Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting a commercial site to residential

Options
  • 09-07-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

hope this is correct forum, apols if not

I became the owner of a single small retail commercial property in Dublin 2 years ago. It was formerly residential (small doublefronted 100 year old cottage with an extension to rear) but was changed over to a commercial entity back in the early 2000's. It is located in an urbun street, not an industrial area.
    I purchased & refurbed it, tried to run a coffee shop from it but the footfall is not what we had hoped for and it's just not viable. Rates paid up to date etc.
    I would at this point like to re-instate it to residential use and sell it either as-is or redevelop. I'm finding it hard to pick up concrete info on this subject googling... amongst my friends/family nobody has much experience at this.

My guess is I have to apply for planning permission for change of use with the local CC?

but I am also wondering are there further ramifications financially speaking out of such a situation...I'm sure the building is worth more as a house (or maybe even as a site) than a commercial entity

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Reading https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/no-planning-needed-to-change-commercial-buildings-to-housing-1.3004565
    However, the owner of a building previously used as a shop or offices must have planning permission to turn their property into housing.
    Where is it located?
    In Dublin the average development contribution for a 1,000sq m property is about €8,000 to €9,000

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Since you already have commercial use, I wonder if you could use as an Airbnb property without planning? since according to Dublin City Council in order to use a residential apartment for short term letting a change of use from residential to commercial use is required. That's if the property is in a suitable location for Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

TSQ wrote: »
    Since you already have commercial use, I wonder if you could use as an Airbnb property without planning? since according to Dublin City Council in order to use a residential apartment for short term letting a change of use from residential to commercial use is required. That's if the property is in a suitable location for Airbnb.

thanks, I don't know but thats an interesting idea
    the area is very suitable, residential and decent transport possibilities
    however for me it's cash out time as opposed to retaining it
    I think I want to either a) sell as a site now or b) redevelop & sell it myself as a turnkey home...not sure I have the energy anymore for b) but let's see :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

TSQ wrote: »

Aren't there several classes of commercial use? I would be surprised if retail and holiday accommodation came under the same class.

Advertisement