Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

chrislad wrote: »
    Seemed to be a tough day out. I was in Dublin yesterday, and weather conditions seemed like they'd be ideal, but a person I'm following seems to be struggling, and he was doing really well in training, with 9:30/mile on the long runs, but seems to be hitting avg pace of 13:50 on the RTRT tracking.

No it was perfect marathon conditions.

Great fun pacing 3:30 today, brought home a good bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

noelearly wrote: »
    Freddie Sittuk got national title. O HANLON not a happy camper. Hard to blame him really last minute decision to allow Sittuk in.

Should have a irish passport to win a irish title. Stupid rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Anyone in mcgrattans or is that a stupid question ☺

Hope not too late but a bunch of us from the novices thread are here, out the back in smoking area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

That would rule out champions for 2009, 2010 and 2014 as well. This is not the first time it has happened. Ironic thing is the likes of Ciobanu and Sittuk are to be found at more Irish races than the likes of Pollock, Scullion etc.

The man trains regularly with an Irish club (as opposed to doing all his own training while here) helps with coaching and is involved in the Irish running scene. He should be entitled to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Rules are rules, and you don't get to change them on a whim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

Seen one of the 3:40 pacers go down like a sniper had taken him out with about 3 miles to go, didn't look good.
    Also seen someone getting wheeled on a stretcher after I'd finished and they had a cover over their face, feared the worst but haven't heard anything since so hopefully he/she is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

First marathon done! This feeling is incredible! :D

All I wanted was to finish in under 5 hours, and I think I got 4:58 :) think I got my PB for the half at about 2:15, so my pacing is definitely off.

I can work on it next year?? :P Now time for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Anyone got a link to the results?

Anyone got a link to the results?

http://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/race-results.php

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Well done to one and all today. Hope everyone is happy with their time and the legs are ok too.

The heat got to me so not my finest day at the office but can't really complain with a 17 minute PB.

Special thanks to all the volunteers for looking after us crazy souls undertaking what has to be described as a bit of a moronic endeavour!!!! It nearly goes without saying but thanks to all the supporters too, it makes a huge difference and I'm sure I'm not the only one who really appreciates it (that's a bit of an understatement too).

Hope everyone is taking and enjoying a well earned rest. Enjoy wearing the medal and t-shirt with pride 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Firstly, incredible run by Gary. Just immense.

Secondly, what an assertion. Thems the rules. The communication was truly woeful (going my what I am hearing).

Look at soccer, rugby etc. That's modern sport. It's the new reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Should have posted this earlier - a big thanks to the 3:20 pacers who gave me something to chase and hold onto for the last 5k.

Firstly, incredible run by Gary. Just immense.

Secondly, what an assertion. Thems the rules. The communication was truly woeful (going my what I am hearing).

Look at soccer, rugby etc. That's modern sport. It's the new reality.

Soccer and rugby is totally different and unrelated. Can he run for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Things you don't want to hear when you're in pain and the pacers are reeling you in....... "oh look Molly, look at the big pretty balloons"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

4 hours 49 minutes and 51 seconds later I finished. I’m delighted I finished it as it was my first marathon! The second half was super tough but the support along the way was great. I would have liked to engaged more with them but I was to focused on just getting through it, but it really helped so thank you all who came out.

When we first got into the Phoenix Park 6km in, we were running down a laneway by the back of the zoo to get onto the main road and a deer/stag came running down the lane in a panic. He tried to jump one of the runners but only got 3/4 of the way up. Hit the runner, the runner went down and the stag got turned around so started heading back towards the runners!!!!! I’m seriously surprised no one got seriously hurt the stag had massive antlers!

Mile be Mile Splits for Scullion and Ciobanu

murphm45 wrote: »
    The heat got to me so not my finest day at the office but can't really complain with a 17 minute PB.

Surely that was your finest day at the office?
    Well done by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Well done to all of you who took part today, five boxes of jellies handed out at the gate of RTÉ hopefully it helped you in some way. Enjoy your rest and celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I tried to edit the table but I dont know what I am doing so I deleted it. Details below if anyone has the energy.

Well done to everyone in the race, running that far was much tougher than I thought it would be.

First marathon, targeted 3.40 but did 3.55.26, happy enough given how I felt from fairly early on. I was carrying a calf injury so the running wasnt much fun but that was more than made up for by the support. It was truly awesome and I was amazed by how much energy I was able to absorb from them . Thanking them here seems totally inadequate but its all I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

The man trains regularly with an Irish club (as opposed to doing all his own training while here) helps with coaching and is involved in the Irish running scene. He should be entitled to compete.

Hardly a justification.

Is he normally resident here and wants to run for Ireland?

• Advertisement

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Hardly a justification.

Is he normally resident here and wants to run for Ireland?

Yes he met the rule of being Irish resident for more than 6 months of the year so he is here longer than he is out of the country. Had Thomas Fraizer entered and won would you have an issue?

