Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Does anyone know how to get one in Ireland?

I'm a teacher and I was very generously gifted a few One4All cards at the end of the year. I don't really spend money on myself so my fiancee is insisting I gift myself something nice with them. I was to use them to replace the roku 2 and make up the difference with my debit card but I'm not having any luck.

Obviously I'd love to go the Amazon route, but that isn't looking great. I already checked a few of the other shops but Littlewoods is the only place that sells them that I could see. Any ideas lads?

Littlewoods accept one4all vouchers.

Does anyone know how to get one in Ireland?

I'm a teacher and I was very generously gifted a few One4All cards at the end of the year. I don't really spend money on myself so my fiancee is insisting I gift myself something nice with them. I was to use them to replace the roku 2 and make up the difference with my debit card but I'm not having any luck.

Obviously I'd love to go the Amazon route, but that isn't looking great. I already checked a few of the other shops but Littlewoods is the only place that sells them that I could see. Any ideas lads?

Currys used to sell it, but doesn't seem they do any more.

I was in a similar position to you, and I just cashed out with One4All (at a loss of €7) and bought it on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

I saw that. They're also charging €249.99 which is around €60 more than Amazon.

If I have to, I will, but I was wondering if there was anywhere that some of you guys might know that didn't have such a big mark-up.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Currys used to sell it, but doesn't seem they do any more.

I was in a similar position to you, and I just cashed out with One4All (at a loss of €7) and bought it on Amazon.

This might the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

use promo code : NEW20 to get 20% discount , comes down €199.99

try new credit account and " pay in full now "

https://www.one4all.ie/littlewoodsireland-ie.html

Solaris10 wrote: »
    use promo code : NEW20 to get 20% discount , comes down €199.99

try new credit account and " pay in full now "

https://www.one4all.ie/littlewoodsireland-ie.html

That is fantastic. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

New%20Bitmap%20Image_zps1ncnc6ci.jpg

Solaris10 wrote: »
    New%20Bitmap%20Image_zps1ncnc6ci.jpg

Legend! Im away from Wednesday so I'll order it later in the week. Thank you again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Back from a few weeks away.. noticed Fortnite has been added.. played it on Mac a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it but maybe I'll give it another go.

Has there been any news about GeForce Now's pricing? Unsure if it's still free as I signed up and my trial period was during when rolled it back to free for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Basq wrote: »
    Back from a few weeks away.. noticed Fortnite has been added.. played it on Mac a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it but maybe I'll give it another go.

Has there been any news about GeForce Now's pricing? Unsure if it's still free as I signed up and my trial period was during when rolled it back to free for all.

It's still free but now supports lots of the pc games you own in Steam/origin/battlenet. You launch to a VM where the game installs, it streams from there and saves to the cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had a bit of a playback issue wire Netflix (nothing major ) but thought a system reboot of the shield may have been needed anyway as it hadn't been rebooted in weeks as far as I knew.

Only problem, restarting the machine doesn't seem to be an option anymore since the software update, there only seems to be an option to make the machine sleep.

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Had a bit of a playback issue wire Netflix (nothing major ) but thought a system reboot of the shield may have been needed anyway as it hadn't been rebooted in weeks as far as I knew.

Only problem, restarting the machine doesn't seem to be an option anymore since the software update, there only seems to be an option to make the machine sleep.

Or am I missing something?

Settings>About>Restart

ftm2008 wrote: »
    Settings>About>Restart

Ahhhhhh because keeping it with the sleep option would have made it too easy to find. :D

OK, might be a silly question, but here goes anyway.

So, when I go into the settings > about > power off option ~ how do I turn the thing back in again?

The remote doesn't seem to serve any function at all, I have had to turn the shield off/on at the wall to power it up again, but surely this isn't right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

That's how it's always worked for me. Seems to be a design decision based around you'd only ever Power Off if you're moving it. Sleep is what they use instead. I use Plex on mine (which works in Sleep mode streaming to other devices) so never Power Off completely; but if I do I have to unplug/replug the Shield to get her started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

So, when I go into the settings > about > power off option ~ how do I turn the thing back in again?

The remote doesn't seem to serve any function at all, I have had to turn the shield off/on at the wall to power it up again, but surely this isn't right?
    Use Google Voice,say turn off ,bingo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Google reply :- sorry can’t find bingo
    Here’s an alternative

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

I saw that. They're also charging €249.99 which is around €60 more than Amazon..
    The price on amazon is in sterling and is £186.38 which would roughly convert to €220.00 when using paypal or credit card. so the €199.00 in littlewoods is a good price

• Advertisement

ellobee wrote: »
    The price on amazon is in sterling and is £186.38 which would roughly convert to €220.00 when using paypal or credit card. so the €199.00 in littlewoods is a good price

€209 with Revolut
    Always use Revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All - Can anyone tell me what IPTV app to use with this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All - Can anyone tell me what IPTV app to use with this ?

I use STB Emulator but there are several that work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

yabadabado wrote: »
    I use STB Emulator but there are several that work.

GSE Iptv (android tv mode), Perfect player, iptv smarters. Plenty on the play store to try out.

There's definitely a gap in the market for an IPTV app that looks good and functions well. I use perfect player, but it is ugly as anything, and some tasks such as setting up favourite channels couldn't have been made more awkward if they tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There's definitely a gap in the market for an IPTV app that looks good and functions well. I use perfect player, but it is ugly as anything, and some tasks such as setting up favourite channels couldn't have been made more awkward if they tried.

