Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warped back wheel on MTB????

Options
  • 09-07-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I think I've done something to my back wheel. Its not loose and nothing is grinding or rubbing - the wheel itself seems to be warped. All the spokes seem ok. It looks like the wheel is slightly rugby ball shaped/eliptical as opposed to round. Any ideas what is wrong? Or how it can be fixed? I'll try to upload a video.

Edited - it won't let me upload the video from my phone or laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I think I've done something to my back wheel. Its not loose and nothing is grinding or rubbing - the wheel itself seems to be warped. All the spokes seem ok. It looks like the wheel is slightly rugby ball shaped/eliptical as opposed to round. Any ideas what is wrong? Or how it can be fixed? I'll try to upload a video.

Sounds on the face of it like it is out of true. Probably best bringing it in to your local shop (ideally an actual bike shop, not just Halfords, as truing can be a finicky task), and asking them to true it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

OP, are you sure it's the wheel and not the tyre?

I know it sounds silly, but with bigger tyres on MTB's, sometimes people think the wheel is a bit warped when in fact the tyre may by slightly misshapen.

Check the video below for some tips, particularly for your problem, at the 1:15 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

If ever a person needs to join a club its you.Every other day youre firing up questions and queries that could be so easily sorted amongst clubmates!!! Distance diagnosis takes longer and will never be be as good as hands on eyeballing!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

QueenMTBee wrote: »

If the tyre has a tube in it and you're using tubeless rims, there's so little space for the tube that the tyre doesn't seat straight. Not really a problem, you could deflate and try seat it better, or inflate to 60 psi and it might seat itself with a popping sound (then drop to normal pressure).

Advertisement