Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tenancy rights of adult children

• 09-07-2017 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

X-post from Accommodation & Property

Asking this for a friend who is currently having problems at home.

Friend (37f) has lived at home for the last 5 years (thunk March 2012). She used to live in the grandmother's house, but she died, and the house needed to be sold. She was unemployed at the time, and due to living in the grandmother's house, she got quite ill. Her parents asked her to move in with them so that they could help take care of her (from memory, she was 10 days in hospital, and 3 months convalescing.

At some point her parents moved out for about 2 years, and moved to France for his work. She stayed on in the house, in part because she had no job or money. Parents came back about 18 months ago, and things have got progressively worse. She rang tonight (in tears from the sounds of it) to say her father was demanding she leave the house tomorrow, and never come back. Alternatively, she must pay €2k p/m to rent the room, and pick up half the household bills.

I looked on the CIC website, but there seems to be nothing covering this situation. However, I remember reading that adults children living in their parents house are the same as tenants, even if not paying rent.

Could anybody give me some direction, so that I can give her some pointers on where to look/contact?

Sorry for the typos,currently on speaker and typing on phone at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

wow, 2k a month, you could rent an entire house in Dublin for that....

Is the house in some really salubrious location that dad thinks he'd get 2k for renting a room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    wow, 2k a month, you could rent an entire house in Dublin for that....

I doubt they mean it, unless this is a deadly house. It's sounds more like a please f'off price to get her out the door, or there is some arrears built in for all the rent free living.

Op, zero rights as I said. Zero. Zilch. Naught.

Someone might come on here and talk about X, y, and z under the succession act or promissory estoppel etc; but putting aside the pub talk, the kerbside lawyering, and the 'I googled it, now I'm an expert' brigade, there is zero rights here. Zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even if she paid rent for a room, she'd be a licensee and not a tenant. Family home protection wouldnt apply to her.

Sounds like she's received a very long free ride and now is facing up to a harsh but predictable reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

While she won't be happy to hear that, if that is the case, that is the case.

Would it be any different if she were somebody invited to live in the house for an indeterminate period of time, and just never moved out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

ClauriModc wrote: »
    While she won't be happy to hear that, if that is the case, that is the case.

Would it be any different if she were somebody invited to live in the house for an indeterminate period of time, and just never moved out?

Is she still unemployed?
    Maybe it would serve her better to Mod deletion get a job so she can rent and live on her own like most adults.

Mod
    Pls keep it civil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Greendaisy

Is she claiming jobseekers? Has she not contributed anything at all? If not, IMO it's understandable why her father has asked her to leave.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Is she still unemployed?
    Maybe it would serve her better to get up off her lazy posterior & get a job so she can rent and live on her own like most adults.

Still unemployed, but looking. She had/has an offer for €24k, but would like more, naturally.

Think I'm going to have to chat with her tomorrow, when things have calmed down, and make her realise her precarious situation.

Hopefully she'll see the light of day, and come to some agreement with her parents.

Greendaisy wrote: »
    Is she claiming jobseekers? Has she not contributed anything at all? If not, IMO it's understandable why her father has asked her to leave.

Think she's on DB due to the reoccurrance of the illness. Not sure what she's on, but from what I can gather, it is less than her outgoings for treatment (no health insurance, and still waiting on Medical Card, long term illness card), and loan repayments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Clauric wrote: »
    Still unemployed, but looking. She had/has an offer for €24k, but would like more, naturally.

Think I'm going to have to chat with her tomorrow, when things have calmed down, and make her realise her precarious situation.

Hopefully she'll see the light of day, and come to some agreement with her parents.

More naturally? Get a grib. Start of some ware and move on up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Time to grow up, move out and stand on her own two feet.

Or, move out and sponge off the state.

Either or.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is LD not AH, sure to get the lock,Mod deletion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Think she's on DB due to the reoccurrance of the illness. Not sure what she's on, but from what I can gather, it is less than her outgoings for treatment (no health insurance, and still waiting on Medical Card, long term illness card), and loan repayments.
    I don't think anyone here, or indeed yourself, knows enough of the goings on or facts in this situation to make a well informed judgement on the situation.
    From the facts supplied it doesn't look like she's in a good place - through her own action/inaction and she will no doubt get the responses that that situation generally justifies.
    Now instead of taking some responsibility for her situation she is trying to get some tenancy rights and screw her parents at 37!
    Even if she had some tenancy rights - would you like living in that type of an environment?

There may well be plenty more going on here - but that's how it looks on the face of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Everyone would like more, but with no experience, she won't get more.

Advise your mate to ring the company back, and take the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Then she's no unemployed, she's lazy and entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

o1s1n wrote: »

Then she's no unemployed, she's lazy and entitled.
    What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

At 37 she has had about 19years to take control of her life and stand on her own. I can understand her parents POV here... They are likely at a stage in life where they want some spave.

Over 18 and having never paid rent, legally I assume she has zero chances. Also, threatening your parents that have supported you well beyond what is consider normal with legal action isn't a great way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

764dak wrote: »
    What?

She has a offer of paid employment of €24k so she is not actively seeking work Mod deletion

The legal advice given here has been very useful, and has been passed on. I think that she will take the advice given here for its face value, and will probably try to reconcile her living arrangements with her parents wishes.

What I do find strange is that everybody here is assuming that she has been unemployed for the last 19 years, is lazy, and is a sponger.

She has worked for more than 16 years, put herself through college and 2 masters on a part-time basis, owned (and lost) her own house. She worked in the construction industry in a professional role, then switched to the pharma industry, working a similar role.

She has only been unemployed for the last 6 months due to the illness. Her last job offer was €24k, which is about 1/3 of what she was on before the illness.

The legal advice given here has been very useful, and has been passed on. I think that she will take the advice given here for its face value, and will probably try to reconcile her living arrangements with her parents wishes.

What I do find strange is that everybody here is assuming that she has been unemployed for the last 19 years, is lazy, and is a sponger.

She has worked for more than 16 years, put herself through college and 2 masters on a part-time basis, owned (and lost) her own house. She worked in the construction industry in a professional role, then switched to the pharma industry, working a similar role.

She has only been unemployed for the last 6 months due to the illness. Her last job offer was €24k, which is about 1/3 of what she was on before the illness.

Your OP said "Friend (37f) has lived at home for the last 5 years (thunk March 2012). She used to live in the grandmother's house, but she died, and the house needed to be sold."

At no point did you say she was working previously, now you say she worked 16 years plus got a degree and 2 masters. So by age 32 she had worked for 16 years plus got a degree and two masters the maths does not add up when you look at the OP. Even looking at Woking 16 years by 37 assuming college to 21 plus 16 years is 37 or put it another way from age 18 she has only been unemployed for 3 years and can not afford to pay rent for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Why has she no savings?

• Advertisement

Why has she no savings?

Yup she was living rent free with her parents before that with her grandmother and used to earn 72K a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

If she is unemployed for another 6 months, she will be lucky to get a job stacking shelves in a supermarket. If you are unemployed for 12 months or more, you are deskilled and no employer will hire you easily. With unemployment at 6% and labour shortages in a lot of industries. If she is struggling to find a job, she maybe already considered deskilled. She can wait for a higher paying job, but she might be waiting a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

If she is unemployed for another 6 months, she will be lucky to get a job stacking shelves in a supermarket. If you are unemployed for 12 months or more, you are deskilled and no employer will hire you easily. With unemployment at 6% and labour shortages in a lot of industries. If she is struggling to find a job, she maybe already considered deskilled. She can wait for a higher paying job, but she might be waiting a long time

That may be the way it is viewed but it is a ridiculous view to take, that someone after a period of unemployment ceases to be who they were, forgets everything they have learbed and is then unemployable. It sounds more like an option to filter CVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Who gave legal advice here? What are the legal issues even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Our assumptions are based on the known facts as you've presented them.
    As I said there's a lot going on here but the more facts that get presented the worse this persons behaviour are starting to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Re-opened, subject to forum rule on legal advice.
    Also let us all be nice to each other, OK?

Advertisement