Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Any order over £25 is free shipping to Ireland (if the item ships to Ireland).

No need to sign up for Prime.

Got my shield on Amazon in September 2017.

You won't get better service.

may as well use the free prime video for the month
    i got mine direct from nvidia in 2 days via pw

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Any order over £25 is free shipping to Ireland (if the item ships to Ireland).

No need to sign up for Prime.

Got my shield on Amazon in September 2017.

You won't get better service.

Prime gives you priority 2 day shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Any deals on these, seems a bit much for what I want it for. Have one already and it's top notch. But looking for a second and it's dearer now than when I got mine. Not streaming 4K so could't give a monkeys about that. Suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

pj12332 wrote: »
    Alright lads,
    Can I get advice please. I have absolutely no interest in gaming. I'm looking for a quality box that I can watch TV and movies on. I'm not getting into a discussion over piracy. I just want to know about the box itself please. Can anyone let me know if this box would be a lot better than the mi box if it was being used for streaming primarily. I have Chromecast for Netflix etc and use my phone. But looking for something where I can get more reliable IPTV services as apps on phone are becoming very unreliable.

Thanks in advance.
    Firestick

Firestick

They will be going cheap now the 4k version is out, I’m tempted with a 3rd shield myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They will be going cheap now the 4k version is out, I’m tempted with a 3rd shield myself

Now that the new GPU is out and so many competing, I'm not sure the €180 Shield is the best option.
    Lifespan?

Suckit wrote: »
    Now that the new GPU is out and so many competing, I'm not sure the €180 Shield is the best option.
    Lifespan?

Nvidia Tegra is a completely different architecture. It is a quad core CPU and 256 core GPU in one. There is no new Shield or upgrade, they'd have had it at CES if there was one on the horizon so the Shield will not be bettered for a while yet.

Have to bow down to the knowledge of high horse
    He seems to know his stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Yep, and there won't be another shield either, they have abandoned the production of the tegra chip, and aren't planning on a new mobile chip yet, from what I've read this is due to no mobile phone manufacturers putting the chip into their phones.

Nvidia Tegra is a completely different architecture. It is a quad core CPU and 256 core GPU in one. There is no new Shield or upgrade, they'd have had it at CES if there was one on the horizon so the Shield will not be bettered for a while yet.

Shield is already bettered. NUC. (NUC slimline)
    That's not what I meant though.

• Advertisement

That's a micro desktop pc and it's not on the same market as the Shield/Android boxes/consoles

That's a micro desktop pc and it's not on the same market as the Shield/Android boxes/consoles

It is, bought the DKNY, it was €150, has NVidia GPU slimline and beats the shield.

Not the only one btw.

The shield strived to get in the middle market and has succeeded. But there are some better out there. Not maybe better. Bang for buck better.

It is, bought the DKNY, it was €150, has NVidia GPU slimline and beats the shield.

Not the only one btw.

The shield strived to get in the middle market and has succeeded. But there are some better out there. Not maybe better. Bang for buck better.

I've given up on bang for buck better, both my OnePlus phone and Shield are unrooted and getting official updates. I no longer have the time (or want) to tinker and play. I've went from a modded XBox (XBMC), to a Boxee box (XBMC which at the time promised to be open, never happened), to a custom Atom HTPC (Windows and then Openelec), to an Arctic MC001 (Openelec then OpenPHT), to a Shield (Plex and now Emby). The Shield gives an amazing all round experience no way I'd ever go back to a custom OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not the only one btw.

The support of the box and the absolute no nonsense operation trumps any cheaper tinker with it yourself Version.

I've no time to fix or repair boxes for my mother or other half. Peaceful operation is what's needed. The shield delivers that.

I'm not trying to (I can't think of a word) make negative on anyones remarks, i was just pointing out for the money, there are better, but as was pointed out, The NVidia shield, just is.

Out of the box etc.
    I like to throw out alternatives, I mess about with them, did them all Boxee too (That was a short life span :D) and I am kinda tired messing around, but I still think people should do what we did. I'm drunk. I'll go home now.

....but I still think people should do what we did.

I don't. My mother and my brother both have Shields after years and years of support and headaches I've finally found a box that's plug and play and completely trouble free. Happy days!!!

To anyone and everyone that is using IPTV. I just found a crowd that are telling everyone "That's the nature of IPTV" every time that they go down.

