Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2017

Options
  • 10-07-2017 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hey Folks, Just to let you know that on-line registration is now open for the Reservoir Dog Sportive 2017. It will be hosted again this year at Russborough House near Blessington, taking place on 3rd September. As with previous years the tough Reservoir Dog 125km course follows the same challenging route around the major reservoirs of Wicklow and South Dublin and has some serious climbs along the way including the infamous Cunard climb. And as with previous years we have kept the entry fee to €30 (C.I. members) +€5 for non-C.I.! The Reservoir Pup 65 km route gets a makeover this year and has grown from 50km with some new climbs thrown in for good measure. This event has proven very popular for previous editions and numbers of riders doubled in 2016. Rider numbers are limited to 400 to ensure the best experience for all entrants. For more information see the link posted below. Early registration is recommended to secure a spot. Hope to see you there :)http://www.reservoircogs.ie/reservoir-dog-sportive/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

In, great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did this last year. Highly recommend this event, equal parts challenging and interesting lots of lesser known climbs in the mix.

Can't make it this year but expect to be back the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Also enjoyed it immensely last year. Good route/climbs, good food/water stops, good welcome as you return. Don't underestimate the immense pain that Lake Drive brings after 100Km and ~1750m of climbing, it really stung the legs at that stage last year. Will hopefully be in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Did this last year for my first taste of Wicklow and wouldn't mind doing it again this year. Starting a new job at start of August and don't know my shift pattern yet, but hopefully it will work out I can do this again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Best sportive in Ireland the last two years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was a good day in the saddle last yr, would do it again but not sure of my availabilty. Will it sell out early?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Booked in now, wouldn't miss this one. Definitely my favorite sportive last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Signed up for this last year but couldnt make it on the day. Defo doing it this year. Want that medal! Looking forward to cursing Lake Drive!

Will there be beer again?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

siochain wrote: »
    Best sportive in Ireland the last two years
    Thank you... we are glad you enjoyed it so much!!

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Was a good day in the saddle last yr, would do it again but not sure of my availabilty. Will it sell out early?

It's hard to say but seeing as the numbers are limited there is a fair chance that it will sell out - so book online early once you know your availability. Hope you can make it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Did this last year and nice event marred for us by a nasty injury to one or our riders. He's back on the bike now thank God though. ;

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Will there be beer again?

There will indeed be a cold beer waiting for riders who complete The Reservoir Dog or Pup event - which, lets face it, will be well earned. Other cold and hot non-alcoholic bevereges will also be available ;) . In addition we provide a full BBQ at the finish. The burger washed down by a beer on the front lawn of Russborough went down a treat last year! We also cater for a range of dietry requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭PhillySteak9

How does this compare to the Wicklow 100? I did that early this year and found it tough but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

How does this compare to the Wicklow 100? I did that early this year and found it tough but doable.

Its harder than the W100. The W100 shows as 1200m climbing over the 100km, whereas this is 1900m over 125km.

Now you'll have had an extra 3 months in the legs so you should be able to do it, just a matter of pacing it. Most of the climbing is in the first half so just don't hammer it up the early climbs when you're fresh.

It's a great route and there's beer n burgers at the end. Superb event and great way to end the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Harder than the WW100 for sure, not quite as difficult as WW200 but not to be taken lightly as it's a good chunk of climbing in 125Km. The weather last year was favourable so made for a great day out. Food stop a few Km out from Wicklow Gap was most welcome and then were water stops along the way to ensure you've enough H2O to get you home.

This and the Orwell Randonee are by far the best sportives in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭PhillySteak9

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure whether to do the 100 or 65. Leaning towards the 65.

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure whether to do the 100 or 65. Leaning towards the 65.
    The 125km Reservoir Dog route is tough but very do-able if you have been training for hills in the run up to it and your bike has a suitable gearing set-up. Map My Ride gives it 2001 metres of ascent over 125km. But the 65km Reservoir Pup route is new for this year and we have stolen a couple of the climbs from the Dog. It is a good challenge in it's own right with 815metres of ascent over 65km. I rode the 65km Pup route a few weeks back and yeah, there is a nice bit of climbing to be done. Whatever you choose to book you can always decide on the day which route suits you best depending on how your training goes and how you feel then.

So the medals were a big hit with riders last year. We have 400 medals on order. The only change this year is the updated 65km Reservoir Pup route on the ribbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Can anyone compare this to the rebel tour ? Cheers

Our local Blessington brewery, Manor Brewing Co. is once again sponsoring the beer at this years Sportive, with every finisher of the Reservoir Dog receiving a cold bottle of MONT Lager as they cross the finish line. After all 'great beer tastes better when its earned', right? Mont Beer will also be given as prizes. To be in with a chance of winning a case of MONT Beer or a 5L mini-keg just enter on-line at ; http://www.reservoircogs.ie/registration/,
    Spot prizes of 4-packs of beer, Mont T-shirts, Free 'Errol Mont Club' subscription etc. will be given as prizes on the day to some lucky riders. And this year Manor Brewing will even have some of their new 'limited edition' craft beers available to try.

For those that don't know, the Manor Brewery is based at The Manor itself, in Manor Kilbride, and has the distinction of being 'Ireland's highest brewery' right there on the Sally Gap Road about 12km along the 'Reservoir Dog Sportive' route. Most of us have ridden past on our way to or from the Sally Gap without even knowing it was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

New job shift pattern works out well for once and I'm in, just registered. Hope the weather is as good as last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Corker1 wrote: »
    So the medals were a big hit with riders last year. We have 400 medals on order. The only change this year is the updated 65km Reservoir Pup route on the ribbon.

Yes loved the medal, would it be possible to get the year inscribed this year?

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Yes loved the medal, would it be possible to get the year inscribed this year?

Thanks Arthurdaly. The medals have been delivered from the manufacturer. All 400 of them. Sorry but it's too late to inscribe the year. Though the ribbon design has changed from last year to set them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

Are there still open places for this cycle?

Lotsafish wrote: »
    Are there still open places for this cycle?

There are places still available. Places are filling briskly but if / when the event fills up we will let people know on our website and facebook and I will post an update on this thread too. http://www.reservoircogs.ie/reservoir-dog-sportive/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

What time do you need to be there beforehand, thanks

thelawman wrote: »
    What time do you need to be there beforehand, thanks

Registration opens at 7.30 am on Sunday for the 125k route but any time before 8.30am is good. Roll out is at 9am sharp. The 65k route rolls out at 9.30am so sign on between 8.30am and 9am ideally. Tea/coffee and cake will be available on the morning to give riders a boost before the off. See you there on Sunday Lawman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Any chance of being able to register on the morning, I won't know till late Saturday whether I can go or not?

Advertisement