Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Dongle for France ???

Options
  • 09-07-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi folks will be heading to France again in 3 weeks.
    Just wondering what's the best way and provider to be able to get 4G whilst in France for two weeks.
    I'll have my phone but want something wireless for kids that will allow a few connections to it ie. A Dongle.
    Someone recommended a prepay wireless dongle that just works like a phone and has unlimited roaming..?????
    I'm not too tec savvy but I assume you buy a dongle put a sim in it and top it up..We will only need for two weeks each year..
    Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you have time to stop and shop, get yourself a cheap 4G phone in any supermarket (all phones sold in France are unlocked, should get one for 90€ or less), find a Free (not free!) shop or SIM-card dispenser (http://mobile.free.fr/couverture/borne_interactive.html) near where you are, and sign up for a 20€+10€ pre-paid SIM (the 10€ is a one-off charge for the number). That'll give you 100GB of 4G data in France, free calls/texts to just about anywhere in the world, and you can continue "roaming" when you get home to use up what's left of your month's subscription.

You'd obviously use the phone as a router for the children's devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

Hi elaverty, a wifi dongle is more a usb device that connects to a laptop etc and connects to internet that way, if you google 'MiFi' I think that is more what you are looking for, its a portable wireless broadband access point that you put a sim in and connect wirelessly to, MiFi is a brand name but they are all generally referred to as MiFi now even though different brands (or mobile wireless broadband access point), they are not that expensive and can be 3G or 4G. You can purchase them unlocked or locked to a particular network ( Three, Vodafone etc), personally I prefer the unlocked as you can swap networks if not happy and still use the device but everyones different. unlocked will probably need a little setting up depending on provider,locked the setup has been done by provider. I use a wifi dongle plugged into a wireless access point which does the exact same thing as a MiFi but I already had the wifi dongle lying around at home so only needed the ap my setup is only 3G. Google MiFi and you will get loads of info. I've swapped network providers a few times for different offers but I'm back to square one again now with the new data roaming changes and I'm not sure which sim provider I will go with myself now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Yes that's what I'm looking for..I'll call into Vodafone and other network shops and see what's the deal..Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Why would you not simply use a local (French) phone, as a wifi hotspot for whatever device you wish to use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement