Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting of hedge?

• 09-07-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Can a hedge be trimmed back if it affects your exit/site/view onto a road without the farmers permission?
    If so where is this written that says you can do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

You need to be able to exit your property without endangering yourself or other road users.

Why do you think you would need a farmers permission to be able to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hedge might be within the boundary line of their property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Offer to cut the hedge for the farmer. Farmer and/or council may be interested in cutting it anyway.
    brian_t wrote: »
    Why do you think you would need a farmers permission to be able to do this.
    Because it's the farmer's hedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

If you cut it in nice and tidy,cant see the farmer /neighbour having a problem but better to say to him/her would they mind if you did for safety reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

I suspect you would need his permission but you also need to be aware of the law in regard to cutting hedgerows as it is an offence to do that at certain times of the year.

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/restrictions-cutting-hedgerows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

paul71 wrote: »
    I suspect you would need his permission but you also need to be aware of the law in regard to cutting hedgerows as it is an offence to do that at certain times of the year.

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/restrictions-cutting-hedgerows

Does uncultivated land mean wild hedges i.e. not farmland or garden?

Does uncultivated land mean wild hedges i.e. not farmland or garden?

All hedgerows on farmland are "wild" (whatever that means) but managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

H and S overrides cutting date issues. Out of courtesy, ask the farmer if he wouldn't mind you trimming it, for safety reasons. He''ll either offer to cut or tell you go ahead, most likely. He is in a poor position if he refuses.

Water John wrote: »
    H and S overrides cutting date issues.

Does it?
    Not sure where it would say that in the legislation but for practical purposes yes you would have to be dealing with a real Jobsworth of a Guard for him to make an issue of it.
    However I would suggest to the op that since this will be an issue that he will have every year that the sensible thing to do is to ask the farmer to cut back the hedgerow in March before birds start nesting as that is the reason the legislation is there Ie. to protect wildlife not to inconvenience people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Does it?
    Not sure where it would say that in the legislation but for practical purposes yes you would have to be dealing with a real Jobsworth of a Guard for him to make an issue of it.
    However I would suggest to the op that since this will be an issue that he will have every year that the sensible thing to do is to ask the farmer to cut back the hedgerow in March before birds start nesting as that is the reason the legislation is there Ie. to protect wildlife not to inconvenience people.

The green growth comes heavy after march when official hedge cutting date is over,its at it peak now with high and wide foliage so should be cut back for safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does it?

Cutting for traffic safety is allowed all year round, just wish more county councils would cut back hedges during the heavy growth periods one junction I use is getting difficult to see oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What about over growth on footpaths? Where the footpath is completely blocked by growth on side hedges, forcing pedestrians to use the road.

Council have rarely if ever cut hedging back. Can anyone cut them back? i.e could a few neighbours cut them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

This farmer will not give me permission it is his hedge. He also has a spite against us as we got planning permission after his objections. So can I 'face' front of ditch if it is affecting safety onto a road.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cb7 wrote: »
    This farmer will not give me permission it is his hedge. He also has a spite against us as we got planning permission after his objections. So can I 'face' front of ditch if it is affecting safety onto a road.?

Contact your county council about a dangerous hedge obstructing your vision, they might be able to do something

What is he going to do if you cut it back.

Call the Gards or sue you.

Don't forget to wear a high-viz jacket when you are working alongside a road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

All the more reason to go by the book. If you go and cut your neighbours hedge he can and should call the gardai because if anyone else reports it they'll be knocking on his door.
    call the council and get them to trim it

ganmo wrote: »
    If you go and cut your neighbours hedge he can and should call the gardai

If the gardai stand at his gate and can see that see the untrimmed hedge was obstructing the OPs view when exiting their property and therefore endangering themselves and other road users - What will they do ?

Advertisement