Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 stage 9: Nantua > Chambéry - 181,5 km

Options
  • 08-07-2017 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Bloody hell .....looks mega tough...the final climb is a monster but the descent is where we might see the loss of the Tour for a few riders though could be neutralized if there are storms,which are forecast

j4ryW.png

General classification top 10 after stage 7:

1. Christopher FROOME
    2. Geraint THOMAS + 12''
    3. Fabio ARU + 14''
    4. Daniel MARTIN + 25''
    5. Richie PORTE + 39''
    6. Simon YATES + 43''
    7. Romain BARDET + 47''
    8. Alberto CONTADOR + 52''
    9. Nairo QUINTANA + 54''
    10. Rafal MAJKA + 1'01''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I can see froome extending his lead here, if Contador can stay with them to the final decent ( doesn't look like it these days) he might have a go

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Odds are pretty crap, as likely to be a randomer from a break as any of the GC guys so not much value. If its a GC day, Dan sprints as well as any of them.

Chris Froome 5
    Thibaut Pinot 9
    Fabio Aru 9
    Daniel Martin 10
    Romain Bardet 10
    Richie Porte 16
    Pierre Rolland 16
    George Bennett 25
    Rafal Majka 20
    Nairo Quintana 25
    Simon Yates 28
    Robert Gesink 25
    Esteban Chaves 25
    Jakob Fuglsang 28
    Darwin Atapuma 40

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't heard or seen it mentioned anywhere but is this the Queen stage? If not, what stage is? No other stage has 3 HC climbs, although altitude wise it's okay.

No secret I have a soft spot for Pierre Rolland. He's been pretty quiet so far and I expected him to go today but maybe this is his stage? If he can deliver a performance like he did a few weeks ago I fancy him for this if he goes in a break.

I bought into the hype of Porte being in great form prior to the tour but once we get here it's hard or impossible to look at the team Froome has around him and say Porte has say chance.

I haven't heard or seen it mentioned anywhere but is this the Queen stage? If not, what stage is? No other stage has 3 HC climbs, although altitude wise it's okay.

Asked myself the same earlier when they said it was the hardest etc. If this isn't a queen stage what is :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thursday's is higher and looks nearly as brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'd definitely think it's the queen stage, looks harder than stages 12 and 17 to me anyway.

Posted it previously, but this mini-guide is very handy - https://i.imgur.com/BGR9ZIb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Weepsie wrote: »
    Thursday's is higher and looks nearly as brutal.

Yep, Thursday's is one of the longest stages of the tour too, with most of the climbing in the latter half of the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I bought into the hype of Porte being in great form prior to the tour

Alas, the old adage, two swallows does not a summer make, rings very true here.

Today is a great opportunity for all the GC riders to give it 100% and not play safe given that tomorrow is a rest day and Tuesday & Wednesday are flat stages.

• Advertisement

Demare dropped at km 0.001 clearly not recovered from his ills.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Inquitus wrote: »
    Odds are pretty crap, as likely to be a randomer from a break as any of the GC guys so not much value. If its a GC day, Dan sprints as well as any of them.

5/1 for Froome seems good. He will be pulling at least one Ax3 performance out of the bag this year and today seems like a good candidate. Two of Richie Portes team wasted a lot of energy in the break yesterday, and as mentioned above tomorrow is a rest day followed by relatively flat days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

There's no way Demare is going to finish today's stage. He's already been overtaken by the team cars.

Massive group up the road already, weather looks a bit dicey too, could be in for carnage today....hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Massive group up the road already, weather looks a bit dicey too, could be in for carnage today....hopefully!

Poor Kirby had the gangs with the torches around knocking at his door for less than that, better have a bucket of water ready by your letter box!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Poor Kirby had the gangs with the torches around knocking at his door for less than that, better have a bucket of water ready by your letter box!

Carnage in the GC, rather than people in the ditches....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bad crash with mori and gesink, both abandoned

Sunweb have 5 in the break!

Can't see Demare getting though this today, already well out the back.

Pantano and mollema up the road for trek, as is demarchi and another bmc guy. Youd have to think bertie is going to try something from a long way out, possibly porte too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll read it how I want to read it in order to find maximum offence, even if none was intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

ThisRegard wrote: »

I'll read it how I want to read it in order to find maximum offence, even if none was intended.
    You understand the true purpose of the internet ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Are Quickstep represented in the break? Seem like one of the only teams not

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Are Quickstep represented in the break? Seem like one of the only teams not

Stybar was there for them think he was dropped with a few others, only Sky, DD and Wanty without riders in the break.

Betancur is virtual yellow on the road , not that it'll stay that way.

herrada abandons after a crash....roads are very dangerous..

Jesus Herrada from Movistar has crashed and abandoned.

Kelly's faux outrage about the riders ruining their kit because of crashes :pac:

Thomas has crashed

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Ag2r going full gas. Pretty kamikaze tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you get the feeling they were right when they said this stage was going to be the one that had most affect on the race

Advertisement