That is not the nature of it. IPTV is/should be pretty stable now.
    It should not go down more than once every 6 months.

I had written other stuff, but that is not as relevant.

If your IPTV goes down once every 6 months, change provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

To anyone and everyone that is using IPTV. I just found a crowd that are telling everyone "That's the nature of IPTV" every time that they go down.

That is not the nature of it. IPTV is/should be pretty stable now.
    It should not go down more than once every 6 months.

I had written other stuff, but that is not as relevant.

If your IPTV goes down once every 6 months, change provider.

I sell it and never get my customers to take a Yr out only 6 months at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Yea, have to agree with the sentiment here.

I've been through the whole self build and custom O.S ringer many times with great success, but also disappointment as either the O.S or hardware would move on, and ultimate you're setup would be rendered useless, or close too.

Then came along the Nvidia Shield which ticked lots of boxes.
    If I was to revert back to a self build I could possible put together a better setup, but again the I would be open to the risks pointed above, and trying to move away from the Nvidia at this stage would also put spending into the realm of a false economy - yes its a bit pricey but ever there was a device that justifies the price the Nivida Shield TV is it.

I thought he meant the service he was using went pear shaped all the time and was being fobbed off

Kind of. I found out seller today was telling subscribers that "It's normal for IPTV"
    It's not

If your service has gone down more than once in the past 6 months (and it's not an upgrade), then your service is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lads, c'mon, seriously, how many times do people have to ask for no IPTV talk on the thread to prevent it from being locked???

BandMember wrote: »
    Lads, c'mon, seriously, how many times do people have to ask for no IPTV talk on the thread to prevent it from being locked???

I hear you and I agree, but I also don't like the way the word IPTV (or is it letters *scrathes head) seems now to be dirty and thou shalt not discuss.

Not all IPTV talk, apps and services are illegal. I'm sure the mods are aware of this so it's not an easy thing to moderate i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Plug in and setup within 20 minutes with 5.1 surround sound output and G/F Proof is not something you will get with a HTPC though.

Everything on the Shield just works and it has native apps such as Netflix supporting 4K

HTPC just has KODI and you have to fart around sticking your own distro on it.

"2 seconds love I just just have to ssh in and check the logs there to see whats going on" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Wondering is there a quick way to pair my Shield with my Sonos Play One speaker. Also have a echo dot in the room.

I hear you and I agree, but I also don't like the way the word IPTV (or is it letters *scrathes head) seems now to be dirty and thou shalt not discuss.

Not all IPTV talk, apps and services are illegal. I'm sure the mods are aware of this so it's not an easy thing to moderate i'd imagine.

that 4 letter word is frowned upon around these parts lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

that 4 letter word is frowned upon around these parts lol

It's not that it's frowned upon by members or users of it id love to be able talk about it and share my service I do it elsewhere but it's a sure fire way to get the thread closed down on boards.

Like I said before boards allow people discuss and share links to counterfeit soccer jerseys but even a sniff or talking about tv is shut down straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

So where would I find some good IPTV sources for my Shield? :P

<ducks>

SHUT IT DOWN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It's a shame this thread isn’t used for actual bargain anymore though. I’m after another one and feel that I am wasting my time whenever there is a new post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Here's the last BA you'll need on this subject so: https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Nvidia-SHIELD-Remote-Controller-Black/product/B01NBJ6KZY

Just stick in the price you'd like the Shield to drop below and CamelCamelCamel will notify you when that happens. Done.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    It's a shame this thread isn’t used for actual bargain anymore though. I’m after another one and feel that I am wasting my time whenever there is a new post.

Black Friday isn’t far away
    Keep an eye on the nvidia website they tend to drop the price around then

redcup342 wrote: »
    Plug in and setup within 20 minutes with 5.1 surround sound output and G/F Proof is not something you will get with a HTPC though.

Everything on the Shield just works and it has native apps such as Netflix supporting 4K

HTPC just has KODI and you have to fart around sticking your own distro on it.

"2 seconds love I just just have to ssh in and check the logs there to see whats going on" :P

There is all that :)
    HTPC is not all about Kodi, but no denying how good Nvidia Shield is.

Sorry for mentioning the four letter word, I just see/saw it becoming a way to rip people off and thought it best mentioned.

Shield is best piece of kit for that price, and for ease of use. (The important bit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Anyway of Getting RTE player working properly on this I sideloaded the app but it was terribly in that it was hard to navigate and it wouldn't play in hd.

RHJ wrote: »
    Anyway of Getting RTE player working properly on this I sideloaded the app but it was terribly in that it was hard to navigate and it wouldn't play in hd.

The RTE player is pants and responsibility falls 100% on the side of RTE

Think you'd find it hard to come across a worse player from a national broadcaster anywhere in the world - tis beyond a joke at this stage and years in the making

As far as I know you can’t get it working, could be seen as a blessing
    Try the tips and tricks thread for the shield, that’s where the experts hang out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

I asked this question before and apparently what you are experiencing now seems to be case. I was told that it doesn't work properly and is SD only.

Sure it never works right on their website anyway, it's an absolute piece of crap and a disgrace that taxpayers money is being used wasted on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They are meant to be relaunching it "soon". Not sure what that means. Maybe making it slightly less pants to a big fanfare no doubt.

It's on amazon.com for $139 with remote only, and total at €168 delivered.
    But will more than likely come down on amazon UK for black friday sales anyway
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RXV2VR/
    They are also offering a bundle with a free echo dot, but they don't offer delivery for that bundle here. It might be worth looking out for here also.

The free dot bundle was posted yesterday in one of the Nvidia threads and someone said they don’t post to address pal for some reason
    Black Friday should see it at around the £150 mark going by last years sales but they went quick

The person that said amazon wouldn’t post to address pal was mistaken, I’ve just ordered one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

what powers the shield? Plug wise?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

bidiots wrote: »
    what powers the shield? Plug wise?

A proprietary plug similar to a USB phone charger.

Annoying since they can emit a squeal noise which you need to get onto Nvidia for an RMA replacement plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The person that said amazon wouldn’t post to address pal was mistaken, I’ve just ordered one

Will you not be done for customs and vat?

So

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Guessing oneaga was either pissed or more likely, predictive text ;)

No is the answer. The import tax will be calculated and factored into the final price which you then pay. In the earlier post, you will see it was up at $139 and the final price is €168.

dodzy wrote: »
    Guessing oneaga was either pissed or more likely, predictive text ;)

No is the answer. The import tax will be calculated and factored into the final price which you then pay. In the earlier post, you will see it was up at $139 and the final price is €168.

I’m having it delivered in America to addresspal I haven’t paid import tax or vat as yet and if I pay it via address pal then so be it, the item is still cheaper and no I wasn’t under the influence of drink as it happens and it wasn’t predictive text, I just thought it was a daft question.
    I can sell the echo dot and that will cover any extra charges that may or may not arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I’m having it delivered in America to addresspal I haven’t paid import tax or vat as yet and if I pay it via address pal then so be it, the item is still cheaper and no I wasn’t under the influence of drink as it happens and it wasn’t predictive text, I just thought it was a daft question.
    I can sell the echo dot and that will cover any extra charges that may or may not arise.

Ok but your tax bill could be 65 quid or so not inc address pal fees. Don't see how it's a daft question tbh.

Youll likely be able to get it for 170 on black Friday. Add in the dot and it's about 220. About 20 cheaper than your deal.

Ok but your tax bill could be 65 quid or so not inc address pal fees. Don't see how it's a daft question tbh.

It’s a daft question because addresspal will not accept the item without a label showing the price so they can calculate the extras for me to pay.
    Ah ninja edit
    The person I bought it for doesn’t want to wait for Black Friday deals
    I’ve already said in a previous post it’s likely to be around the £150 mark for Black Friday same as when I bought mine last year
    the bundle with the dot included and customs and addresspal charge is roughly €205 and i can sell the dot for the person bringing the price down to a sensible price imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

If the plug needs replacing, will support with Amazon.com not be a bit problematic compared to .co.uk?

bidiots wrote: »
    If the plug needs replacing, will support with Amazon.com not be a bit problematic compared to .co.uk?

had two in my house and i havent heard a noise or changed the plugs so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

had two in my house and i havent heard a noise or changed the plugs so far

Got one in the states when the original was first released. Nvidia sent out a replacement when I contacted them. Took about 3 days. Was no hassle getting uk/ie plug rather than the us one mine came with also. So this won't be an issue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement