Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving department during training contract

• 09-07-2017 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experience moving department during their training contract or know if its possible to do? I've realised that I don't find tax particularily interesting (especially researching legislation) and was thinking I'd be more suited to audit. I got my exam results on Friday and got over 80 in each of my CAP1s and am hoping that that might help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Milstone123

haro124 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience moving department during their training contract or know if its possible to do? I've realised that I don't find tax particularily interesting (especially researching legislation) and was thinking I'd be more suited to audit. I got my exam results on Friday and got over 80 in each of my CAP1s and am hoping that that might help.

My best advice on this one would be to get as much advice as possible before you make any moves. Audit is no cup of tea either, from what I've seen tax trainees generally have nicer hours and working conditions (though this is all relative of course) so you could end up disliking it too. On the flip side I've seen audit trainees have "easy" busy seasons (in the very rare exception)

Speak to people you can trust, and get a range of viewpoints - might be helpful to speak to someone who did audit then transferred to tax? I'm sure there are some in your department.

If you still want to move then start by speaking to the CA/ACCA and asking how your audit days will be impacted by spending your first year in tax (it may not be as simple as a department transfer for your qualification).

Then I'd recommend getting in contact with a audit partner/director/people lead - speak to people at your level in audit and find out who would be a good trustworthy contact. Remember you're at a point in your career where you're making contacts you'll maintain for years to come, try to handle this in a way that you don't offend anyone. I'ts completely fair to want to move departments if you feel tax doesn't suit you but there is no need to burn bridges while doing so.

If you're going to make the move this year then maybe try to get it sorted before the end of the summer, almost all audit staffing for busy season will be booked by the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

My best advice on this one would be to get as much advice as possible before you make any moves. Audit is no cup of tea either, from what I've seen tax trainees generally have nicer hours and working conditions (though this is all relative of course) so you could end up disliking it too. On the flip side I've seen audit trainees have "easy" busy seasons (in the very rare exception)

Speak to people you can trust, and get a range of viewpoints - might be helpful to speak to someone who did audit then transferred to tax? I'm sure there are some in your department.

If you still want to move then start by speaking to the CA/ACCA and asking how your audit days will be impacted by spending your first year in tax (it may not be as simple as a department transfer for your qualification).

Then I'd recommend getting in contact with a audit partner/director/people lead - speak to people at your level in audit and find out who would be a good trustworthy contact. Remember you're at a point in your career where you're making contacts you'll maintain for years to come, try to handle this in a way that you don't offend anyone. I'ts completely fair to want to move departments if you feel tax doesn't suit you but there is no need to burn bridges while doing so.

If you're going to make the move this year then maybe try to get it sorted before the end of the summer, almost all audit staffing for busy season will be booked by the end of the summer.

Thanks for your advice! Lots to think about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Milstone123

haro124 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice! Lots to think about

No problem, congrats on the exam results and send me a mail if you want anything more.

Advertisement