Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Build - First Timer

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bit of a plunge in cryptocurrency so if the new stocks come in reasonably soon you might well be in a good spot - http://coinmarketcap.com/

With all of those GPUs that are used solely for mining and a good few smaller/solo likely to drop out if that dip continues the second hand market might be flooded too, which will help even more. Could mean a good number of 580 8GBs going for reasonable prices for those on 1050 TIs, 960s, still clinging in there on 750 TIs and 660s, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There are a few caveats when ordering the other parts.

Ryzen likes high memory speeds. A lot of programs and games will show good performance gains with high speeds. 3000-3600 is recommended but only the samsung b-die stuff will go to 3200+. I think they may have added support for more since though. Check what the board you order supports. Try find one with support for that corsair lpx stuff as its a good price for 3000mhz ddr4.

The boards will have some differences. Mainly the sound processor, how many sata ports, m.2 support, memory support and VRM's (capacity and cooling for higher power deliver to the cpu for overclocking)

2TB drives comes in 1 platter, 2 platter and 3 platter variants as well. Ideally you want single platter drives with 2 read heads. The more platters and read heads you have means more moving parts, higher noise and heat and higher failure rates. Trying to find out which ones are which is a pain in the arse though.

If you want to overclock the Ryzen to or near 4Ghz you will probably need a better cooler as well. Nothing crazy. Even something like a 212 evo should do the trick. A Noctua NH D14 if you want to go crazy. It's worth doing as it will improve your max frame rates in games that like high IPC over high core count which is most of them atm.

You can get a rough 10% boost from cpu overclock, another 10%+ from high memory speeds and around another 10% from a gpu overclock. 30% improved frame rates with all 3 overclocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Hi all, just resurrecting this thread again as I am planning to purchase within the next couple of weeks. I still have a bit of a dilemma though and it mostly revolves around the resolution I will be playing at.

I originally mentioned that I was targeting 1440p with high-ish FPS (Ryzen 5 with a GTX 1080). My thinking was that I could scale the res back as my hardware ages while still keeping the high frames. Further research tells me that displaying 1080p on a 1440p display is a no-no, meaning that if I were to target 1440p initially I would be 'stuck' in the high end bracket of PC gaming and would need to update my hardware accordingly. I am a newbie so my logic may be skewed here. :)

Alternatively, I could choose a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor (sitting two feet from the screen) and maybe couple it with the new Vega 56 card depending on reviews which should allow me to game at a more consistently high level for a longer amount of time while saving a few bob in the process.

What are your thoughts? Do you think I would regret not going for 1440p straight out of the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1440p 60hz and 1080p 144hz are equally as demanding, the latter actually more so in many cases as you need a very good CPU as well as GPU to drive the framerate as high as possible and make the most out of that monitor.

Ryzen 5 and a GTX1070/80 or the Vega equivalent will be fine for 1440p ultra for a considerable time without any upgrade needed. CPU is not that important on a 60hz monitor as long as it's an i5/Ryzen 5 or above.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've had no issue displaying 1080p on a 1440p display for what it's worth. Can barely tell the difference if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've had no issue displaying 1080p on a 1440p display for what it's worth. Can barely tell the difference if I'm honest.

Is that on a 27"?

Some of the prices make me weep!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Is that on a 27"?

Some of the prices make me weep!

Yeah, one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2716DG-27-Inch-LED-Gaming/dp/B016QR3NR2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502191423&sr=8-3&keywords=dell+g-sync

I got mine B-Grade from Overclockers so didn't pay full whack.

I was actually wondering where to buy the monitor so OC seems like the place. Amazon don't seem to post to Ireland on a few of the monitors I'd be interested in.

I think I'll go 1440p then. TerrorFirmer I never knew the lower res was just as intensive @144hz so that basically makes up my mind.

Posting on the phone at the minute so I'll throw up a final parts list later on to see what yee think before signing my life away!

So here is my proposed build. I will double-check the RAM compatibility beforehand as I know there are a few issues at the moment. I'll add another €200 for peripherals and an OS. This will not be overclocked to begin with.

What do you think? Price will vary slightly depending on who I buy from.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£178.95 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£96.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£144.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£80.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (£549.98 @ Novatech)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: AOC - AG271QX 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor (£379.99 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1711.80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Do you really need a 1080? For a first build i'd personally go for something less expensive. Not my money though. :pac:

• Advertisement

Do you really need a 1080? For a first build i'd personally go for something less expensive. Not my money though. :pac:

I don't know!

missing-out-hands-on-face.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

If you can afford it then just go for it. I'm probably just being jealous. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBF, with GTX 1070 still around €490 (they were as low as €340 at one point! :mad:) you might as well spend the extra few bob & get a cheap GTX 1080; the gulf in performance between the cards is massive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Vega 56 is supposed to beat the 1070, costs less and can be paired with a cheaper FreeSync monitor. Worth waiting to see at least. Only a couple of weeks away.

The monitor you picked has adaptive sync which will only work with AMD cards.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Vega 56 is supposed to beat the 1070, costs less and can be paired with a cheaper FreeSync monitor. Worth waiting to see at least. Only a couple of weeks away.

The monitor you picked has adaptive sync which will only work with AMD cards.

Right you are. It will be interesting to see if those leaks remain true. It could save me a sum on a 1080 too.

Advertisement