Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips on getting bass to strike a fly

Options
  • 09-07-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is my first year swff for bass, been out a good few times already, caught one, didn't see that fish coming, but every other time iv been out there I've had bass follow the fly all the way in, sometimes from quiet a long distance to almost in to my feet only to turn at the last minute.
    Now I'm trying to figure out what i can do to get them to strike.
    Im not sure exactly what to do when they are following it, when I slow the fly down or stop it they just seem to slow down or stop themselves, and when I pull it again they come after it again until sometimes they are within inches of the fly but just will not strike,(my heart is in my mouth at this stage so probably panicking a little :) ).
    Could it be because:
    1. They are not fully convinced of the fly.
    2. They are not fully convinced of movement.
    3. They can see me when they get in so close.
    4. They are just messing with me because they are jerks
    Anyone have any tips or tricks i could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

are you using a lead core line? Also too slow a retrieve is the worst mistake, peel that fly back to you at speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

ardinn wrote: »
    are you using a lead core line? Also too slow a retrieve is the worst mistake, peel that fly back to you at speed
    Ok, ill try that, I do tend to instinctively slow down when i see them coming for the fly, for fear of pulling it away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

gw80 wrote: »
    Ok, ill try that, I do tend to instinctively slow down when i see them coming for the fly, for fear of pulling it away from them.

Any fish can swim faster than you'll ever retrieve. If you see them coming go as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Never fished for bass but, but pike etc, always speed up when you see them coming for the fly or lure, brings out a predatory strike.. as sea field said fish will swim faster than your retrieve.

Advertisement