He is an active club member Irish Marathon club championships. He has medalled at Dublin to All Ireland level across track, cross country and roads for years. The only issue with this one was the lack of communication of his eligibility from the AAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |echancrure|2:49:20|2:48:59|
    9558|diego_b|3:43:41|3:39:30|
    |robinph|2:49:44|2:49:59|
    |ISOP|4:18:55|4:15:00|
    3868|hot buttered scones|3:21:45|3:09:59|
    4514|davedanon|3:14:18|3:09:59|
    6501|Lazare|n/a|3:58:xx|3:58:08|
    3241|Johnny_Fontane|3:36:18|3:24:59|
    1678|withcheeseplease|2:59:58|2:59:57|2:58:35
    |Damo 2k9|n/a|3:59:59|
    |DC.|2:56:02|2:44:00| 2:42:29 |
    |Dexter50|4:14:19|4:10:00|
    4591|Wubble Wubble|3:49:01|3:29:59|
    7703|RedRunner|3:52:30|4:15:00|
    |apjb82|3:35:15|3:10:00|
    |CCR|2:59:52|3:29:59|
    |Peckham|2:58:27|3:44:59|
    |Krusty_Clown|2:30:01|2:34:59|
    |Derco|4:16:04|4:12:59|
    |Spirogyra|3:59:02|3:39:59
    10404|Unthought Known|4:16:44|3:44:59|
    3790|HibernianRunner|3:28:22|3:24:00|
    |Slow_Runner|3:42:26|3:33:xx|
    |Fiftyplus|3:29:45|3:29:44|
    1371|Murph_D|3:28:28|3:19:59|
    |ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:19:59|
    3364|TFBubendorfer|2:55:07|3:15:00|3:10:20
    |jaggiebunnet|3:32:39|3:24:59|
    |Jakey Rolling|3:27:15|3:29:59|
    |Eric the Eagle|3:26:25|3:19:59|
    |El Caballo|3:15:29|3:11:29|
    |Trampas|3:18:41|3:20:01|
    |boykev|4:00:56|3:29:30|
    1942|MisterDrak|3:07:24|3:14:00|
    |ciarraiabu1977|2:57:45|2:57:40
    1322|Singer|3:32:04|3:14:15
    |Doeshedare|n/a|3:39:59|
    2855|Martyboy48|3:18:00|3:30|
    |Brusna|n/a|3:27:59|
    |Hawkwing|3:58:30|4:59:59|
    1805|JohnDozer|3:59:13|3:39:59|
    |Jack Bracken|N/A|5:30:00|

Another brilliant day running in Dublin. 14min PB so I’m on Cloud9. Nice to see training pay off :)

Yes he met the rule of being Irish resident for more than 6 months of the year so he is here longer than he is out of the country. Had Thomas Fraizer entered and won would you have an issue?

He is an active club member Irish Marathon club championships. He has medalled at Dublin to All Ireland level across track, cross country and roads for years. The only issue with this one was the lack of communication of his eligibility from the AAI.

To be honest I have no problem with him running for raheny. But to be a national champion for a country, you should be available to represent that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Positives - The T-shirt is nice
    Negatives - Erm... everything else

A complete disaster for me today unfortunately. Went out just behind the 4:10 pacers but before the 10k split I already felt I'd struggle to hold the pace. I don't know what it was because I should have been relatively comfortable but for some reason it just didn't happen today. I let the green balloons bobble away in the distance just before KCR and my day quickly unravelled from there. I started feeling ill going through Terenure and the last eight miles were an absolute trainwreck. Haven't even checked my time yet but it was the worst of my 4 marathons to date.

You learn something new with every marathon you do but today was a harsh lesson. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Myself and my brother were on Fosters Avenue with a big box of Jaffa Cakes and Fruit Pastilles. Hope some of you got them. The Jaffas were popular, I had none left for the 5h group and some of them were asking me for some :o.
    Well done to everyone...from the elites to the backmarkers.
    I ran it myself in 2014 and would love to do it again in the future if I can sort out an ongoing knee injury.

To be honest I have no problem with him running for raheny. But to be a national champion for a country, you should be available to represent that country.

Sergiu won National Championships in 2009 and 2010 while still competing for Moldova so this is nothing new. These are ultimately a club championships (which is why there are team awards also)

Remember Steve Jones making a point on Dewi Griffin, Callum Hawkins and Andrew Buchart recently about grass roots athletes having a more positive impact on the sport than the likes of Mo Farah's medals as kids can see these athletes putting in the hard work night after night at there local clubs and I think same point applies here. Ultimately I think it does more good for someone like Freddie to win here than the likes of Pollock flying in for the weekend.

Derco wrote: »
    Positives - The T-shirt is nice
    Negatives - Erm... everything else

A complete disaster for me today unfortunately. Went out just behind the 4:10 pacers but before the 10k split I already felt I'd struggle to hold the pace. I don't know what it was because I should have been relatively comfortable but for some reason it just didn't happen today. I let the green balloons bobble away in the distance just before KCR and my day quickly unravelled from there. I started feeling ill going through Terenure and the last eight miles were an absolute trainwreck. Haven't even checked my time yet but it was the worst of my 4 marathons to date.

You learn something new with every marathon you do but today was a harsh lesson. Gutted.

Some days it doesn't click. You could of over trained, stressed over something or a bug that's coming on.

We all been there and you come back stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Back up. I never said I had an issue. Just asked a question. Thanks for replying.

So, looking forward to seeing him competing for Ireland and will cheer him on!

Minor point but why isn't Freddy named in the race programme, GOH and sergiu are?

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Minor point but why isn't Freddy named in the race programme, GOH and sergiu are?

Listed as part of the elite field
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/elite-athlete-list-2017/

Eligibility was confirmed late from what I hear hence the ommision from AAI lists and preview it seems.

Advertisement