Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy rights of adult children

Options
  • 09-07-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Asking this for a friend who is currently having problems at home.

Friend (37f) has lived at home for the last 5 years (thunk March 2012). She used to live in the grandmother's house, but she died, and the house needed to be sold. She was unemployed at the time, and due to living in the grandmother's house, she got quite ill. Her parents asked her to move in with them so that they could help take care of her (from memory, she was 10 days in hospital, and 3 months convalescing.

At some point her parents moved out for about 2 years, and moved to France for his work. She stayed on in the house, in part because she had no job or money. Parents came back about 18 months ago, and things have got progressively worse. She rang tonight (in tears from the sounds of it) to say her father was demanding she leave the house tomorrow, and never come back. Alternatively, she must pay €2k p/m to rent the room, and pick up half the household bills.

I looked on the CIC website, but there seems to be nothing covering this situation. However, I remember reading that adults children living in their parents house are the same as tenants, even if not paying rent.

Could anybody give me some direction, so that I can give her some pointers on where to look/contact?

Sorry for the typos,currently on speaker and typing on phone at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Zero rights, and she is 37 remember. She should be able to cope and deal with life's challenges. Sounds like parents and grandparents have been very good to her to date.

I suggest you put her up if you can, or go into the council and declare her homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

myshirt wrote: »
    Zero rights, and she is 37 remember. She should be able to cope and deal with life's challenges. Sounds like parents and grandparents have been very good to her to date.

I suggest you put her up if you can, or go into the council and declare her homeless.

I realise she's 37. She's also unemployed and had been finding it difficult to get a job. Without a job, she can't get somewhere to rent, but she'll be unable to keep a job if she can't live somewhere. Nasty catch 22.

I should have also mentioned that the reason she lived in the grandparents house was that the grandmother was in a nursing home, and grandfather was dead.

I can't put her up as I'm currently moving between houseshares.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

She'll fall to the emergency accommodation system. Calling phone numbers all day to get a room from late evening until early morning. That's it.

ED E wrote: »
    She'll fall to the emergency accommodation system. Calling phone numbers all day to get a room from late evening until early morning. That's it.

While she won't be happy to hear that, if that is the case, that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Has she ever had a job?

Reading between the lines here, it sounds like family ran out of patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I doubt she has any tenancy rights I've never heard of this in Ireland, even if she was a licensee she could be evicted with little notice.

If the situation can't be resolved she should seek alternative accommodation from friends/family or present herself to the council as homeless to avail of emergency accommodation. Its worth noting that as a single person she could be on a list for 15 years to get council housing and will most likely have to rent privately.

endacl wrote: »
    Has she ever had a job?

Reading between the lines here, it sounds like family ran out of patience.

She worked in construction during the boom years, then in finance before and after the illness. She's been out of work for about 6 months, I think, looking but unable to find anything that suited her.

Scraggs wrote: »
    I doubt she has any tenancy rights I've never heard of this in Ireland, even if she was a licensee she could be evicted with little notice.

If the situation can't be resolved she should seek alternative accommodation from friends/family or present herself to the council as homeless to avail of emergency accommodation. Its worth noting that as a single person she could be on a list for 15 years to get council housing and will most likely have to rent privately.

When everybody is saying the same thing without argument on the internet, it must be true. Looks like she'll be out of the house, but there didn't seem to be much she can do.

15 years in the waiting list? I guess that is a bit long, in the hopes that something comes through.

Thanks for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Clauric wrote: »
    I realise she's 37. She's also unemployed and had been finding it difficult to get a job. Without a job, she can't get somewhere to rent, but she'll be unable to keep a job if she can't live somewhere. Nasty catch 22.

I should have also mentioned that the reason she lived in the grandparents house was that the grandmother was in a nursing home, and grandfather was dead.

I can't put her up as I'm currently moving between houseshares.

How is any of this relevant at all? What a strange, verbose and babyish way of thinking... how old are you yourself out of interest? Maybe I'm just presuming you are 25+ and you're not.

Anyway, if you can't put her up then ensure that she declares herself homeless so she gets in the system. Support her as a friend, and please please drive home to her to leave the parents alone until such point she can sort them out for all this rent free living to 37.

myshirt wrote: »
    How is any of this relevant at all? What a strange, verbose and babyish way of thinking... how old are you yourself out of interest? Maybe I'm just presuming you are 25+ and you're not.

Anyway, if you can't put her up then ensure that she declares herself homeless so she gets in the system. Support her as a friend, and please please drive home to her to leave the parents alone until such point she can sort them out for all this rent free living to 37.

I'm older than she is (unfortunately). I've been passing on the information provided by you guys, which is very useful, and replying with what she is saying.

I think the advice here has been very good, and considering the time of day, very timely. Think it best to tell her to go to bed, and review things in the morning, when people have calmed down.

Think she may need to come to some agreement with parents on the bills, which might alleviate some of the issues. Will talk to her tomorrow, and hopefully make her realise her precarious situation.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Clauric wrote: »
    Looks like she'll be out of the house, but there didn't seem to be much she can do.

She could try to make up with her parents and ask for a few months to get a job and save for a deposit before they make her leave. Even if it means handing over every cent of her JSA as rent until she gets a job and all of her wages apart from that which she needs to save once she gets a job. Unless they are toxic (and I doubt they are, tbh) making up with them and finding a compromise that allows her to take what is essentially a last chance to live in a comfortable home while she gets on her feet would be better than applying for emergency accommodation and struggling each day to find a bed for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Post: Thread closed. You have a duplicate thread already open in another section on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement