Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What advantages does this have over a smart tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Mr.S wrote: »
    Smart TV’s are very low spec, and the apps will generally run poorly compared to dedicated set top boxes. If they aren’t running Android TV, there will be low selection of available apps as well.

If you’re just using it for Netflix, the smart tv will be fine, but for everything else it’s worth getting something external - the Shield is the top box, hence the price.

is amazon still the cheapest place to get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

wawaman wrote: »
    is amazon still the cheapest place to get it?
    Yeah, it's £190.48 delivered there.

But a local alternative for not a whole lot more is Littlewoods if there's one of those 10% vouchers floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, it's £190.48 delivered there.

But a local alternative for not a whole lot more is Littlewoods if there's one of those 10% vouchers floating around.

Works out at €195 from littlewoods if you take advantage of the 20% off using their credit system

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Works out at €195 from littlewoods if you take advantage of the 20% off using their credit system
    Yeah, spotted that.. but don't know enough about Littlewoods with regards their credit system - i.e interest and the like.

Yeah, spotted that.. but don't know enough about Littlewoods with regards their credit system - i.e interest and the like.

Take out the credit and pay it off fully within the month and no interest will b added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

ah flip that's a pity. How can services stop you from using a certain app though? All you need is the m3u innit? How can they limit where you use that?
    sorry misunderstood you the first time, I think what was meant was that the iptv providers offered a service through their own plex server, so they would give you a code to connect to their server rather than your own, of course they cant stop you using your own server if youre savvy to be able to set it up which I believe is quite difficult

ah flip that's a pity. How can services stop you from using a certain app though? All you need is the m3u innit? How can they limit where you use that?
    the 20% offer doesn't apply to any electrical items

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

ellobee wrote: »
    sorry misunderstood you the first time, I think what was meant was that the iptv providers offered a service through their own plex server, so they would give you a code to connect to their server rather than your own, of course they cant stop you using your own server if youre savvy to be able to set it up which I believe is quite difficult

Ahhh ok thanks that makes sense now :)

I did see a post on reddit from an irish guy who got IPTV going through his own plex server and he said it worked quite well for him. I might try it some time

the 20% offer doesn't apply to any electrical items

Must be a new thing if that’s the case
    I bought an iPhone and Xbox one x using credit to get 20% off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah the 20% off definitely worked previously.

Ahhh ok thanks that makes sense now :)

I did see a post on reddit from an irish guy who got IPTV going through his own plex server and he said it worked quite well for him. I might try it some time
    I did have it through a providers server and it was relatively stable the only thing I didnt like about it was there was no proper epg, but I hear plex have now developed a grid type epg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone looking for one of these may save a couple of euro buying it from ebay and shipped using address pal.
    It is the remote only version.
    I only quickly worked it out so may not be spot on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192623570384

€122 + €15.99 (Address Pal) = €138 + VAT = €169 + €10 (handling) = €179

£179 (€200) on Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075TBK232/

Admittedly it's not as big a saving as I thought when I first looked. Still some savings, Might suit more if you buy two.. (€165 each)
    Or wait for them to come back down again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Loving my Shield, amazing piece of kit - and incredibly fast.

Wondering has anybody setup TVheadend (https://tvheadend.org) on their LAN and used the Shield as a client?

anyone ever buy one from Amazon warehouse? There is one on there at the moment with the following description "item is in original packaging, but packaging has damage. Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the front of the item. Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the top of the item"
    Dont know if this relates to the box itself or packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

anyone ever buy one from Amazon warehouse? There is one on there at the moment with the following description "item is in original packaging, but packaging has damage. Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the front of the item. Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the top of the item"

It was returned in opened original packaging. Hence the remark about damaged original box.
    Dont know if this relates to the box itself or packaging.

To the item itself.

IMHO when it comes to electronics, the warehouse items are waste of time: Faulty electronics can be temperamental. people return them when they discover something is wrong. But Amazon does not test the returned items at all, they just visually inspect them and stuff is restocked into the warehouse deals as 'very good'. Four times I bought somethings like that and four times I ended up returning them again. Funnily enough they soon reappeared in the Warehouse deals again :D

The only items I would consider from warehouse deals are marked as 'As New' - the box wasn't opened yet.

grogi wrote: »
    It was returned in opened original packaging. Hence the remark about damaged original box.

To the item itself.

IMHO when it comes to electronics, the warehouse items are waste of time: Faulty electronics can be temperamental. people return them when they discover something is wrong. But Amazon does not test the returned items at all, they just visually inspect them and stuff is restocked into the warehouse deals as 'very good'. Four times I bought somethings like that and four times I ended up returning them again. Funnily enough they soon reappeared in the Warehouse deals again :D

The only items I would consider from warehouse deals are marked as 'As New' - the box wasn't opened yet.

Great, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, avoid warehouse electronics. Waste of time. They'll send out junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommyboy87

Going to America next month and am tempted to buy one. Does anyone know if the power supply comes with region-specific plug attachments or would it just be a US plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Okay I finally got to setting this up over the weekend.
    It is quite simply the best piece of kit that has come into my house.
    IPTV, Games, Internet surfing on the TV, it is class

Anyone here use eleven sports on it? Can't get it to work.

TvIrl is one helluva app... finally a fast and usable IPTV solution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

TvIrl is one helluva app... finally a fast and usable IPTV solution!

it is great.. only issue is program guide must be reloaded every 2 days..
    else its great. works with my tv remote and integrated into live channels

Anyone here use eleven sports on it? Can't get it to work.
    It's probably a supplier issue I have 2 subs from different suppliers and eleven is crap on both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's probably a supplier issue I have 2 subs from different suppliers and eleven is crap on both of them.

Works perfectly fine on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Tommyboy87 wrote: »
    Going to America next month and am tempted to buy one. Does anyone know if the power supply comes with region-specific plug attachments or would it just be a US plug?

Just buy a US > UK adapter for 1€ in Dealz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Just on that guys,

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/adapterrecall/

Check your plug to make sure it isn't a dodgy model

it is great.. only issue is program guide must be reloaded every 2 days..
    else its great. works with my tv remote and integrated into live channels
    When you say integrated into live channels what live channels do you mean,is it just live iptv or over the air channels or cable channels.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Just on that guys,

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/adapterrecall/

Check your plug to make sure it isn't a dodgy model

That's interesting.

I bought my Shield from Amazon France, but from memory it came with both UK and EU plugs, so have never actually used the EU one. Will check mine anyway.

When you say integrated into live channels what live channels do you mean,is it just live iptv or over the air channels or cable channels.

Pretty sure they mean the live channels app that is preinstalled on your Shield.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they mean the live channels app that is preinstalled on your Shield.
    Ok but do you know if that app is capable of integrating a number of sources say something like wooshbuild on the zgeemma where you can have sat. Channels and IPTV channels on the one epg.

Ok but do you know if that app is capable of integrating a number of sources say something like wooshbuild on the zgeemma where you can have sat. Channels and IPTV channels on the one epg.

TVirl are working on grouping, it is expected to be introduced soon, although they have said that it will be ready when it's ready.
    Import them in live channels app.

Suckit wrote: »
    TVirl are working on grouping, it is expected to be introduced soon, although they have said that it will be ready when it's ready.
    Import them in live channels app.
    so I can get my FTA sat channels and my iptv sub integrated into the live channels app, does anyone know if saorview can also be integrated, I think it could probably be done by using the HDhomerun box but thats an expensive solution, is there a cheaper way?? it would be great to have all my tv sources in the one place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

so I can get my FTA sat channels and my iptv sub integrated into the live channels app, does anyone know if saorview can also be integrated, I think it could probably be done by using the HDhomerun box but thats an expensive solution, is there a cheaper way?? it would be great to have all my tv sources in the one place

Forgive the ignorant question but if you have an IPTV sub what FTA or Saorview channels are you missing?

Forgive the ignorant question but if you have an IPTV sub what FTA or Saorview channels are you missing?

I was wondering the exact same thing because iptv has the full selection
    I have saorview as a back up on the tv in case the internet is out of action

100% the same. I've a combo FTA and Saorview box but increasingly we use the IPTV app (StbEmu) for content not available on the combo box and stick with it when switching to an FTA or Saorview channel and often forget entirely that we're watching via IPTV.

The only thing I haven't figured out on IPTV is how to record programs and in particular a "series watch" type function where you can set it to record all Match of the Day programs going forward and just forget about it. That would be great but as many of the IPTV channels have 24 hour rewind (and there are other sources to catch missed programs) it's not such a big deal.

ahh look we all know IPTV is not perfect I mainly use it for the sports and can put up with the odd bit of buffering or temporary freeze but my missus can't especially if she has her friends over watching strictly or some other rubbish so fta and saorview does her fine

Works perfectly fine on mine.
    Do you have an APK? I couldn't get an APK to work for me.

ahh look we all know IPTV is not perfect I mainly use it for the sports and can put up with the odd bit of buffering or temporary freeze but my missus can't especially if she has her friends over watching strictly or some other rubbish so fta and saorview does her fine

That’s a supplier issue I would say
    I had a very bad iptv once with no epg and constant freezing so I got rid of that one and now have a flawless viewing experience and never use fta or saorview but handy as a back up

I had a very bad iptv once with no epg and constant freezing so I got rid of that one and now have a flawless viewing experience and never use fta or saorview but handy as a back up
    I have tried numerous suppliers and haven't found one that was flawless, so you know what might next question is. Can you pm me the details

• Advertisement

Same here. ;)

Closed to new members now though AFAIK.

Same here. ;)

Closed to new members now though AFAIK.
    Sure let me try anyway they might recommend someone else if they won't take on new customers

Sure let me try anyway they might recommend someone else if they won't take on new customers
    yeah didn't think so, there are only a few main suppliers left everyone else is a reseller they are all selling the same thing and none of them are 100% flawless anyway it is what is and you get what you pay for. Anyway I'm getting off topic I'm looking forward to getting the shield and setting up my TV sources in the live channels app.

Yes, when it is ready. Saorview may be possible too but I can't say for sure.
    Yes, it is good to have them. I think flawless has different definitions here. IPTV is definitely not flawless. None of the main IPTV providers are selling true IPTV, so they are at the mercy of the providers feed. I think there was one main service feeding to a few others for a while but I believe that they are gone now. I prefer to have the backup FTA anyway in case any provider I am using decides to cram more customers on to their subs, and for outage issues. I am guessing many are on the same three services, possibly most.

Suckit wrote: »
    Yes, when it is ready. Saorview may be possible too but I can't say for sure.
    Yes, it is good to have them. I think flawless has different definitions here. IPTV is definitely not flawless. None of the main IPTV providers are selling true IPTV, so they are at the mercy of the providers feed. I think there was one main service feeding to a few others for a while but I believe that they are gone now. I prefer to have the backup FTA anyway in case any provider I am using decides to cram more customers on to their subs, and for outage issues. I am guessing many are on the same three services, possibly most.
    Yeah totally agree, I have also found that there are some really cheap providers out there offering as good a service as the more expensive ones. BTW what do you mean by when it's ready, are there changes coming to saorview or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Yeah totally agree, I have also found that there are some really cheap providers out there offering as good a service as the more expensive ones. BTW what do you mean by when it's ready, are there changes coming to saorview or something.

Anyone looking for it pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Off-topic, but is there a cheap, reliable HD freeview/Saorview box out there to put with an old but still very good dumb tv? It's for the ma, no way I'd get her head around the likes of IPTV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has anyone played GTA San Andreas on their Shield here? How's the controller support?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

So i setup TvIrl yesterday and after some long time trying to sort it out i gave up. 
    The problem i have is that it is importing all of the tv shows and movies from my IPTV sub. Over 18k in total so it goes so far and then times out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

corwill wrote: »
    Off-topic, but is there a cheap, reliable HD freeview/Saorview box out there to put with an old but still very good dumb tv? It's for the ma, no way I'd get her head around the likes of IPTV!

Any combo will do fine (SAT / TERR). But you'll need a sat dish for the UK stuff and antenna for the local channels. The ideal would be Freesat (channels auto update) for the UK stuff and separate for saorview but that 2 boxes/2 controls.

Have you dish or/and antenna in place ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement