Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Enjoyed the spin first time to take part didnt look much on paper but it was tough and felt a lot tougher than tour of Waterford two weeks ago.
    Chapeau to Reservoir cogs and all involved couldn't fault it...Thanks for giving up your time
    Beer and burger at end made it all worthwhile..
    Where be the pictures to see my suffering!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Thanks to every for supporting this event. Corker1 is the one who usually posts up here but as also someone involved with it it makes such a difference to everyone in the club to see the support that we get for events like this. Feedback has been brilliant and spirits out on the road, even in the early damp, were amazingly high. Well done to all who finished be it the dog or the pup. Either way it was a hard day in the saddle.

There are some pictures from the finish up here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/blessingtontidytowns/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1399214323510073

Also club member Derek was the on road photographer and his will follow soon.

From this parish I didn't get to talk to Wishbone Ash but had a chat with him at the start of this 2 years ago I think. Was chatting for a bit to (i think) Merican Pro (swords kit?) at the finish as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Great event, again for me the best sportive I've done in Ireland this year.
    Its great value for money for a start, a nice bit of food before and a lovely burger and beer afterwards in a really nice setting and a really good food stop perfectly located at about half way covers all the bases in that regard.
    I'd say the signs at the start of climbs is a great idea, but its so blindly obvious and yet I cant think of a sportive doing it other than this! It adds a bit of the continental feel to it, and psychologially I love them. so hats off for adding that this year!
    Weather was very poor til Roundwood, I was cycling right at the front til Cunard and then was just a bit slower than those lads around me so struggled up that on my own and found it tough all the way to the military road, and lonely :P
    Was alone then til just before the gap when a bray wheeler went past me, I caught back onto his wheel on some of the hills on Luggala and we cycled all the way to the finish together after that.
    I felt much better in the second half and got up Glenmacnass very well, and as I live in Valleymount, lakeshore drive doesnt fill me with the dread it does others! But its one hell of a tough day, for me its tougher than the W200 given the makeup of the course, time of year etc.
    Enjoyed it immensely and finished in 4.44, so happy with that. 20 mins faster than last year in worse conditions, cant complain.
    It was a tough day descending especially off Luggala so glad to not have seen any reports of falls.
    Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
    Hats off to the club, you have a brilliant sportive and its a credit to you.

Enjoyed the spin first time to take part didnt look much on paper but it was tough and felt a lot tougher than tour of Waterford two weeks ago.
    Chapeau to Reservoir cogs and all involved couldn't fault it...Thanks for giving up your time
    Beer and burger at end made it all worthwhile..
    Where be the pictures to see my suffering!

Did you have the paper upside down?!! :p

terrydel wrote: »
    Did you have the paper upside down?!! :p

:D I wont make the same mistake next year!:eek:

Was under 5 myself so wasnt too far from you Terrydel

• Advertisement

:D I wont make the same mistake next year!:eek:

Was under 5 myself so wasnt too far from you Terrydel

Good man yourself. Averaging 25kmph or above on that course and in that weather is great going imho.
    For me the struggle up cunard after the first km or so and onto the military round is where I really lost time. Ah well!

Front half i was going well....
    I was blowing feathers after Ballysmutton bridge.......

Front half i was going well....
    I was blowing feathers after Ballysmutton bridge.......

Im the opposite, tend to always get stronger in the second half of these things. Something to work on I guess!

Ah its not like me at all I usually finish strong but Ive started a new strength and conditioning program during the week so I think that took its toll.
    Ecoli scare in Sandycove the weekend so I didnt get to have my ice bath either.

:D oh and the DOG ate my homework!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

We must've all been near each other. Managed it in 4:53 moving time, 5:03 total. Took me over 6:01 in 2015 so well chuffed. I nearly feel like a proper cyclist now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166331979/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1504457348

Great but hard day out, nothing like those hills in Meath. Stuck to my plan of riding below my ftp and that worked out very well

Scenery when you could see it was beautiful

Finished in 5:39 so for a 46 year old 88kg asthmatic it's not too bad ;-)

Burger and beer was so good at the end, well done to the cogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

gmacww wrote: »
    From this parish I didn't get to talk to Wishbone Ash but had a chat with him at the start of this 2 years ago I think. Was chatting for a bit to (i think) Merican Pro (swords kit?) at the finish as well.

5ocr6f.jpg

WA headed home (not on the bike!!) to see the match straight after the finish but I enjoyed the chat, burger and beer and still saw the second half. Looking forward to seeing more photos and to the 2018 Dog of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

WA headed home (not on the bike!!) to see the match straight after the finish but I enjoyed the chat, burger and beer and still saw the second half. Looking forward to seeing more photos and to the 2018 Dog of course.

Ah very good. That's me in the jeans and stripey t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

had signed up to the 125, but wussed out with the prospect of rain and having had a few weeks off

did the 65 with my dad, the furthest he had done so all good in the end..and the medal, which is awesome!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    We must've all been near each other. Managed it in 4:53 moving time, 5:03 total. Took me over 6:01 in 2015 so well chuffed. I nearly feel like a proper cyclist now!!

I must of been chatting to you Daroxtar...Finished the lakes with 3 other lads (2 caught up with myself and the other lad).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I must of been chatting to you Daroxtar...Finished the lakes with 3 other lads (2 caught up with myself and the other lad).

Possibly, I was in the green and red Clonard kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Some pictures.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums
    Full res image on request

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great pictures Derek, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mgbgt0_0 wrote: »
    Some pictures.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums
    Full res image on request
    Loving the ones from the top of glenmacnass, so will be on looking for the higher res this evening when I'm not trying to sneak a look at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Loving the ones from the top of glenmacnass, so will be on looking for the higher res this evening when I'm not trying to sneak a look at work!

Great photos as always Derek. The conditions on Sunday can't have made it easy.

Downloading the photos from Flickr in the original resolution should be possible when you click on the download symbol (or maybe that's because I have a Flickr account??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Well Folks, what can I say. Fair play to all of you who came out to support this years Reservoir Dog Sportive. It really was an act of faith after the storm on Saturday into Sunday morning. Luckily the worst of the bad weather had passes through by roll out time, but I hear conditions were still a bit dodgy up in the mountains. It's a hard enough route in good conditions - so major Kudos. Nice to meet and chat with some of you. And great to see a few 'regulars'. It was a pleasure to host such a sound group of cyclists. And thanks on behalf of the Reservoir Cogs for all of the positive comments and feedback on this forum. It makes it all worthwhile to know you guys had such an 'enjoyable' day. Here are a few more shots taken around Russborough by my 15 year old son. https://www.flickr.com/photos/158847597@N06/albums

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Great photos as always Derek. The conditions on Sunday can't have made it easy.

Downloading the photos from Flickr in the original resolution should be possible when you click on the download symbol (or maybe that's because I have a Flickr account??)

Pictures on Flickr are reduced in size
    Full size on request

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Great photo's and thanks Derek.

You caught my saddle ornament/light/b*ll bag lovely at the the of Glenmacnass

Fair play to the Cogs, really good event

Advertisement