Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeview HD + Freesat

• 08-07-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭

I ordered a 4K TV which says it has Freeview HD + Freesat.

I read old reviews that Free channels through internet no longer work in Ireland.

What's the current situation? Is it possible to stream channels through Freeview HD + Freesat?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should give you all the Saorview channels if you connect an aeriel to it. If you connect a satellite dish to it you will receive the Freesat channels, have a look at Freesat.co.uk.

The online catchup services like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player etc may not work as they will be region locked to UK IP addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You mention 'streaming' channels through Freeview HD and Freesat.

You wouldn't stream channels, you receive them via an aerial and satellite dish respectively.
    You will only be able to receive Freeview channels if you are close to the border or on the Dublin coast, as the transmitters are all UK based.

If you add a dish, you'll get all the free to air Freesat channels ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks to both of ye.

Pardon my ignorance but is the Aerial needs to be placed outside the apartment?
    I am renting an apartment so not sure if landlord will allow me to put aerial or dish outside.
    And does any of these come with the TV? (I am supposed to receive my TV on Thursday)

M

Thanks to both of ye.

Pardon my ignorance but is the Aerial needs to be placed outside the apartment?
    I am renting an apartment so not sure if landlord will allow me to put aerial or dish outside.
    And does any of these come with the TV? (I am supposed to receive my TV on Thursday)

Ideally external is best but you might also get away with a cheap internal aerial, you can pick these up for about €15/€20 in the likes of Argos and electrical retailers. I would doubt it will come with any.

Ok cool. I will update you next week.
    Ideally external is best but you might also get away with a cheap internal aerial, you can pick these up for about €15/€20 in the likes of Argos and electrical retailers. I would doubt it will come with any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

It should give you all the Saorview channels if you connect an aeriel to it. If you connect a satellite dish to it you will receive the Freesat channels, have a look at Freesat.co.uk.

The online catchup services like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player etc may not work as they will be region locked to UK IP addresses.
    Catch-up etc ,won't work geo blocked,unless some sort of a VPN is purchased

So I got the TV and its without aerial.

I have TV and Sat 1 & 2 socket available on my apartment wall. Do you think apartments have aerial/dish on top of the building? If i just buy the wire and plug it on the wall socket?
    I have taken picture of the socket.
    28bgx0y.jpg

Anyone can help please?

M

Could be a dish on the roof, it's possible only certain apartments who pay for the service are connected, only real way to find out is to connect a cable and see if it finds any channels.

Which cable shall i buy? Sat or TV one?

SLx Satellite Extension Lead - 2m.
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3589607/Trail/searchtext>Tv+cable.htm

Is it expensive to pay for the service? The rent of this apartment is certainly higher but it's a new building. So maybe they have these latest services but not activated.
    Could be a dish on the roof, it's possible only certain apartments who pay for the service are connected, only real way to find out is to connect a cable and see if it finds any channels.

M

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3589607/Trail/searchtext>Tv+cable.htm

Is it expensive to pay for the service? The rent of this apartment is certainly higher but it's a new building. So maybe they have these latest services but not activated.

Yes that's the cable you need for the satellite. Other option is to buy a length of cable and put the F connectors at either end yourself, like this...

This is the type of cable you need for the tv aerial channels.
    http://www.woodies.ie/ross-tv-coaxial-cable-3m-1123895

• Advertisement

Thanks Atlantic Dawn.

I will buy either Sat cable or TV cable first to check if the sockets on the wall are really working. Which one do you suggest to buy first? Don't really want to throw money away.

If these wall sockets are not working then i will get the indoor aerial from Argos. Do they come with the wire?
    Like this one
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1074815/Trail/searchtext>Aerial+indoor.htm
    Yes that's the cable you need for the satellite. Other option is to buy a length of cable and put the F connectors at either end yourself, like this...

This is the type of cable you need for the tv aerial channels.
    http://www.woodies.ie/ross-tv-coaxial-cable-3m-1123895

M

I'd buy the satellite cable first as it will give the most channels if it works.

Yes the indoor aerials will all come with cable.

Will get satellite cable tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As the TV has a built in satellite tuner,all channels received on it will be FTA (free), the only pay service on satellite is Sky.

But i am not sure if the satellite output mounted on the wall is working. I will get sat cable and see if it works.
    Otherwise i need to get indoor aerial. In that case sat cable will be wasted as i think Argos won't take it back if its opened
    zerks wrote: »
    As the TV has a built in satellite tuner,all channels received on it will be FTA (free), the only pay service on satellite is Sky.

So i bought the Sat Cable and plugged in.

It's showing different satellites with different strengths. Is there a way to select best possible satellite? It's loading up channels at the moment. Please see the pic.

fu1b28.jpg

Edit Note : it's showing mostly Polish and other foreign language channels only. How do i select English only?

M

Try connecting to Sat 2 to see what channels that will give. Depending on what satellite the dishes are pointed at will determine what channels you will get.

I have connected to Eutelsat Hotbird 13e.

Can get few English channels.

I can't find FreeView sat.

Trying to find YouTube tutorial video but can't seem to understand the idea of sat channels and how to filter English channels.

Anyone can help me?
    Try connecting to Sat 2 to see what channels that will give. Depending on what satellite the dishes are pointed at will determine what channels you will get.

M

Your problem is that you can only receive the channels that the dish is pointed to, if you want the Freesat channels the dish needs to be pointed to 28.2E, no amount of changes on your TV will get the channels if the dish is not pointed at this.

Here's the channels for 28.2E...
    http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Here's the 10E listing, the likes of CNN is in English but not much more...
    http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-13E.php

Ok thats clear now.

I dont own the dish so dont know where it is located and how to set it in a particular direction. I just got the sat cable today and inserted in the Sat point.

Shall i get indoor aerial now from Argos? Will i get good few English channels?
    Your problem is that you can only receive the channels that the dish is pointed to, if you want the Freesat channels the dish needs to be pointed to 28.2E, no amount of changes on your TV will get the channels if the dish is not pointed at this.

Here's the channels for 28.2E...
    http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Here's the 10E listing, the likes of CNN is in English but not much more...
    http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-13E.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

But i am not sure if the satellite output mounted on the wall is working. I will get sat cable and see if it works.
    Otherwise i need to get indoor aerial. In that case sat cable will be wasted as i think Argos won't take it back if its opened

Try a cheap indoor aerial from dealz if you don't have a cable to join to the aerial socket in the wall.At only €1.50 it won't break the bank.I think they even sell cables.

The 2 sockets could be for different satellites, one for Hotbird (European) and the other for Astra (UK TV )

Ok. I checked Dealz this morning they didn't have this Sat Cable. So i got one from Argos.

I will check if Dealz got indoor Aerial.
    zerks wrote: »
    Try a cheap indoor aerial from dealz if you don't have a cable to join to the aerial socket in the wall.At only €1.50 it won't break the bank.I think they even sell cables.

The 2 sockets could be for different satellites, one for Hotbird (European) and the other for Astra (UK TV )

Advertisement