Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Non book readers"

• 09-07-2017 5:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode shown on TV! No information from any other source are allowed to be posted with the one exception that SPOILER tagged lore from the DVD releases and interviews will be allowed in the thread. Such information has to directly relate to the episode however and be clearly marked as for example "DVD lore from Season X relating to matter Y"
    Lore and conclusions go here

This means book readers are allowed to post but they can not reference ANYTHING from the books inc. items relating to earlier seasons.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Shall we begin?

What was the point of having that singer lad shoe horned in? I kinda takes me out seeing someone I recognise. I hope the rumours of McGregor being in it are false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

With only seven episodes this season I was disappointed with this as it was basically just a recap. I think I'm going to enjoy Euron though.

Did we know who Clegane buried? He said "not really" when asked if he knew them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I presumed it was the father and daughter he stole from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Earlier he went into their house and took some food and said they wouldn't be alive come winter anyway or similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXG3OBxVY0

Go to 106.00 on here to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Sam had the worst 80's training montage I have ever seen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

What was the point of having that singer lad shoe horned in? I kinda takes me out seeing someone I recognise. I hope the rumours of McGregor being in it are false.

They've had a couple of celebrity cameos in it before iirc, one of the lads from Coldplay was in the red wedding scene. Ed sheeran cameo was very in your face however, I didn't mind it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Tormund has still got that look in his eye!

tumblr_ot7qad9qNC1rszoo3o2_r1_540.gif

tumblr_ot7qad9qNC1rszoo3o5_r1_540.gif

tumblr_ot7qad9qNC1rszoo3o1_r1_540.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

So wonder which episode the wall will fall in? Grand Maester kept saying it never fell, plus Bran has mark of the knights king and went through so that will make some sort of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    So wonder which episode the wall will fall in? Grand Maester kept saying it never fell, plus Bran has mark of the knights king and went through so that will make some sort of difference.

Final episode of the season is my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

klose wrote: »
    They've had a couple of celebrity cameos in it before iirc, one of the lads from Coldplay was in the red wedding scene. Ed sheeran cameo was very in your face however, I didn't mind it anyways.

Sigur Ros sing the Rains of Castlemere at the purple wedding.

Gary Lightbody (of snore patrol) sings the Bear and the Maiden fair with the rest of the Bolton crew when they captured Jamie and Brienne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah but they weren't front and centre on screen like Ed was. Feel like it jumped shark delving into celebrity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Think everyone's forgetting the biggest popstar appearance, half of Robson and Jerome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ed Sheeran was a surprise, but what about the start, Arya is a faceless warrior.
    Cersei being paranoid about their enemies and rightly so.
    Sansa being more and more like Cersei with the coldness towards anyone perceived to have done them wrong.
    Sam sending a message to Jon Snow about dragonstone which no doubt will be massive.
    One could go on but it was a great episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Only the second ep to have an intro before main credits?? For the sane reason as the last line I remember I'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Only the second ep to have an intro before main credits?? For the sane reason as the last line I remember I'd imagine?

Think most first episodes of a season has had a little Prologue scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

duploelabs wrote: »
    Sigur Ros sing the Rains of Castlemere at the purple wedding.

Gary Lightbody (of snore patrol) sings the Bear and the Maiden fair with the rest of the Bolton crew when they captured Jamie and Brienne

Of monsters and men also had a cameo - think it was in the theatre arya was involved in.

Mr.S wrote: »
    No difference to Sigur Ros playing at Joffreys Wedding tbh, they just do it for publicity.

--

Liked the opening episode overall, nothing hugely dramatic but sets the season up nicely I thought.

Do we know why Jorah is locked up, or presume it's just for the greyscale.

Not really the same. I'm a big Sigur Ros fan but didn't recognise them. I can't say the same for the biggest singer/song-writer in the world. Personally I think it added nothing and slightly took away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mr.S wrote: »
    No difference to Sigur Ros playing at Joffreys Wedding tbh, they just do it for publicity.

--

Liked the opening episode overall, nothing hugely dramatic but sets the season up nicely I thought.

Do we know why Jorah is locked up, or presume it's just for the greyscale.

Maybe he's hoping they can cure him and turn himself in to be experimented on with possible cures?

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Maybe he's hoping they can cure him and turn himself in to be experimented on with possible cures?

Yeah I reckon oldtown is where anyone would go looking for a cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

golfball37 wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon oldtown is where anyone would go looking for a cure

The maesters of dragonstone cured Shireen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

still feel a bit sick when i think about the the scenes in the Citadel when sam is doing all the work and when he is in the room where the autopsey is taking place

overall good episode and everything is slowly starting too gel together ???
    was dragonstone empty or are they still villagers there ??

duploelabs wrote: »
    The maesters of dragonstone cured Shireen

It'll probably turn out to be dragon glass mineral that cures it, meaning all roads lead to Dragonstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thought Stannis said he brought in maesters and healers from all over the world to heal her? So if Jorah can be healed, being in Oldtown is his best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That Ed Sheeran cameo was a truly awful decision. It was really pushed into your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arghus wrote: »
    That Ed Sheeran cameo was a truly awful decision. It was really pushed into your face.

