered. Could you please stop patronising me by implying "I want to deny" things I haven't actually said? I'd appreciate it if you could actually address what I type and not what you feel I type, although I do recognise your feelings are important.

You are denying difference. There really is no argument there. I'm not engaging on the personal attacks anymore so don't bother with that.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement