Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 stage 9: Nantua > Chambéry - 181,5 km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,528 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am gutted... I wanted to see what Porte could do as a team leader in GT, and to a lesser extent could Thomas keep up his impressive start. Lot of doubts going into the Tour about whether they could sustain things for 3 weeks, and now we'll never find out :(

For Nico, like Contador crashing out of Le Tour in 2014 and Froome at the Vuelta in 2016 he now finds himself in the words of Rumpole... "alone, and without a leader"... I expect BMC to go chasing stage wins now but maybe his best chance at stage glory has already come and gone?

For Dan, an amazing recovery, but will that lost minute and the crash impact put paid to his chance at a podium???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

retalivity wrote: »
    Aru and Fuglsang were 5th and 6th, and after doing so much work to bring froome back to bardet, they all lost 4 seconds to him as he finished 3rd.

Tactical geniuses
    Well I'd guess that Froome may have put it to Ari/Fuglsgang that Bardet taking 20-30 secs on them plus 10 sec bonus was more significant to them overall than to Froome who would easily take that back in TT even short one.
    Its unlikely they would have taken time on Froome on descent or flat run in in any case.
    Ari only potential GC contender bar Froome in the group so for Barguil and Uran it was worth working for stage win, so they would have played against any move by Aru for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Just looked at TDF app for list of withdrawals for today. FDJ lost 4 incl Demare to time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any good highlights shows?

• Advertisement

TG4 at 9 I think not sure about ITV. Eurosport just finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i thought majka retired as well...he actually finished in the grupetto

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eight riders outside time limit today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Watching the highlights on Eurosport and that Ported crash looked nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Absolutely sick for Dan. However, he has again shown what a thoroughly likeable and engaging rider he is. He caught the group ahead on the descent after a horror crash and gunned it all the way to the finish. He is an absolute hero and we are so lucky to have him - classics, grand tours, the lot. I was already rather fond of him but I am even more invested now. Lots can still happen and I really hope fortune smiles on him over the next fortnight.

That's why my second born is named after him! Legend!

• Advertisement

I generally can't abide by the constant moaning about Carlton Kirby on here, but I have to say that I'm disgusted by him during this race. I know that he commentates for British Eurosport but how much of a racist, nationalist and any other suitable -ist can he be? Disgusting comment when Valverde crashed re Quintana and such unashamed ar$e licking of Froome for no reason when Porte crashed about how Froome would straight away dedicate the win to Porte. Sh!t like that really grinds my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Majka crashed and Thomas had no where to go

https://twitter.com/GeraintThomas86/status/884097065382543360

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Surely Froome should be sanctioned for his shoulder barge on Aru?

Whatever your feelings about Aru attacking (and subsequently waiting) Froomes actions placed Aru in significant danger and could easily have caused a crash into spectators.

If Sagan can be dq'd for a racing incident then Froome must be at the very least put back based on a incident based on nothing more than anger and trying to danger an opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Leroy42 wrote: »

Whatever your feelings about Aru attacking (and subsequently waiting) Froomes actions placed Aru in significant danger and could easily have caused a crash into spectators.

If Sagan can be dq'd for a racing incident then Froome must be at the very least put back based on a incident based on nothing more than anger and trying to danger an opponent

If something had actually happened, you might have a better case.
    Froome says the incident was accidental, Aru seems to agree.
    Nothing to see here, move on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I generally can't abide by the constant moaning about Carlton Kirby on here, but I have to say that I'm disgusted by him during this race. I know that he commentates for British Eurosport but how much of a racist, nationalist and any other suitable -ist can he be? Disgusting comment when Valverde crashed re Quintana and such unashamed ar$e licking of Froome for no reason when Porte crashed about how Froome would straight away dedicate the win to Porte. Sh!t like that really grinds my gears.

Froome pretty much did dedicate his 3rd place to him.

Don't listen. Extreme to be claiming he's racist .
    As I said earlier, the moaning about Carlton is as tedious as Carlton. TG4 have neutral commentators, or there's a mute button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Ah here, don't be such a drama queen. While Sagan shouldn't have been DQ'd, Froome's shoulder on Aru, going up hill at 15kph was trivial. "crash into spectators"... you make it sound as if lives were endangered....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So now we only look at the potential injuries?

Was Sagan asked what happened? No, so why care what Froome says? What do you expect him to say?

The video is very clear. Its the intent to endanger another rider that is the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Diarmuid wrote: »

Ah here, don't be such a drama queen. While Sagan shouldn't have been DQ'd, Froome's shoulder on Aru, going up hill at 15kph was trivial. "crash into spectators"... you make it sound as if lives were endangered....
    So your saying you don't have a problem with what froome did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Majka crashed and Thomas had no where to go

https://twitter.com/GeraintThomas86/status/884097065382543360

Private jet or Air ambulance?

Weepsie wrote: »

Froome pretty much did dedicate his 3rd place to him.

Don't listen. Extreme to be claiming he's racist .
    As I said earlier, the moaning about Carlton is as tedious as Carlton. TG4 have neutral commentators, or there's a mute button.

Why respond to it repeatedly if you find it so tedious or is your own mute button broken?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 brianhalpin

More on LeMond's view on Aru attacking Froome.

No reason for Aru and others to wait for Froome, says LeMond

Like others on here, I have to totally agree with LeMond. This unwritten rule is total BS, ruins racing and frankly overused by Froome – wait for me lads I have no teammates, slow down my power meter isn't working!

For me it boils down to which would I rather? To beat a guy because I'm better than him or to win because he had a puncture ? I know which victory would taste sweeter. Win because you're the best not win at all costs.

In the case of Froome I would hate for it to be a crash or mechanical that sees him lose the tour as he has excuses then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Convinced some of the people posting in this thread have never seen a bike race prior to today.

To suggest that leaders should have waited for Dan is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Yeah and on a descent where other riders are flying down at 70kph+ behind you :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why respond to it repeatedly if you find it so tedious or is your own mute button broken?!?!

Unfortunately I cant mute "Carlton whinge" posts.

Repeatedly = often/frequently. I've done so twice, whereas there's constant whinging about it. Needs a dedicated thread to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Weepsie wrote: »
    Unfortunately I cant mute "Carlton whinge" posts.

Repeatedly = often/frequently. I've done so twice, whereas there's constant whinging about it. Needs a dedicated thread to be honest....

So you guys can whine but no others it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I normally like Carlton, but he was over the top about that today. I think he had a couple too many coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Djoucer wrote: »
    Convinced some of the people posting in this thread have never seen a bike race prior to today.

To suggest that leaders should have waited for Dan is laughable.
    Don't think they should've waited, but it does highlight the hypocrisy of "can't attack because he picked crap equipment", but sod the guy taken out through no fault of his own.

Would they have waited on Uran if he felt he needed a bike change for pretty much the same reason Froome did? No, we'd get "the race is on" line, but it was also "on" on the final HC of the day when they waited on Froome.

Should just drop the "rule". Riders/ Teams make choices on equipment just as much as they do on racing line. Even punctures - there's compromises on tyres versus puncture resistance that they make choices on. Just knock the whole "don't attack for a mechanical" bs on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

Absolutely sick for Dan. However, he has again shown what a thoroughly likeable and engaging rider he is. He caught the group ahead on the descent after a horror crash and gunned it all the way to the finish. He is an absolute hero and we are so lucky to have him - classics, grand tours, the lot. I was already rather fond of him but I am even more invested now. Lots can still happen and I really hope fortune smiles on him over the next fortnight.

I find this "we are so lucky to have him" very odd. He's as irish as peaky blinders. He cycles for Ireland under a flag of convenience. Started out with British cycling, but their aims didn't coincide so he switched. If brailsford hadnt been obsessed with the track, seeing it correctly as a relatively easy path to personal glory, dan Martin would still be with British cycling/sky/ whoever.
    I really really like the guy. Him and Quintana are my absolute favourites, but the fact he is riding for Ireland clouds judgement (not yours).
    The longstanding tradition has been that the yellow jersey (nothing to do with who is wearing it) , is not attacked if they have a mechanical problem. Now last year was, in my opinion, wrong, but yesterday, one rider clearly saw Froome had a broken bike, and attacked solely for that reason. That was against what is a noble tradition if correctly applied (which it was).
    Had Froome crashed on the descent, when all the favourites were flat out chasing another favourite, no one would have blinked, yellow jersey or not.
    For one, the crash was at the back of that group, and they'd have been half a mile down the road before it clicked, and secondly, there was no way of knowing how serious the injuries were.
    They are all tough tough men, Froome included.
    I think people's dislike of British cycling spills over a bit here tbh.
    I quite like Froome. Didn't and don't at all like wiggins, who is a surly character on and off the bike, steroids aside. I'd better not say what I think about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »

So your saying you don't have a problem with what froome did?

Froome lost a pedal I think.

Advertisement