May be the exact moment the show jumped the shark for many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes it wasn't the first cameo but it was so forced and really took way from the episode I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

ricero wrote: »
    May be the exact moment the show jumped the shark for many

Hopefully not. But I'd worry after something like that. They've had cameos before, as we all know, but to actually give him a speaking part and to have him sing... Jesus Christ. Completely took me out of that scene. What was the point other than to make you say, oh look, Ed Sheeran - and that's worrying.

Aside from that I thought it was a good, if unspectacular, start. Showing you where all the pieces are positioned on the board. Highlight was the ****/stew montage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Did the Hound not see the white walkers going around the wall when he was looking in the fire? At some castle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Arghus wrote: »
    They've had cameos before, as we all know, but to actually give him a speaking part and to have him sing... Jesus Christ. Completely took me out of that scene.

Agreed. If they had stayed in the background while Arya rode on, it would have been fine but, the speaking part is taking it a little too far.

Now If we see him die horribly, I'll be happy but that's doubtful given his level of "popularity". The publicity might be a little negative because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There's rumours of a McGregor cameo. I'm praying that's false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I presumed it was the father and daughter he stole from.

That would make sense. I originally thought it was the tavern from the "chicken" scene as the room looked the same.
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    Think the first one was for the Hounds return as by not having an intro would ruin the surprise when Rory McCann's name showed up on the credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BillyKilkenny

What do we have to do to get away from Ed Sheeran.

J. Marston wrote: »
    There's rumours of a McGregor cameo. I'm praying that's false.

please no. one bad ginger does not need another worse one.

or yes - only if he was to be quickly disemboweled by Arya in a gruesome manner or burnt to a crisp by a dragon.
    "Ah jaysus, don't be burnin' the hole off mi"

other than the ultra-forced cameo it was a good solid opener. thought the iron king character was pretty decent - what has he got planned to give to Cersei I wonder. He's gagging for a bit of cougar/milf action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Hound's connection to the farmer and his daughter:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm kinda hoping episode 1 is trying to throw the audience off.

Otherwise this feels like the writers might be going for a by-the-numbers type of wrap up.

Cons:
    The dialogue felt dull, the characters were all more polished up, the hounds rubberry plastic face looked rubbery and plastic. Lots of coincidental wins for the goodies.

Pros:
    The overall plot arc can't be damaged by this single episode or it's dialogue. The camera work was brilliant. The visuals and scenery were done really well. The moments of silence where the cast acted their feelings were grand. The dragons were done well.

I don't know how it feels compared to the books but I imagine it feels off.

Could all be to throw the audience off. Will see.

I agree with the post above. I turned it off after ten minutes. That sickeningly obvious intro upset me and I only lasted a few more minutes. It's lost its edge if you ask me now that they don't have any novels to work off. I fully expect it to be all crowd pleasing ****e for the masses that are too thick to know the difference.

I fully expect it to be all crowd pleasing ****e for the masses that are too thick to know the difference.

Bad ass alert

Present company excepted of course! :)

• Advertisement

Ohhh you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Daz24

Yeah they should of kept the cameo, in the background like the others it was really bad but my only thinking is, perhaps the context of the scene is to show Arya is heading for Kingslanding and not for Winterfell and that the soldiers even though are enemies they are just ordinary folk.
    So if the scene was already their for them reasons they prob saw it easy to just lash Ed in there and have him sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Don't think Ive ever seen a more forced, in you face, cringe-worthy cameo tbh.

Ed Sheeran is like a bad cold you just can't shake off, very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

What if Ed Sheeran is actually Azor Ahai!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ohhh you :P
    So edgy and cool. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I liked it. We either saw or heard about pretty much anyone. My only criticism is that I could see SFA in the scene in the cottage with the Hound. It wouldn't kill them to turn on a few lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yes it wasn't the first cameo but it was so forced and really took way from the episode I thought.

We could have done without him been introduced singing maybe later when there all tipsy or next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Really disappointed with the Ed Sheeran scene. Completely in your face and no need for it. Expect better from them.

In saying that, I thought it was a very good episode. The reveal of
    Wun Wun and the other giants as part of the White Walker army, left me with mixed feelings. Kind of inevitable I thought, but loved when Wun Wun was helping out Sean Sneachta and Thormund in the previous series

Did anyone else notice the pacing of the show was much quicker than previous seasons? I suppose it's due to the fact that it's a shortened series, but I found it very noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I dunno was that actually the same giant though as the last season.How could its body get from Winterfell to behind the wall unless of course the opening scene was the closing scene to the end of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Sansa's scenes were my favourite of this episode. Some very good lines like "No need to have the last word, I'm sure it was clever" and "I know exactly what he wants". I'm glad she has finally become a much stronger person because it makes for a more interesting character.

• Advertisement
Advertisement