Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Agree with the above last few posts. The only thing about JAF is that his questions can go on for ages and overshadow the interviewee as he struggles to get the words out and often asks the same question with different words several times in the one question. He could really benefit from a few lessons in interview technique. Really nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Richie Porte's wife is a fan of Kirby....... Not.!

https://twitter.com/gemmanicoleb/status/884120796645470209

WOW .... the anger.... :eek:
    over a fcuking tpyo !!! Cop on girl! :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can't believe I missed this, a release, a place to vent! Thank God!

Can't stand him as a commentator. I'm sure he is perfectly lovely as a breathing human being, but as a commentator he is about as useful as my mother.

He also repeats the same rubbish over and over.

Passing a guy holding a flare? "They really should be banned..."

Passing some idiots running with the riders? "We don't want to see that..."

Passing a coast line? "It's a phenomenon called vectoring..."

His attempts at mind reading are also infuriating. I'm sorry Carlton, you don't know what Froome is thinking, why Porte is smiling or why Valverde is looking back. So stop making stuff up and letting it pass your lips. The "Froome will surely dedicate his win to Porte" was a perfect example.

Rob Hatch far superior.

I said to some friends yesterday that I'm actually partial to Lance's Facebook Live streams, he would be a great commentator (loves to be the one talking). Actually knows what's going on in the bunch too, although I had to laugh when he was asked seriously about rest day strategies and answered with ride intensity and not plasma volume.

He hates anyone who doesn't toe the Sky line too. I remember after one horribly boring and predictable stage last year when Sky rode everyone off their wheels, people took to social media commenting on how dull the race had become. Kirby tweeted that 'such people' should go and find another sport to follow, that they are not real fans, or something to that effect. Needless to say the backlash was pretty big, and he ended up deleting it.

The guy has no redeeming features, and I would say that extends to how he is as a living, breathing, human being.

It's sound down for me when he comes on now.

The lad who was on before him (his name escapes me) was far superior. He had some personal issues to resolve, so stepped away for a bit. The assumption was, as soon as he returned, Kirby would be kicked to the kerb (pun intended) and he'd be reinstated. Not to be though. That was pretty sh*tty by Eurosport too, to have so little patience with a guy who has some issues (acknowledged there may be more to that story) to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I think that was David Harmon

beans wrote: »
    I think that was David Harmon

yep, that's him. I could remember his twitter handle, but not his name!

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    yep, that's him. I could remember his twitter handle, but not his name!

What happened Harmon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Actually much as it pains me to say it Lance is knocking it out of the park.

I did see a link to his podcast earlier during the tour, can't find it now, where is it? Is it daily?

As for Fletcha, might be that my ear has been well trained over the years working with people all over the world but I don't think he's the hardest to understand. Not being flippant (and it may be an exceptional example) but one of the Healy-Raes was just on Pat Kenny and I have trouble understanding him much more, despite being friends with someone who'd be near enough a neighbour of his.

Haven't seen Magnus in a while, what's he at, the smaller races?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you are a fan of BBC comedies you might get this reference: Carlton with his 'own narrative' of the races... is the Count Arthur Strong of cycling commentary???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

I said to some friends yesterday that I'm actually partial to Lance's Facebook Live streams, he would be a great commentator (loves to be the one talking). Actually knows what's going on in the bunch too, although I had to laugh when he was asked seriously about rest day strategies and answered with ride intensity and not plasma volume.

I've been listening to his podcasts for a few months now and they've mostly been interviews and not so much about racing so i was quite suprised to see that he still knew all the cyclists names and teams when he started his tour podcasts.
    I would have thought that watching cycling would have been the last thing he's be doing since he was banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I can't stand the accents to be honest. All the french pronunciation then back to an English accent then back to french again and I can't even understand what they are trying to say in the french pronunciation.

It's not just Kirby though who does this, most commentators on Eurosport do it and it does my head in. They come across smug and it's so consistent saying random riders names while practicing pronunciation :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

greenspurs wrote: »
    What happened Harmon ?
    You're unlikely to get an answer to that question on a moderated forum.

Lumen wrote: »

Yes, i googled it....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Edit: yes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Brian? wrote: »
    Why? He was quite open that he had mental health issues, wasn't he?

I think they're talking about the first result when you Google him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I think they're talking about the first result when you Google him.

I'm quite shocked. I withdraw my earlier post!!!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

oh hell, I didn't know that stuff.

Anyway, moving swiftly along.....

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Definitely prefer Rob Hatch but in fairness to Carlton Kirby he does his best to make every stage seem exciting.

Had a bit of a laugh the other day when Lilian Calmejane started channeling his inner Thomas Vockler 2k from the finish. Cue Kirby laughing away to himself and talking about yer man licking an invisible ice-cream. Guess I'm easily pleased. The Sky love fest is a bit grating though, then again hardly unexpected from a British commentary team.

Just read this earlier and thought it quite interesting. Being a live commentator isn't as easy as you'd think. Long flat windless stages must be an f***ing nightmare for these guys.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/interview-life-on-tour-with-eurosport-commentator-carlton-kirby.html

10/13 on the Alan Partridge test ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

mcdonrob wrote: »
    I can understand how some find his obscure musings annoying but I must say I like him, if only for the "what'll he say next"

If are enjoying this thread then you'll probably like this...
    Who said it: Cycling commentator or Alan Partridge?

12/13... I'm almost ashamed that I know Carlton's style so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Agree with a lot of posts here, i used to really enjoy his commentary but recently his Froome biast in particluar really annoys me

I took to twitter last year to let him know there was other riders apart from Froome and Sky in the particular race ....well he was not best pleased and went on a bit of an attack :):) he was also backed up by about 200 keyboard warriors which was quite amusing for a couple of hours

I do like his clear passion when his emotions run away a bit and his commentary at the stage finish can be very good

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Apparently Hatch will be taking over commentary for today's stage with 43km to go. You all know where to fast forward to tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Apparently Hatch will be taking over commentary for today's stage with 43km to go. You all know where to fast forward to tonight.

Is that new? I thought Carlton always got the sprints?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I thought Carlton always got the sprints?

"I'm going to raise my voice REALLY LOUD NOW because I've NO IDEA what's going on and maybe that will disguise it".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I can confirm, I've just watched a Carlton-less sprint. #spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about my commuter bike:(

Love the drawing clips....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theres not enough 'engaging of the climb' or 'people in the house' on sprint finishes so theres no need for him really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Knowing how the stage was due to pan out, Kirby probably lapsed into a coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Knowing how the stage was due to pan out, Kirby probably lapsed into a coma.

Nah, he'd be glued to it waiting for the seemingly inevitable Boasson Hagen victory he's been predicting for every other stage and race. Must be one of the worst unrequited man crushes of all time...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Must be one of the worst unrequited man crushes of all time...

Eddie Bos? Or Louis Mentjies? Or Si Clarke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

retalivity wrote: »
    Eddie Bos? Or Louis Mentjies? Or Si Clarke?

sebastian reichenbach

BTW Mentjies has been dumped when he quit Dim Data (MTN - Qhubeka )

Of all the stuff Kirby says that is rubbish ...saying someone is 'in the house' must be the stupidest ....they are out doors cycling

But I guess that just Kirby trying to be cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First time I stick on the eurosport commentary and I believe Carlton Kirby is going on about how great Froome can recover and how strong he is in the face of adversity and whatnot.

I think the other GC riders have had it a lot harder than him personally.

Advertisement