Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agents

Options
  • 10-07-2017 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how much responsibility estate agents have to present correct information on properties for sale?

I have been looking at properties and have found that in a significant number of cases the area of land offered is not the same as the area given on the Land Registry site. And its always under, they never seem to make a mistake the other way! 'An acre' seems to be anything from about .70 of an acre. The problem arises when the area shown is a portion of a site on the land registry site so it is impossible to be sure.

I have also come across a case where an adjacent property had put in an entrance to their site across the end of the site for sale. This was indicated by a biro line on the land registry print out, but it was not available until I asked for it. In another case the land registry clearly shows sections that are not in the ownership of the site for sale, the EA's argument was 'that is what the solicitor gave me'.

The only solution apparently is to make an offer, solicitors exchange information, I get a survey done then when it turns out there is all kinds of misinformation and misrepresentation going on I have paid for my solicitor, paid for a survey and established that the information given out was incorrect.

I can deal with EA's flowery descriptions, but basic information should be correct.

Advertisement