Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Book readers"

• 09-07-2017 6:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The night is dark and full of terrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I rate this episode 10/10
    I know it doesn't start for another 25 minutes. But still, 10/10.

Winter has Come

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Off to a great start already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Oh nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I see Lyanna Mormont hasn't lost her charm in the off-season.

Euron needs the eye patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Euron needs the eye patch

He's away to gouge it out for Cersei's present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Interesting cameo there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Why have him in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

eviltwin wrote: »
    Interesting cameo there.

He's everywhere

Quite good so far, my stream only stopped twice for a few seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ed sheeran yuck !

Get him Arya get him please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

8/10 for that episode

Can't wait for next week

Alys Karstark a pivotal book character weirdly used, Nice Cameo towards the end, made me jump as much as Sam did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Bit too much set-up for my tastes when we're not getting full seasons but a solid episode nonetheless, lots of nice little bits of character development. 7.5-8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

So glad to have it back. I forgot how much I missed these characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Those guys Arya met seem really nice. RIP

Arya is all business, the whole faceless man thing in the books is to remain anonymous she hasn't grasped that part all too well as of yet, when I heard the song I thought ah great Tom O'Seven, Jebus the Twins feast was epic, can't see it being that easy in the book, rather she will seduce him I think, so glad it's back my gods the wait has been tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Arya is all business, the whole faceless man thing in the books is to remain anonymous she hasn't grasped that part all too well as of yet, when I heard the song I thought ah great Tom O'Seven, Jebus the Twins feast was epic, can't see it being that easy in the book, rather she will seduce him I think, so glad it's back my gods the wait has been tough.

She rejected the Faceless and kept her identity. That's the point. She refused to become no one. She used them for the training... She's a stone cold, trained assassin, but she's Arya Stark all the same.

• Advertisement

Arya has unfinished business, the Hound scenes made me sad, Wun Wun scared the ****e out of me, this is gonna be the best tv show ever this season. I'm trying to place the Archmeister know I've seen him somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Arya has unfinished business, the Hound scenes made me sad, Wun Wun scared the ****e out of me, this is gonna be the best tv show ever this season. I'm trying to place the Archmeister know I've seen him somewhere.

Didn't Wun Wun die at the battle of the bastards? So he's past the wall, probably just a random giant.

Also the Archmeister is Jim Broadbent!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Broadbent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Crow92 wrote: »
    Also the Archmeister is Jim Broadbent![/URL]

Was that the AM?
    Or just a random M?

It was Wun Wun as far as I could see. Knew I recognised the Archmeister thanks for that.

Was that the AM?
    Or just a random M?

Sam asked him permission to visit the restricted part of the library calling him Archmeister

Was that the AM?
    Or just a random M?
    Yea he's the Archmaester Marwyn
    It was Wun Wun as far as I could see. Knew I recognised the Archmeister thanks for that.

But then how did Wun Wun's dead body become a wight and then get back over the wall to the army?

It was a Bran vision may not have happened yet

Yea good point, forgot he could see into the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Decent but as mentioned, we're on a relatively quick countdown to the finale so could do with the pace picking up.

Nearly threw my breakfast at the TV when Sheeran turned up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Didn't catch who this was - who was it?
    Ned umber Alice Karstark two pivotal book characters weirdly used, Nice Cameo towards the end, made me jump as much as Sam did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Didn't catch who this was - who was it?
    Ned umber Alice Karstark two pivotal book characters weirdly used, Nice Cameo towards the end, made me jump as much as Sam did.

Ser Jorah. Not exactly a "cameo" tbh!

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Alys_Karstark

Ned Umber is no one, I was mistaking him for Eddard (Ned) Karstark who dies.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ser Jorah. Not exactly a "cameo" tbh!

His arm sticking out of a cell isn't front and centre now is it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Alys_Karstark

Ned Umber is no one, I was mistaking him for Eddard (Ned) Karstark who dies.

A boy is Ned Umber.

A boy is Ned Umber.

Walked right into that one didn't I. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You'd think Stannis would've locked the doors when he left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They'll want to pick up the pace a little with only 13 hours left, but fairly acceptable as the first episode back and a very good one in my opinion.

FpQJ4vS.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I thought it was an excellent opening and I like that they got a lot of things that could have been dragged on out of the way (The Frey's getting their comeuppance, Dany reaching Dragonstone).

As much as I like Ed Sheeran I thought he was a bit pointless in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What was the point in Ed Sheeran, and the bloody singing! UGH!

But great episode, didnt realise how much I missed GoT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah I was hoping the pace would pick up but great setup. Pretty much established the focus and cut away a lot of the old stuff.

Euron was quite unnerving I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

"It's where the wall meets the sea, there's a castle there."

log pops

"It's... probably fine.."

Vicxas wrote: »
    What was the point in Ed Sheeran, and the bloody singing! UGH!

But great episode, didnt realise how much I missed GoT.
    Wasn't looking forward to it when I saw him but he had one line (and hard to tell but I think one of the other guys was leading the singing?) so not really bothered either way personally.

Daith wrote: »
    Yeah I was hoping the pace would pick up but great setup. Pretty much established the focus and cut away a lot of the old stuff.

Euron was quite unnerving I thought.
    Thought his reaction to The Mountain stepping forward was brilliant, and the look he gave him when he leaned in slightly even more.

Really liking Pilou Asbaek in that role, very random by the way having two Danish lads sharing scenes in the biggest show possibly ever but Waldau has been excellent throughout and Asbaek is very much looking the part two. Saw a gas comment on reddit over his garb though - "you don't sail the 14 seas without getting a little bit funky". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

While ya, tad random having Sheeran I still really liked the scene with Ayra and the Lannister soilders- the way she didn't trust them, looking for their swords, then being wary of the wine (she did just murder people using poison so fair enough) then seeing the Human side of conflict's and how most soilders (one hoping their child a girl so they don't have to serve) don't particularly give a sh!te about the wars they're involved in

(Was one of the soilders the kid from This Is England?)

I still don't know about Euron, loved him in the book's, especially the released chapter from TWOW, but he doesn't seem to flow with shows narrative quite yet

Once again, The Hound gets best lines in the show- "baldy cnut"

Guessing there's gonna be a big ass battle up at East Watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Anytime a "good" character says something like "I'm going to do X" it never happens. I can see Arya getting sidetracked or deciding not to continue her quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Tormund's sexual looks at Brienne make me laugh every damn time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Good episode but felt it was missing something... 7/10 for me. The Hound scenes were the best for me, love that character.

I'm still convinced that Gilly's baby is a whitewalker spy... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

wp_rathead wrote: »

(Was one of the soilders the kid from This Is England?)

Yup, Thomas Turgoose iirc. Seemed a little out of place tbh but then he'll probably never shake that old character

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Decent enough episode, obviously they still have to have setup episodes but at least now there won't be 7 of them per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Kunkka wrote: »
    The Hound scenes were the best for me, love that character.

Yep he seems to have found what he was looking for. Something he can believe in or a higher power, as opposed to following orders and killing people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement