Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 stage 9: Nantua > Chambéry - 181,5 km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Aru and Fuglsang were 5th and 6th, and after doing so much work to bring froome back to bardet, they all lost 4 seconds to him as he finished 3rd.

Tactical geniuses

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Weepsie wrote: »
    I am inclined to believe had Froome got caught up and Dan etc carried on and won we'd be talking about a brilliant win and not bothering giving out about not waiting.

Nah, I do watch the three big ones the Giro, tdF and Vuelta, and I had an issue with this waiting before today and how it is applied and not applied.

I think if people want to wait let their team mates do it, it is not unfair if everyone just raced rather than pretending there is honour in waiting for someone, it is a boring unwritten rule that is akin to an insurance policy, it is like they think 'oh it might be me...'

Maybe Porte would have been somewhere else on the road and not have the bad luck to crash if he hadn't gone and slowed Aru and co down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

There is a different rule for the yellow jersey

Its a long standing cycling tradition....that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MPFGLB wrote: »

But it is BS, tradition or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

MPFGLB wrote: »

While I agree to an extent, imo froome used up that card when he used it to get his teammates back to the front group last year

19875186_1746814801998625_3062065813481051980_n.jpg?oh=3838912a1b77295e552e09eef714a94e&oe=5A08D67C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Demare misses the time cut along with two teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

spock. wrote: »
    Demare misses the time cut along with two teammates.

Trentin, Renshaw and the other Sagan also outside the timer. Respect for Demare and the FDJ team for their efforts, but you have to wonder if it was worth losing 2 additional riders to try to get Demare through it when he's clearly knackered. Interesting to see if the timer gets enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

What speed was Porte doing when he crashed? 70km/hr ? More?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

mhiggy09 wrote: »

Looks bad, you have to wonder should they be allowed to continue after a crash without changing helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Shoco83 wrote: »
    Looks bad, you have to wonder should they be allowed to continue after a crash without changing helmet

After big crashes you also have to wonder if any of the riders are concussed.

It's scary when you think about it.

Dan got back on the bike on a very dangerous descent and would have been back up to speeds of 70km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

G1032 wrote: »
    What speed was Porte doing when he crashed? 70km/hr ? More?

It would have been around that speed alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Shoco83 wrote: »

Did Dan get his bike changed after the crash?

I wonder should he be given the same time as Froome's group as he was accidentally brought down or does that just kill the race finish?

ITV reported that Dan came off a second time on the decent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Froome is either incredibly lucky or he's using up his 9 lives.
    He's crashed once this week, been caught up in another and went off road like Porte but he's still in the race.

Everyone else has hurt themselves who has crashed.

Then when they try a sneaky on him, they allow him back in and then after that pull him to the line to catch bardet instead of putting him under pressure and forcing the leader to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

He's crashed once this week, been caught up in another and went off road like Porte but he's still in the race.

Then when they try a sneaky on him, they allow him back in and then after that pull him to the line to catch bardet instead of putting him under pressure and forcing the leader to do the work.

But remember the Tour is only 1/3 of the way over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Absolutely sick for Dan. However, he has again shown what a thoroughly likeable and engaging rider he is. He caught the group ahead on the descent after a horror crash and gunned it all the way to the finish. He is an absolute hero and we are so lucky to have him - classics, grand tours, the lot. I was already rather fond of him but I am even more invested now. Lots can still happen and I really hope fortune smiles on him over the next fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's a major difference in a guy going down on the back of a fast descending group, and a rider attacking on a climb as soon as he sees his top rival put a hand up for a mechanical.

I read some reports of DM having a second crash, but I think they're talking about today's crash as his second of the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Trojan wrote: »
    There's a major difference in a guy going down on the back of a fast descending group, and a rider attacking on a climb as soon as he sees his top rival put a hand up for a mechanical.

I read some reports of DM having a second crash, but I think they're talking about today's crash as his second of the tour.

Nope, ITV & RR reported him as having a 2nd crash after he got up from the one when Port took him out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Dan said he'd crashed twice

Contador was down twice too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭happytramp

Weirdly with some GC guys losing huge amounts of time and others dropping out of the race Dan could still make the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

According to Twitter, Richie was doing 72.5kmh at the time...
    Check out @letourdata's Tweet: https://twitter.com/letourdata/status/884061557386350596?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Dan down twice on a fast stretch and I believe, a bike change and only lost 1.15, some of which would have been riding on his own. That is just incredible at the business end of a tough stage.

As he said himself when asked about his injuries "don't know, have to wait for adrenelin to wear off"

Hope the injuries are minor and with a rest day and some flat days, he can recover

Will be interesting to see what happens with Landa now GT is out, he's now the 2nd best placed sky rider in 9th, but dont think he's pulling for Sky at all. Today, he was at the front for froome for about 30 seconds before pulling over, but was then still able to sail in with the second group only a minute back. He seems like a man who rides for himself, would be interesting to see if he goes against the team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No front brake after the 1st crash may explain the 2nd

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/884093158446989314

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Froome did crash out of the Tour once and again in the Vuelta in 2015, but your right, he is incredibly fortunate that things go his way. A super strong team of potential GC winners helps too!

How the hell did Armstrong (NOT) win 7 Tour de France in a row! Just amazing good fortune all those years, apart from 2003, but even then his rivals conspired to lose that race when it was their best chance of victory.

retalivity wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what happens with Landa now GT is out, he's now the 2nd best placed sky rider in 9th, but dont think he's pulling for Sky at all. Today, he was at the front for froome for about 30 seconds before pulling over, but was then still able to sail in with the second group only a minute back. He seems like a man who rides for himself, would be interesting to see if he goes against the team.

It's been mentioned as far back as the Giro that he's looking at a possible move to Movistar. Be a good move I think, he'll likely get the ride he wants there.

Must have dropped back to Pace Quintana home ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

godtabh wrote: »
    No front brake after the 1st crash may explain the 2nd

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/884093158446989314

Not a great look for whoever is providing the neutral replacement bikes :eek:

Advertisement