IPTV smarters at least looks simple and I found it straightforward to setup. I found GSE the best app in terms of consistent stream quality. Perfect player was iffy at best sometimes.

One excellent app with a nice GUI that does it all would be welcome.

I use a dedicated apk.

It's absolutely spot on.

I use a dedicated apk.

It's absolutely spot on.

Dedicated apk, as in an IPTV service that uses their own app for streaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

yeah i use a dedicated app as well for my iptv. Wonderful content on it

daytob wrote: »
    yeah i use a dedicated app as well for my iptv. Wonderful content on it

Are you sure it's not just one of the generic ones rebranded

• Advertisement

Are you sure it's not just one of the generic ones rebranded
    Dedicated apk, as in an IPTV service that uses their own app for streaming?

It might actually be the above actually as there is a 'skinned' version of the app too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Use Kodi for IPTV, probably the slickest interface.

I personally think STB emulator is the best app, but I've heard good reports about TVIrl for Nvidia shield it even works off voice control. have a look on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

Has anyone tried using IPTV through plex? AFAIK it can be done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Has anyone tried using IPTV through plex? AFAIK it can be done...

It can, but should be avoided as it does not work well at all. Most services stopped offering it through that app because of all the problems it had, don't think anyone does anymore as there are far better options available.

BandMember wrote: »
    It can, but should be avoided as it does not work well at all. Most services stopped offering it through that app because of all the problems it had, don't think anyone does anymore as there are far better options available.

ah flip that's a pity. How can services stop you from using a certain app though? All you need is the m3u innit? How can they limit where you use that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What advantage would there have been to using plex over one the IPTV apps ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    What advantage would there have been to using plex over one the IPTV apps ?

Well I really like the plex app overall, plus it's where I watch all the rest of my content. So plex would be the only app I'd need in that situation

Well I really like the plex app overall, plus it's where I watch all the rest of my content. So plex would be the only app I'd need in that situation

The Plex addon in Kodi is much better than the native Plex app on Android TV

• Advertisement

The Plex addon in Kodi is much better than the native Plex app on Android TV

I use plex for webOs

I personally think STB emulator is the best app, but I've heard good reports about TVIrl for Nvidia shield it even works off voice control. have a look on youtube.

Agreed, I think stb emu is a decent enough app for iptv between that and emby it’s all I need on the shield really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

ah flip that's a pity. How can services stop you from using a certain app though? All you need is the m3u innit? How can they limit where you use that?

Live TV was completely unstable via Plex, I know as I tried it. Now, with so many other apps available, services prefer to provide their offerings using them as they are far more stable and the quality is so much better - far better experience for the user and far less hassle for the service provider as they are not inundated with issues and problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My bloody remote is gone dog laggy again. Only replaced the batteries a few months ago. Picked up the controller and it simply zips along. Will try new batteries again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Agreed, I think stb emu is a decent enough app for iptv between that and emby it’s all I need on the shield really

I'd be similar but I've tried and not had much success running Plex server on the Shield. Is Emby a straight up alternative to Plex which can run as a server on the Shield? Are there any particular pro's con's for Emby Vs Plex?

(Don't want to derail this thread into a Plex Vs Emby discussion so maybe just one reply here if OmegaGene is kind enough would be informative for all Shield users??)

I'd be similar but I've tried and not had much success running Plex server on the Shield. Is Emby a straight up alternative to Plex which can run as a server on the Shield? Are there any particular pro's con's for Emby Vs Plex?

(Don't want to derail this thread into a Plex Vs Emby discussion so maybe just one reply here if OmegaGene is kind enough would be informative for all Shield users??)

Emby is less polished but works well and is more customisable than Plex.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    What's the difference? They look the same :confused:

Sorry. There were huge difference up to last week when the Android TV Plex app updated to be visually more like the Kodi add-on. I've not played with it enough to see the difference yet. I've been using Kodi as it offers better passthrough audio options

BandMember wrote: »
    Live TV was completely unstable via Plex, I know as I tried it. Now, with so many other apps available, services prefer to provide their offerings using them as they are far more stable and the quality is so much better - far better experience for the user and far less hassle for the service provider as they are not inundated with issues and problems.

But what I asked was
    How can services stop you from using a certain app though? All you need is the m3u innit? How can they limit where you use that?

But what I asked was

Maybe they can see the IP of each device you're using I'm not sure but there is obviously a way as Netflix do it and some VPN providers limit the number of devices you can use on one account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

dodzy wrote: »
    My bloody remote is gone dog laggy again. Only replaced the batteries a few months ago. Picked up the controller and it simply zips along. Will try new batteries again :(

Mine stops working now all of a sudden. never had a problem with it before. It totally disconnects, pushing buttons etc doesn't "wake" it.

The only way to getting it going again is to remove the batteries and put them back in.

I only put new batteries in a few weeks back, so I don't think this is the issue. Battery level appears fine in the menu when i check also

Maybe they can see the IP of each device you're using I'm not sure but there is obviously a way as Netflix do it and some VPN providers limit the number of devices you can use on one account

The device would be the same tho innit? This would be more like netflix letting you use chrome but blocking IE

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement