Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Posters gone AWOL

• 09-07-2017 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Kess, Opr, Homerjay....

Who else is gone that used to be good and does anyone know if they'll be back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

It's due to the level of debate around here these days. Oh and the perceived 'bantzzz'. No surprise.

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    Kess, Opr, Homerjay....

Who else is gone that used to be good and does anyone know if they'll be back...

So who are you again ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's weird because this forum doesn't suffer from the same problems that are killing the rest of boards. The mods here are decent enough and let the conversation flow. They rarely jump in with their bolded text over silly little sh*t, killing the conversation.

I think many leave because of how petty some are. The Liverpool v United stuff is sad. Grown men shouldn't be acting the way some here do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The whole of Boards in general has had a huge drop off in posters.

Some poor posters seem to have left too so it's not all doom and gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People get older, get more important jobs, get married and have kids and just don't have the time for it anymore. I'd guess that those reasons have more to do with it than anything else.

Personally I don't post nearly as much as I did a few years ago for some of those reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    So who are you again ? :D

That's rich!

It's a bit of a shock when looking at old club threads seeing so many names who are all but lost to us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    Kess, Opr, Homerjay....

Some users do change their names on this too. So maybe a lot of the "good posters" from years gone by are still here under a different name. I'm not necessarily saying the posters above have done this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Didn't opr get banned for something trivial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

inb4 facekicker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Didn't opr get banned for something trivial?

I think he told a mod to go **** themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

What happened to Mr Alan? He was always value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Nuri Sahin was decent in the Liverpool thread. Think he fell foul elsewhere however. OPR was always consistently interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB Plarkin99 were great in the United thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's rich!

It's a bit of a shock when looking at old club threads seeing so many names who are all but lost to us

I agree. Remember that Mike guy, he was alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spoofer, Bill.

Some who are gone or very quiet indeed - Chucky the tree, amiable, melion, whatawaster (still pops in now and again), Levia, Handsome Bob, G.K, spockety, mayordenis, daithijjj (still the odd post), Lucky Lloyd (same), K-9 (same).

and MementoMori who on balance (sorry kess if you're reading this) was the biggest loss of the lot. Part of me can only fear the worst happened. As it does in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Homer still posts on boards just not in the soccer forum. Think he got fed up with it. The Utd Superthread can be incredibly hard work at times and Homer did find himself holding a minority view a lot if the time.

Closing old accounts and opening under new names makes it hard to keep track of who is who so maybe there are some still here that you are here of. Unfortunately that happens for bad or banned posters too and they just become a pest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Some users do change their names on this too. So maybe a lot of the "good posters" from years gone by are still here under a different name. I'm not necessarily saying the posters above have done this though.

I hate this. I might just about have an idea who a Man Utd fan is if they change their name, but not anyone else. I wish there was some indication of what their previous name was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Galvasean is missing a good while aswell from the Arsenal posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SM01 wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin was decent in the Liverpool thread. Think he fell foul elsewhere however. OPR was always consistently interesting.

Not for me, don't think he's really been missed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I hate this. I might just about have an idea who a Man Utd fan is if they change their name, but not anyone else. I wish there was some indication of what their previous name was.

IIRC if you click into a user's profile it shows their previous nicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not for me, don't think he's really been missed at all.

Nobody asked you to guess what the reaction would be if you stoopped posting.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

CHD and Archimedes/Tom_Brady

Lots of folks don't like debate as such. They just want to make a point and have everyone agree. When that stops they post less :) These sort of folk don't go AWOl though, they'll still throw in their tuppence but not as frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

People grow up for various reasons and time spent discussing something you have very little control over or indeed interest in any more gets prioritised elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Maybe it's because there are no interesting topics anymore. This and the humour thread are the only two on the first page that are not team talk/gossip/rumours.

Plus it is off season apart from loi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of folks don't like debate as such.

People do like debate, as long as it is honest debate. The problem is why bother debating when you know the other person isn't being honest, doesn't genuinely believe what they are typing and are only saying what it takes to get a rise.

Posters will come and go, but thread seems to be about good posters who showed that they did want to debate but eventually stopped bothering. It probably wasn't differing opinions that drove them away, it was trolling opinions.

Then you read the feedback thread and see people actually trying to justify trolling and the belief that intentionally winding people up is a "good" thing and just a bit of craic. Yeah, sure it is. :rolleyes: Cater to the lowest denominator and thats what you'll get.

..........but thread seems to be about good posters who showed that they did want to debate but eventually stopped bothering. ..............

I'm not on about them :)
    The ones I'm on about generally often chirp in with "how quiet it is" and utter such comments along with the trolling drivel and the stuff we all must agree with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Some poor posters seem to have left too so it's not all doom and gloom.
    Feck off, I'm still here:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

What happened Mike65?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What happened Mike65?

I think he retired his ass a few years ago, I recall some sort of "goodbye" post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What happened Mike65?
    He closed his account. But his final post was epic, iirc:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Unfortunately some of those posters are probably in a whole different type of forum now. Probably more so the ones that never closed their accounts, did not get a chance to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, just a reminder that it is against site terms of use to speculate on the identity of other users, this includes past accounts.
    If you have concerns that someone re-registered to evade a ban or other nefarious reasons then let the mods know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Oat23 wrote: »
    The mods here are decent enough and let the conversation flow. They rarely jump in with their bolded text over silly little sh*t, killing the conversation.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Maybe it's because there are no interesting topics anymore. This and the humour thread are the only two on the first page that are not team talk/gossip/rumours.

I spotted this thread here years ago when I was a mod and tired to do something about it by having the club threads cut back and tagged (tagged so you could see the main board without them if you want). There was no desire for it, and it died a death. Its sad to see just mega threads on the soccer board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

No need to fret lads, I'm back.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    No need to fret lads, I'm back.

"Where were you
    Where were you
    Where were you when you were sX&t
    "

Advertisement