Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I remember Emily Pankhurst suffraging up the Galibier many moons ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I was deep in suffrage listening to him in the highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I reckon he loved the suffragettes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

xxyyzz wrote: »
    "G" makes a break, Carlton creams his pants

Things must be fairly messy at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I reckon he loved the suffragettes

Nah. One of the suffragettes threw themselves in front of King's horse at the Derby, to highlight their cause.

The media are all too keen to ignore the absurd in cycling; they don't like protestors highlighting what hypocrites they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pierre "Roger" Letour..... his name is pierre Letour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Nah. One of the suffragettes threw themselves in front of King's horse at the Derby, to highlight their cause.

Could that guy who threw the punch at Froome be considered a 'suffragette'? :D

He was trying to highlight the double standards in doping but instead of throwing himself under Froome's bike, had second thoughts and landed a left hook!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

neris wrote: »
    Pierre "Roger" Letour..... his name is pierre Letour

Latour.

summer_1.jpg?w=786&h=524

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Could that guy who threw the punch at Froome be considered a 'suffragette'? :D

He was trying to highlight the double standards in doping but instead of throwing himself under Froome's bike, had second thoughts and landed a left hook!

"Punch"? He gave him a pat on the shoulder in an attempt at a push from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

When will people say enough!

A track rider winning 2 mountain stages !!.... Unbelievable.

G ..............

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I wish Eurosport could persuade David Harmon to return to commentary at their station. By far the best commentator in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

hinault wrote: »
    I wish Eurosport could persuade David Harmon to return to commentary at their station. By far the best commentator in the sport.

lets not go there

1bryan wrote: »
    lets not go there

Why? He's an excellent commentator in my view, and if one watches an entire stage of a race on TV I'd prefer to listen to Harmon than listen to Kirby.

hinault wrote: »
    Why? He's an excellent commentator in my view, and if one watches an entire stage of a race on TV I'd prefer to listen to Harmon than listen to Kirby.

a quick visit to google might help

I'll not go into it here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

greenspurs wrote: »
    When will people say enough!

A track rider winning 2 mountain stages !!.... Unbelievable.

G ..............

Being a track rider doesn't preclude you from being able to climb. It makes to an incredibly strong rider.
    I say this as someone who can't stand Sky, and froome, but Thomas is and always has been a strong rider who's lost a lot of weight since his track days, and has been developing himself as a gc contender for years now. Being a gc rider and a trackie aren't mutually exclusive. You also have to consider the system in the UK, it starts on track for almost everyone. And it does them no harm.

Sickened to see froome spin up yesterday post Sky train all the same. Thomas's gc abilities have progressed in a much more rational fashion than his.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I missed Kirby for Alpe d'Huez yesterday. I love his commentary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

nee wrote: »

Sickened to see froome spin up yesterday post Sky train all the same. Thomas's gc abilities have progressed in a much more rational fashion than his.

Did they though? 5 years of barely cracking the top 60 including some barely cracking the top 100 in GC followed by a big jump to top 20s?

Froome's middling top 60, top 50 to top 10 within 3 years was very similar to other GC winners jump in GC form.

What I would say, he has shown a pedigree of a top cyclists from an early stage, across a different type though.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I missed Kirby for Alpe d'Huez yesterday. I love his commentary.

haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    "Punch"? He gave him a pat on the shoulder in an attempt at a push from what I saw.

Same here, I thought it was a pat on the back, bloody commentators overreacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, I thought it was a pat on the back, bloody commentators overreacting.

That's what happened but I think he intended to push Froome sideways. The man was arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did they though? 5 years of barely cracking the top 60 including some barely cracking the top 100 in GC followed by a big jump to top 20s?

Froome's middling top 60, top 50 to top 10 within 3 years was very similar to other GC winners jump in GC form.

What I would say, he has shown a pedigree of a top cyclists from an early stage, across a different type though.

Thomas has been a class rider from his youth, never mind his junior days. He has had a steady progression in the sport, only concentrating on losing weight and becoming more of a recent GC rider in the last number of years and his results support this. He hasn't had freedom to race for results for the majority of his road career, he's only come into that recently enough, early career road results don't tell the whole story. But his current form isn't a shock, nor sudden, nor unexpected given his career so far IMO.

Anyway back on track -

Poor old "kirbs" and Smithy had a right old giving out about the 'behaviour' of fans on dHuez yesterday.... The bold French picking on Team Froomey/G ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

"Smithy" was giving Bardet a few digs on Twitter about the conduct of the french fans toward Sky, he is fast catching up with Kirby on my list of people who give me 'ire'

Even King Kelly is descending ;)

Nearly every sentence he says will start with a variation of :
    " And we can see ...."
    " We can see .... "
    " You can see..... "

Itv4, with their never ending ads ( Who the fcuk would buy a watch off WatchFinder!?!? ) beckons ....

cunavalos wrote: »
    "Smithy" was giving Bardet a few digs on Twitter about the conduct of the french fans toward Sky, he is fast catching up with Kirby on my list of people who give me 'ire'

Smith's voice puts me to sleep. Boring, doesn't do him justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

" And we can see ...."
    " We can see .... "
    " You can see..... "

Itv4, with their never ending ads ( Who the fcuk would buy a watch off WatchFinder!?!? ) beckons ....

I love the way Kelly still has his original accent and Irish style pronunciations but he just said there is a 5hit-cane near the finish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

...never ending ads ( Who the fcuk would buy a watch off WatchFinder!?!? ) beckons ....

....and did ye notice the dude in the Ad puts the front wheel on the wrong way round? Ha! :)

ITV4 is growing on me though..Millar I think gives some great insights. Lot of Ads alright though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

" And we can see ...."
    " We can see .... "
    " You can see..... "

Only so many ways you can say the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I don't think I can handle much more Kirby.. He was asked what's the difference between the alps and the Pyrenees. Apparently in the Pyrenees your never too far from a sandwich was his difference.. What absolute sh!te he talks, I thought I was going to learn something there.

• Advertisement

Brian Smith is a poor contributor to the commentary. Eurosport used to have Graham Jones doing some commentary and he is far better than Smith.

Nicholas Roche made some interesting contributions today.

Kirby is annoying to have to listen to.

Advertisement