Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving job without notice

• 09-07-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So basically I'm a university student who decided to work in a fast food restaurant during the summer holidays in order to fund for bus fares and a laptop for university in September. Although I don't have a problem with the actual job itself, it's just that the manager won't give me a 3 day holiday during the week of longitude even though I informed him about it since day 1 of the job and reminded him every 2 weeks and he agreed every time. Whenever I try to bring up the topic to him he keeps on saying "Tough luck, there's always next year". By the way this is the only holiday I asked for all summer and I explained to him about it saying this is the only time of the summer where I can meet up and have fun with my friends who live far away from Dublin. Yet again he told he to leave his office and go back to work.

So my main question is can I leave the job without notice and will I be paid for the days that I have worked and the uniform that I will return?In my contract and the handbook it says that if someone has worked for less than 13 weeks, which I have, no notice of leaving is needed but there are many things in the handbook that the manager doesn't seem to follow.

I never wanted to end a job like this but if the manager threatens to fire me for not coming on the days of longitude (15-17 july) when I asked numerous times and he agreed to it, then I think it's time to go.

By the way, I have another job lined up working for a relative so I don't think it's the end of the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you're there less than 13 weeks, yes, you can leave with no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DenisG98

If you're there less than 13 weeks, yes, you can leave with no notice.

Will I face any disciplinary action, and do I just go to the manager and say that I will be finishing today?

Yes you can leave, whenever you want. Just don't put them as a reference on your cv

On a harsher note, if you are prepared to leave a job over not getting a day off, I hope that university teaches some reality

Getting time off in any job over the summer for festival weekends is always hard. Normally have to be booked at very start of year

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DenisG98

Yes you can leave, whenever you want. Just don't put them as a reference on your cv

On a harsher note, if you are prepared to leave a job over not getting a day off, I hope that university teaches some reality

Getting time off in any job over the summer for festival weekends is always hard. Normally have to be booked at very start of year

Like I said I don't have any problems working on days off (like I have before), but if I have told the manager about this event and showed him tickets for proof about 2 months ago and he wrote my holidays in to the calendar, then I expect to have holidays on those days, no matter if it's a summer job or a long term job.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭inajock

Walk...enjoy your break.

• Advertisement

DenisG98 wrote: »
    Like I said I don't have any problems working on days off (like I have before), but if I have told the manager about this event and showed him tickets for proof about 2 months ago and he wrote my holidays in to the calendar, then I expect to have holidays on those days, no matter if it's a summer job or a long term job.

You are certainly being treated unfairly. You just have to decide if it is worth leaving the summer job over. No point in coming home from festival hungover, broke, and no job

I understand you have a job with family lined up, so it's up to you, which will help you save more money over the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yaawwwwwwnnnnnn......

OP of course you can walk away.
    You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Ignore the keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Don't be silly OP made his employer aware of holidays when he started so he's actually entitled to take these holidays as they were arranged prior to contract and presume the employer was made aware of this.

OP I doubt he'll sack you just tell him you're taking your holidays as arranged at the beginning of your contract. If you wanted to dig your heals in you could but probably best to walk away if they kick up a fuss your manager sounds like a tosser.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Don't be silly OP made his employer aware of holidays when he started so he's actually entitled to take these holidays as they were arranged prior to contract and presume the employer was made aware of this.

OP I doubt he'll sack you just tell him you're taking your holidays as arranged at the beginning of your contract. If you wanted to dig your heals in you could but probably best to walk away if they kick up a fuss your manager sounds like a tosser.

How do you reason with a tosser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

DenisG98 wrote: »
    Will I face any disciplinary action, and do I just go to the manager and say that I will be finishing today?

No disciplinary action, it's the law, and you must be paid for hours worked and holidays accrued.

Yep, just tell him, but also have it in writing for their records, too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement