Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician Apprenticeship info

Options
  • 09-07-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All
    I am looking to start a electrical apprenticeship i am 32 and think it's the perfect time to start for me.Im just wondering what the course work is like and the maths that is included in the work.I would like to have a look if there are any books with samples of course work I have contacted Solas and my local training centre but they can not help me.Also if anyone knows anywhere currently looking for a apprentice electrician please let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The maths is no harder than leaving cert pass maths.

If you want to study check out some basic trigonometry (right angles triangles only) and a bit of algebra. Leaving cert maths books cover this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 black sabbath

2011 wrote: »
    The maths is no harder than leaving cert pass maths.

If you want to study check out some basic trigonometry (right angles triangles only) and a bit of algebra. Leaving cert maths books cover this.

Thanks I was also wondering about the physics side of it what to expect .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks I was also wondering about the physics side of it what to expect .

The physics will be electrical science with many different topics. There is quite a bit to learn but they start with the basics and assume that you have zero electrical understanding. If you apply yourself you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If you are starting the trade Have a look at investing in this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Installation-Calculations-Advanced-8th/dp/0415810035/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

If you can understand what is covered in the book you will pass the maths part no bother to you
    Phase 2 the maths is relatively easy and light weight but there is a big jump from that to phase4.
    Its been a few years since i finished but if you pm me i should be able to send you a bit more as a
    help

Best of luck and let us know how you get on
    Gar

crasy dash wrote: »
    If you are starting the trade Have a look at investing in this book

If you can understand what is covered in the book you will pass the maths part no bother to you
    Phase 2 the maths is relatively easy and light weight but there is a big jump from that to phase4.
    Its been a few years since i finished but if you pm me i should be able to send you a bit more as a
    help

Best of luck and let us know how you get on
    Gar

Hi Gar
    I PM'd you thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Still at work but will reply to your pm later tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I qualified as a sparks over 10 years ago with only a D in junior cert maths behind me. It wasn't easy I'm not going to lie. Had to repeat some exams and study at home and do night class's/grinds. Imo you are thought everything you need to know and given every opportunity to pass. Lads who don't complete the 7 phases don't apply them selfs again this is just my opinion but don't be afraid to go for it as it's an interesting and generally clean way to make a living tho I still get shudders thinking of the formula 2 (pie) F L squared.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I qualified as a sparks over 10 years ago with only a D in junior cert maths behind me. It wasn't easy I'm not going to lie. Had to repeat some exams and study at home and do night class's/grinds. Imo you are thought everything you need to know and given every opportunity to pass. Lads who don't complete the 7 phases don't apply them selfs again this is just my opinion but don't be afraid to go for it as it's an interesting and generally clean way to make a living tho I still get shudders thinking of the formula 2 (pie) F L squared.

It is something I have been wanting to do fr quite a while but I haven't had the chance .It is the most interesting of the trades imo I have applied to a few places now so hope to hear soon.The maths part I was neverous about but as I have been told on here and by electrication s it's doable if the work is put in with grinds and such been available also.
    Solas have contacted me to tell me the waiting time for the second phase is about 10months.Was also told that they aim to have you complete it in 4 years max All going well.

It is something I have been wanting to do fr quite a while but I haven't had the chance

I was older than most as an apprentice too.
    It is the most interesting of the trades imo

I agree.
    The maths part I was neverous about but as I have been told on here and by electrication s it's doable if the work is put in with grinds and such been available also.

What level of maths do you have? Leaving cert? Or junior cert?
    Don't let the maths stress you out.

Speaking as someone that has been through this, I firmly believe that anyone that puts in the effort will pass the only difference is that some have to work harder than others. If it is any consolation I had to work harder at it than some of the others.

2011 wrote: »
    I was older than most as an apprentice too.

I agree.

What level of maths do you have? Leaving cert? Or junior cert?
    Don't let the maths stress you out.

Speaking as someone that has been through this, I firmly believe that anyone that puts in the effort will pass the only difference is that some have to work harder than others. If it is any consolation I had to work harder at it than some of the others.

I have a leaving certificate.It was at the start but the more I talk to now I'm no longer stressed about it.

• Advertisement

I have a leaving certificate.

It's just revision so.
    Good luck with it.

Advertisement