Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid Formula Vs Powdered Formula

Options
  • 09-07-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Quick one folks. For fives weeks or so we've kept our six week old on liquid formula and things have been tipping along fine. We changed over to powdered formula full time on Monday. I'm not sure if it's connected but since Saturday our little girl has been very unhappy from late morning up until evening with lots of crying, a rumbling stomach and her poo has been smaller and fewer.

I know it may take some time for her to adjust to the powdered stuff but I'm wondering if some babies just don't take to it? We live in an area with a lot of limescale and while I know the Tommee Tippee machine has a great filter I'm wondering if the powdered formula is causing her discomfort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

With both my girls I ended up sticking with the liquid formula as the powdered formula seemed to give them terrible wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Quick one folks. For fives weeks or so we've kept our six week old on liquid formula and things have been tipping along fine. We changed over to powdered formula full time on Monday. I'm not sure if it's connected but since Saturday our little girl has been very unhappy from late morning up until evening with lots of crying, a rumbling stomach and her poo has been smaller and fewer.

I know it may take some time for her to adjust to the powdered stuff but I'm wondering if some babies just don't take to it? We live in an area with a lot of limescale and while I know the Tommee Tippee machine has a great filter I'm wondering if the powdered formula is causing her discomfort?

Those machines are not recommended by the Food Safety Authority as they don't heat the water to kill the bacteria that may be in formula powder.

I suggest making up powder bottles without using the machine for at least a week and see if it makes a difference. The correct way is make bottles as you go but that wasn't practical for us. So we boiled 1L of water and left it to sit for 30mins. By this stage apparently it's around 70 degrees. Then added water and powder to the bottles. Cooled quickly in a container of cold water and ice and refrigerated until needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Nickla wrote: »
    With both my girls I ended up sticking with the liquid formula as the powdered formula seemed to give them terrible wind.

Thanks Nickla, I suspect that's what's happening in our case. Lots of stomach noise but little farts/poo at the moment.

Those machines are not recommended by the Food Safety Authority as they don't heat the water to kill the bacteria that may be in formula powder.

I suggest making up powder bottles without using the machine for at least a week and see if it makes a difference. The correct way is make bottles as you go but that wasn't practical for us. So we boiled 1L of water and left it to sit for 30mins. By this stage apparently it's around 70 degrees. Then added water and powder to the bottles. Cooled quickly in a container of cold water and ice and refrigerated until needed.

I think to be honest, as expensive as it is, we may just stick with the liquid stuff. Her six week check-up is on Tuesday so will see what the doctor has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

My baba definitely prefers the liquid formula. She takes powdered fine, but guzzles the liquid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Might be worth considering if she has a milk cow milk protein allergy. My little girl does and she can tolerate liquid aptimil but can't take the powered stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yes they do. They blast the powder with a shot of hot water to kill bacteria.

The food safety authority's non-recommendation is due to "insufficient data"

Changing your baby's feed can lead to different reactions. It doesn't mean there's anything sinister going on, just the new type of feed doesn't suit her, or needs a little time to settle in.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mine could never stomach the powdered stuff. I was breastfeeding mainly anyway but the bedtime bottle was a formula one and we just stuck to the ready-made one as it seemed gentler on his tummy.

Even different brands made a difference. And every baby is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yes they do. They blast the powder with a shot of hot water to kill bacteria.

The food safety authority's non-recommendation is due to "insufficient data"

Changing your baby's feed can lead to different reactions. It doesn't mean there's anything sinister going on, just the new type of feed doesn't suit her, or needs a little time to settle in.

http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Statement_on_formula_preparation_machines_Feb%202016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

My Public Health Nurse told us that the instant (liquid) formula contains a preservative that also has a laxative effect. She advised us to change from instant to powdered milk (we had bought a few boxes of the teeny bottles when leaving the hospital).
    Perhaps you could gradually reduce your use of instant so it's not such a shock to babies system.....
    also, I spotted an image on Facebook of the inside of a Tommy Tippee machine.... full of black mould despite being cleaned regularly.... might be something to be aware of.
    The instant milk is really handy when you are out and about but definitely not a cost effective plan to use it long term for all feeds.
    Hopefully your little one feels better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Those machines should be banned, here's a link to mould in them. Just stick to the premade and slowly take babs off and onto powdered and see how they are. Try making the bottles without the perfect prep and see if that helps. I wouldn't trust or use one.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39278690

pc7 wrote: »
    Those machines should be banned, here's a link to mould in them. Just stick to the premade and slowly take babs off and onto powdered and see how they are. Try making the bottles without the perfect prep and see if that helps. I wouldn't trust or use one.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39278690

Well I've gone back to using the ready made liquid formula but I don't think it was confirmed to be mould in those machines. That's what I'd suspect too if I saw it but the company seemed to think it was a carbon build-up which is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well I've gone back to using the ready made liquid formula but I don't think it was confirmed to be mould in those machines. That's what I'd suspect too if I saw it but the company seemed to think it was a carbon build-up which is possible.

It's a 2 year old story though with no clarity on what it actually was.

We have one which my sister used after me. There's no hint of mould on it. We kept the filter in date and filled it with water from the kettle. No issues

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It's a 2 year old story though with no clarity on what it actually was.

This is from 2017, I was following it on their Facebook page, post after post was showing machines that were mouldy. People using correct filters and cleaning correctly were having issues. Its up to you of course but the company will do all it can to hide issues, especially when hse and nhs both recommend they aren't used for the hot shot reason. It's like tobacco or alcohol companies saying drink and smoke it'll be grand.

pc7 wrote: »
    This is from 2017, I was following it on their Facebook page, post after post was showing machines that were mouldy. People using correct filters and cleaning correctly were having issues. Its up to you of course but the company will do all it can to hide issues, especially when hse and nhs both recommend they aren't used for the hot shot reason. It's like tobacco or alcohol companies saying drink and smoke it'll be grand.

Whoops, you're right. I saw it as 2015 for some odd reason. I hear what you're saying and as it's only surfaced this year that changes things. I had thought it was a 2 year old story with no followup, hence nothing wrong having happened in the first place, so it's very much so in the companies corner now to refute the evidence.

As said, I've gone back to pre-made liquid formula...... she poops more with it :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Been using the Tommy Tippee machine for six months now to feed twins and it's been a lifesaver. The "hot shot" is much hotter than what you'd get from the kettle after leaving it cool for 30 minutes.

Advertisement