Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

What's are good website for how to guides, information ect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

£150 without controller and £160 with controller

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/?ClickID=bqgszm66qzzzgqvsydyzf6s1mdvkzs6lmgyg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have an old Shield with a Controller, but no remote.

Would like to get a remote but can't justify buying it alone, half tempted to get a new one even though I have no need for it!

Anyone any remotes they'd be willing to part with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Would like to get a remote but can't justify buying it alone, half tempted to get a new one even though I have no need for it!

If I were you I'd buy the package from Nvidia for the £160 and sell your old model on Adverts. You'd get a remote and a much better controller. That's if you can live without the SD card slot......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I bought 2 2017 Shields this year, never used the controllers. Would be happy to let them(controllers) go for €40 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

If you get a brand new tv with webos for example and buy a ps4. Would it be still worthwhile having one of these do you think?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I bought 2 2017 Shields this year, never used the controllers. Would be happy to let them(controllers) go for €40 each.

I'd take one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I sold my old shield and bought a new one. I never use the remote. The new remote is a better design but there is no real difference beteeen the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

cronos wrote: »
    If you get a brand new tv with webos for example and buy a ps4. Would it be still worthwhile having one of these do you think?

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. The PS4 is better for games compared to the Shield's native games but doesn't have the same emulation abilities that the Shield does.

The webos TV (LG I assume?) will have standard streaming apps but doesn't have Kodi which is where the Shield really shines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

yep its a great box it just works! fair play to Nvidia for continuing to support the original box that I have (got it in the Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale 2 years ago), I use it for Netflix YouTube IPTV etc! Nothing can really come close to touching it! Highly recommended for those who know what their doing and willing to pay the price.

Does the iptv work well on it, I’m running it on a mag box and another Gemma thing but no TV guide and the boxes aren’t that easy for the other people in the house ?
    Maybe you can drop me a pm rather than posting here, thanks in advance

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

What kind of benefits do you get with rooted shield tv?
    i root my phones but never bothered with the shield since i mostly game and watch netflix with it

stimpson wrote: »
    I sold my old shield and bought a new one. I never use the remote. The new remote is a better design but there is no real difference beteeen the consoles.

Do you just use the controller then?

I would imagine using the remote is easier than the controller, one handed etc.

KilOit wrote: »
    What kind of benefits do you get with rooted shield tv?
    i root my phones but never bothered with the shield since i mostly game and watch netflix with it

People do it to have the full Android experience from what i can see.

Personally, i like the LeanBack launcher, and it has enough apps to keep me content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

There are plenty of Android TV games that are not FPS, coupled with emulation there is a wealth of variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I'm struggling to order that to Ireland or parcel motel. Anyone had success?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Could use one like this if voice commands are not required
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Remote-Airmouse-Frequency-Multimedia/dp/B01DC6WC4K/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K07H0S8TJRB2J77HZ525

Also people have reported that the much cheaper Fire TV remote works as a bluetooth device, along with voice commands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

dan185 wrote: »

Ordered. I'll sell the remote when it arrives for 30 quid if anyone wants it.

Ordered. I'll sell the remote when it arrives for 30 quid if anyone wants it.

I'll take the remote for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Post a Link the one you’re ordering Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I have a minix neo u1 - wat can this do that’s different?

Pious14 wrote: »
    I’m getting it for 2 reasons:

To replace an ageing minix x8-h
    And for emulation retro gaming

Purely on specs, it’s a serious box.

That said, the u1 is very decent. If you’re just streaming and using Kodi, you have a very good box already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Pious14 wrote: »

Proper Android TV, 4K/HD/5.1 Netflix, Amazon Prime Video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

Was this reduced last black Friday and if so by how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Does the iptv work well on it, I’m running it on a mag box and another Gemma thing but no TV guide and the boxes aren’t that easy for the other people in the house ?
    Maybe you can drop me a pm rather than posting here, thanks in advance

Check out STB emulator for IPTV .

brightkane wrote: »
    Was this reduced last black Friday and if so by how much?

Not that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Questionable?

How can I order this to Ireland? Won't take my card as the billing address is in Ireland. Have a parcel motel account for the shipping address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

stimpson wrote: »

Yeah. I just use the controller. The remote from my TV works as well through HDMI-CEC so I generally use that. TBH I’m not sure when I last saw the remote.

• Advertisement

How can I order this to Ireland? Won't take my card as the billing address is in Ireland. Have a parcel motel account for the shipping address

Order direct from Amazon.
    Where you trying to order from ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Order direct from Amazon.
    Where you trying to order from ?

Nvidia are selling it for £30 off directly

Basil3 wrote: »

Didnt realise that.
    I suppose PayPal/Revolut card and Parcel Model is best option.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Link here. great price. Paypal & PM/PW/AP . £159. Can't see it going this low with Amazon next week.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

dodzy wrote: »
    Link ?

Its on the Nvidia UK site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Right lads I’ve been watching videos on this and it looks great and am debating purchasing today but quick query before hand

My uses for this would be streaming certain things not on Netflix and cartoons for the kid during the day
    I’m using iptv at the moment on a couple of boxes but one of them has given up today

Would this be over kill for my needs or would I be better off getting a cheaper android
    I was all for this and people on reddit seemed to be advising others if you’re not gaming on it don’t bother
    I have an Xbox one x so I wouldn’t use it for gaming

Thanks in advance and sorry If it’s a stupid question but I want to be sure before buying it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Right lads I’ve been watching videos on this and it looks great and am debating purchasing today but quick query before hand

My uses for this would be streaming certain things not on Netflix and cartoons for the kid during the day
    I’m using iptv at the moment on a couple of boxes but one of them has given up today

Would this be over kill for my needs or would I be better off getting a cheaper android
    I was all for this and people on reddit seemed to be advising others if you’re not gaming on it don’t bother

Thanks in advance and sorry If it’s a stupid question but I want to be sure before buying it

It's not overkill IMO, it's about the ongoing support it gets through continuous updates.

From looking up guides you'd need to be a rocket scientist to get IPTV working on a Shield. Seems impossible.

You can just set it up through Kodi, surely?

It's pretty simple with the perfect player app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd advise to just get a fire stick.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'd advise to just get a fire stick.

Pretty poor for IPTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Pretty poor for IPTV

Not at all, stick perfect player on stick and away you go

Check your pm's

What do you mean by this ?

£30 off offer ends 20/11/17(possibly 12am tonight).

The shield is on hdmi 2 and the normal TV (horizon box) is on hdmi 1, so if I want to pull up YouTube or use Assistant or something I have to switch hdmi sources on the TV first. Presumably with a proper Sony Android smart TV it's all there all the time even if you're watching TV instead of two totally separate devices.

Get a Logitech Harmony remote, best investment I've ever made. Works with every device * and Google Assistant

*get the ultimate one with a hub which adds Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

It will use IR for the TV. The Shield uses bluetooth, wifi is so google assistant can talk to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511093462&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+elite
    Keep an eye on the sales, they do drop in price every so often

OK Google turn on the shield (I've added this as a shortcut instead of saying ask Harmony turn on the shield). The Tv turns on, changes to HDMI 1, the Shield turns on, the surround reciever turns on and sets itself to the Shield input. The remote then works for the Shield with the volume buttons controlling the receiver

Ok Google ask Harmony turn on Sky News and it changes the input on my reciever to my Amiko alien 2 Sat box and then after a few seconds changes to Sky News

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement