Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Ideas - Donegal

Options
  • 08-07-2017 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know it isn't a popular choice to do this, but my partner and I are going to go up way north for a few days for a holiday. We don't want do a lot of things but if there are a few cool things to do, we wouldn't mind.

We'd be interested in markets, easy walks for views, and any 'hidden gem' type of places. We wouldn't mind travelling either as I've actually already seen a few places in areas that are quite far. Current ideas are:

-Marble arch caves
    -Karting @ Londonderry
    -Malin head (actually staying quite close to Malin head)
    -The Gobbins
    -Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge (already been here and Causeway, but just making this trip to it again because this place is memorable to us, thus making a trip out of it and going towards the much further place the Gobbins and Belfast town as well)
    -St. George's Market in Belfast
    -Arena 7 for dinner

As you can see, most of these plans are actually outside of Donegal. I just can't seem to find places of interest through Google. Here is where I need all you Boardsies' help. If there's an area you know that would be nice to visit, please do advise! Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Last time I checked, Malin Head was in Donegal.
    Whereabouts are you staying, I live close to Malin myself.

Have you conisdered a walk around Derry City? Its a small, compact city and there are loads of places to eat and drink, and its very reasonable. Worth a walk around the ancient walls, only 1km or so to do the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

NIMAN wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Malin Head was in Donegal.
    Whereabouts are you staying, I live close to Malin myself.

Have you conisdered a walk around Derry City? Its a small, compact city and there are loads of places to eat and drink, and its very reasonable. Worth a walk around the ancient walls, only 1km or so to do the loop.

Sorry, edited the sentence to say 'most' of the ideas are elsewhere. My bad.

Staying at Redcastle.

Will definitely do that one of the days. Thank you very much!

Are you based in Redcastle i.e. are you coming back there each day you go travelling?

Are you staying in Redcastle Hotel? Its very nice if you are.

As for other possibilities for things to do:
    The brand new Museum of Free Derry has just opened in the Bogside, well worth a visit.
    In Donegal, consider a trip to Glenveagh National Park, its beautiful, and very scenic.
    Also, a bit of a hidden gem for me, would be Oakfield Park in Raphoe. Its a private house and grounds owned by Gerry Robinson, and it is stunning. A great couple of hours walk at least around the grounds.

I also enjoyed a trip to Bushmills distillery a few years back. Worth a visit.
    If you like walks along beaches then there are lovely blue flag ones in Culdaff and Five Finger Strand in Malin.
    Also a couple in the North at Benone and Portstewart are also fantastic.

Grianan Of Aileach fort in Co. Donegal
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186601-d582480-Reviews-Grianan_Of_Aileach-County_Donegal.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Last time I checked, Carrick a reide was vandalised and is closed

Are you based in Redcastle i.e. are you coming back there each day you go travelling?

Are you staying in Redcastle Hotel? Its very nice if you are.

Yes, we would be travelling back to Redcastle each day.

And yes on that, too! Redcastle Hotel is where we're going to be staying at. :)

• Advertisement

I just looked at the news about it. That's absolutely disgusting news. Who in their right minds would even attempt to do that?! That's really frustrating. What has this world come to.

Can't confirm if they are still closed down though. Hopefully not, but will still try and find more information about it.

I think it might be open again.

Looked through National Trust's Facebook page and they did announce on the 25th of May that it's back open. So plans are back on track. :D

Any other ideas of 'hidden gems' to visit? :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It was reopened not long after the vandalism. I guess the damage wasn't as bad as initially reported.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40031352

Yes, we would be travelling back to Redcastle each day.

And yes on that, too! Redcastle Hotel is where we're going to be staying at. :)

You'll be well impressed, its a beautiful hotel, and a nice location.
    (thats where the Star Wars 'stars' stayed when they were filming in Malin Head last year, so if its good enough for them......)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Nancy's in Ballyliffin recently won an award for their seafood chowder if you go that direction (maybe 30 mins from Greencastle)

As mentioned, the Grianan Of Aileach is a nice spot as is Glenveagh National Park (have great cakes too). It's actually a lovely drive from Glenveagh to Gweedore too. The scenery is impressive and shows how vast the land is. An Chuirt do decent food and isn't far from the abandoned church at Dunlewey and has great views of Errigal

Not many markets around. There is one in Letterkenny on Saturday. One at Harry's Bar in Bridge End too, but I'm not sure if its still going since restaurant closed recently.

Red Door in Fahan could be a spot to check out for food as is the Lemon Tree in Letterkenny.

Might be an idea to let us know if you would like to eat on a budget or if money is no option, could help narrow down places to recommend.

Second Nancy's Barn, good grub.
    Also check out the Rusty Nail in Clonmany direction, top quality pub grub.

Might be an idea to let us know if you would like to eat on a budget or if money is no option, could help narrow down places to recommend.

Second Nancy's Barn, good grub.
    Also check out the Rusty Nail in Clonmany direction, top quality pub grub.

Well, in terms of food, the few places that we're looking at are boathouse near redcastle, Steamboat in Belfast itself for some Korean meals, and Arena 7 for some meal and a bit of bowling(worked there before so it may be a weird choice for a meal but that's because me wanting to visit :pac: )

So I'm guessing that sort of a range? I'd imagine that would be around €60 a meal in any of those places so that sort of a budget. If there are better ones, I'd definitely consider. Would like it to be more of a restaurant than a pub though, but I will still check those options out as soon as I get home. Thank you very much!

As I mentioned, consider:

Nancys Barn, Ballyliffin
    Rusty Nail, Clonmany
    McGrorys, Culdaff

If visiting Derry for a day, consider Quay West, a short walk out of town centre. It always has 30% off your food and drink bill, and food is good. Probably best to book in advance, as always busy.

Sooty Olive also nice.
    If you fancy something different, I have heard good reports on Cedar, a Lebanese restaurant in the city centre.

Harrys in Bridgend is always worth a visit too.

Thank you all very much! Of all the restaurant suggestions, the menu at Quaywest has definitely gotten my interest. We'll try and get in there at around lunch time. Thanks again!

We'll also go to Grianan of Aileach, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Foyle Ferry between Greencastle and Magilligan would be useful for going to Carrick-a-Rede and the Giants Causeway.

I'm not sure if you'd want to do a driving tour since you'll be driving so much going to Northern Ireland all the time, but the Inishowen 100 route could be a pleasant way to spend a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Harrys in Bridgend is always worth a visit too.

Is Harry's not closed now?

McGaggs wrote: »
    The Foyle Ferry between Greencastle and Magilligan would be useful for going to Carrick-a-Rede and the Giants Causeway.

I'm not sure if you'd want to do a driving tour since you'll be driving so much going to Northern Ireland all the time, but the Inishowen 100 route could be a pleasant way to spend a day.

I looked into that but it seems like they are not running this year at all according to this:
    http://www.derryjournal.com/news/foyle-ferry-operator-will-not-provide-service-next-year-1-7698048

Is that true?

Also, I wouldn't mind doing that Inishowen 100 route, but is there an easy way of following the route round, or is it just a matter of trying to find our own way by looking for signs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Restaurant if you like fish - Kealys seafood bar in Greencastle.

Place to visit - Moville pottery in Moville (say hi to the dogs)

I looked into that but it seems like they are not running this year at all according to this:
    http://www.derryjournal.com/news/foyle-ferry-operator-will-not-provide-service-next-year-1-7698048

Is that true?

Also, I wouldn't mind doing that Inishowen 100 route, but is there an easy way of following the route round, or is it just a matter of trying to find our own way by looking for signs?

Ferry was meant to start July 1st but there have been delays - it looks like it will start next weekend https://m.facebook.com/loughfoyleferry/

Inishowen 100 well signposted and maps with places of interest available locally.

The hotel will also have loads of ideas.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Ferry running from July 1st to end September.

Inishowen 100 well signposted and maps with places of interest available locally.

The hotel will also have loads of ideas.

Great! Thank you! The ferry would save a good bit of driving I'd say. Will definitely use this service.

Thanks a lot!

Restaurant if you like fish - Kealys seafood bar in Greencastle.

Place to visit - Moville pottery in Moville (say hi to the dogs)

I do love fish, but I'm afraid my partner doesn't. She likes seafood but is allergic to it when she eats a lot so I would probably prefer to have some sort of variation on the menu. I did look at Kealys though and they do look lovely. We'll see if you could have a light lunch there or something. Thanks a lot!

Could you make your own pots at the pottery or is it just a shop? The website isn't really filled with a lot of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is that true?

I'd heard it was to start around now. Looks like there's been some delays: http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/07/07/foyle-ferry-service-will-not-run-this-weekend-as-was-previously-planend/

The 100 route is signposted, but I couldn't tell you how well as I know the route from being from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Windchimes

Doagh Famine Village is well worth a visit. The tour is very informative.

Could you make your own pots at the pottery or is it just a shop? The website isn't really filled with a lot of information.

They do have make your own sessions
    https://www.facebook.com/movillepottery/

It's a while since I was there, but you can view and walk through the throwing area. Small operation (2-3 potters) but a very genuine craft pottery.

Lowry the main guy used to be the fastest mug thrower in Europe - at 80 mugs an hour!

They do have make your own sessions
    https://www.facebook.com/movillepottery/

It's a while since I was there, but you can view and walk through the throwing area. Small operation (2-3 potters) but a very genuine craft pottery.

Lowry the main guy used to be the fastest mug thrower in Europe - at 80 mugs an hour!

Even on the facebook website, it seems like you can only paint your own mug, doesn't seem like you can try and 'make' your own. Not sure if it would be of interest for my partner, but I've sent them a message to see if they would allow us to try create our own pots. Thanks a lot!

Another thing I actually forgot as well is, what would be cheaper in the NI than here? Just for simple things such as petrol, should I fill up full here and probably a second fill in Donegal? Or is fuel cheaper in the NI?

So yeah, what else would be cheaper in the NI? We wouldn't mind a little shopping. Is the Factory Outlet in Banbridge(I think) worth visiting?

My partner is actually looking for a Samsung S3 smartwatch. Would electronics be generally cheaper in the NI than ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Another thing I actually forgot as well is, what would be cheaper in the NI than here? Just for simple things such as petrol, should I fill up full here and probably a second fill in Donegal? Or is fuel cheaper in the NI?

So yeah, what else would be cheaper in the NI? We wouldn't mind a little shopping. Is the Factory Outlet in Banbridge(I think) worth visiting?

My partner is actually looking for a Samsung S3 smartwatch. Would electronics be generally cheaper in the NI than ROI?
    Given the current exchange rate there wouldnt really be much difference in the fuel costs but Id think it is probably still a couple of cents/litre cheaper here particularly if you watch out for the different prices at different filling stations.

Electrical and electronic products have always been cheaper in NI subject of course to the exchange rate so I think its fairly safe to say that buying a specific watch in NI should save a few quid.

On a general note a lot of shops will have "their" exchange rate on display (still one or two in NI that wont accept Euro) so worth making a note of that and compare to cost of paying by CC. Just watch out if paying by cash as some stores will charge you on whatevr Euros you give them. For example if you buy something in NI for £15 you will be told that if paying in Euros it will be €18 (maybe €20 as they round up the notes). So if you hand over a €50 note some shops will change that to sterling first (say £45) and then hand you back £30 in change which may or may not be useful depending on whether you intend to do more shopping or paying for more items in sterling.

Some shops will only charge you on €20 on a £15 purchase (say €20 = £18) and give you €30 and £3 in change put of your €50 note. And then there's an odd shop here and there especially those closer to the border who will price their products in sterling and euros and allow you to pay either way and if you need change out of larger euro notes then you will get euros back.

Best to check out the store policies when entering and then decide what way to pay.

Diesel is about 10c-15c more expensive in NI. Petrol is about the same price northa nd south.

Factory Outlet Banbridge is half empty last time I was there in February. (Family in Ballycastle) Even the other half didn't buy anything it was that bad. Most fo the stores are stores you only ever see in outlets centres with the stock "made for outlet". A few exceptions such as Timberland, Gap, FatFace, Nike & M&S (quite small) As I live close to Kildare Town, I'd be comparing with Kildare Village. Worth dropping into for a break, but you won't spend more than a couple of hours there.

Electronics - most of the newer stuff has been repriced due to sterling weakness, so you may find difference very small and probably not worth it considering any hassle you may have if there's a fault.

• Advertisement

There's a big outlet place in Antrim, junction one.

Advertisement