Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting full PhD funding without much experience in the field (education).

Options
  • 10-07-2017 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I want to do my PhD in education. I have both a B.Ed and M.Ed, but have not been able to find any sort of long term work in the field (I have been subbing, but only for a few days-2 weeks at a time).

I'm in my mid 20s, and have read that this is the general age people receive full funding. However, with so little experience in the field, how likely am I to get full funding. Would I be better off going abroad and working for 2 years before trying? Or will I be too old to receive full funding when I return? Apologies if I'm waffling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I want to do my PhD in education. I have both a B.Ed and M.Ed, but have not been able to find any sort of long term work in the field (I have been subbing, but only for a few days-2 weeks at a time).

I'm in my mid 20s, and have read that this is the general age people receive full funding. However, with so little experience in the field, how likely am I to get full funding. Would I be better off going abroad and working for 2 years before trying? Or will I be too old to receive full funding when I return? Apologies if I'm waffling.

Have you a research proposal in mind? Have you approached any institutions in regards supervision?

What is it about a PhD that draws you to wanting to do it? What are you hoping to achieve my doing a PhD? Do you think it will increase your chances of employment?

What is your motivation for doing a PhD?

When you say you've been subbing - do you mean as a teacher in a classroom? What are your subjects?

There are options available to students who want to pursue a PhD. Things like IRCSET (the name has changed and it's new one escapes me) but the process is a long drawn out one. PhD funding is hard to come by but it is out there. If you have an institution/supervisor in mind - talk to them about funding opportunities. But bear in mind, many people who work in education departments in universities don't have doctorates.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

sullivlo wrote: »
    Have you a research proposal in mind? Have you approached any institutions in regards supervision?

What is it about a PhD that draws you to wanting to do it? What are you hoping to achieve my doing a PhD? Do you think it will increase your chances of employment?

When you say you've been subbing - do you mean as a teacher in a classroom? What are your subjects?

There are options available to students who want to pursue a PhD. Things like IRCSET (the name has changed and it's new one escapes me) but the process is a long drawn out one. PhD funding is hard to come by but it is out there. If you have an institution/supervisor in mind - talk to them about funding opportunities. But bear in mind, many people who work in education departments in universities don't have doctorates.

These are all very important questions to ask yourself first, which you may already have done and firmly decided. Taking on a PhD is a very big decision, and a major commitment of time and energy for which you will unlikely be financially compensated in anything more than what is essentially subsistence in most cases.

Having experience in a field may be a significant advantage (where some funding is concerned, this may bolster your marks under candidate suitability), but it is not absolutely essential. The overall quality of a great proposal should compensate for gaps in experience.

As for funding, some schools (generally speaking) offer very low to reasonably good scholarships/studentships (in the humanities broadly, you can expect about 6000-16000 + fees).

There is also the Irish Research Council Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship, which is about 16000 per year (up to 4 years) + 2250 expenses + fees. This is a long and gruelling process but works out for over 200 people per year out of 1000+ applicants.

SUSI are now offering postgraduate support again, though the eligibility criteria for full support are quite tough.

EDIT: Don't worry about age, this will not exclude you.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

sullivlo wrote: »

Thank you so much for your reply!

I have no proposal in mind. Interested in a few different areas of education, and not sure what I would want to narrow it down to (though most applications close December 1st so I know i have to decide shortly).

I liked the research aspect of the Masters. I would like to persue that as a full time career, and the most logical way to do that would be by getting a PhD. I would also love to go into lecturing, and colleges such as St. Pats and Mary I do insist on applicants having a PhD.

Yes, subbing as a teacher. Primary level. I have something more longterm this year coming so hopefully that experience will aid my application.

A number of colleges offer full tuition and a living stipend. Most American Unis do, and a number in England. Scholarships in NUIG and Trinity are also very good. I suppose my question is am I currently in a position to get one of these scholarships, or would more classroom experience help in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Zoinks wrote: »
    These are all very important questions to ask yourself first, which you may already have done and firmly decided. Taking on a PhD is a very big decision, and a major commitment of time and energy for which you will unlikely be financially compensated in anything more than what is essentially subsistence in most cases.

Having experience in a field may be a significant advantage (where some funding is concerned, this may bolster your marks under candidate suitability), but it is not absolutely essential. The overall quality of a great proposal should compensate for gaps in experience.

As for funding, some schools (generally speaking) offer very low to reasonably good scholarships/studentships (in the humanities broadly, you can expect about 6000-16000 + fees).

There is also the Irish Research Council Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship, which is about 16000 per year (up to 4 years) + 2250 expenses + fees. This is a long and gruelling process but works out for over 200 people per year out of 1000+ applicants.

SUSI are now offering postgraduate support again, though the eligibility criteria for full support are quite tough.

EDIT: Don't worry about age, this will not exclude you.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I thought that the experience would be important alright. Not only for being accepted in the first place, but also in getting scholarships.

I have only been looking into college based scholarships. Never realised that there was an Irish Research Council based scholarship!

A lecturer in my undergraduate degree told must that we should go abroad to do a PhD, and it would increase our employability when it was completed. I'm not complete sure if this is true, but it is focusing my attention on college overseas, in countries such as UK, USA, Norway, Finland and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thank you so much for your reply!

I have no proposal in mind. Interested in a few different areas of education, and not sure what I would want to narrow it down to (though most applications close December 1st so I know i have to decide shortly)

With this in mind, have a look at structured PhDs or EdDs (Doctorate in education). These have a taught component (essentially an MA in Education, but you do not get awarded the MA) that will line you up for research and help you find an area of interest.

Though I am note sure how they would work with scholarships and the like. I am working in education and my employer is contributing to my EdD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    With this in mind, have a look at structured PhDs or EdDs (Doctorate in education). These have a taught component (essentially an MA in Education, but you do not get awarded the MA) that will line you up for research and help you find an area of interest.

Though I am note sure how they would work with scholarships and the like. I am working in education and my employer is contributing to my EdD.

To the best of my knowledge, no funding agency will fund a taught doctorate. These tend to be professional doctorates that people do in conjunction with other work. At best, scholarships pay for fees. But it's highly unlikely that any department will provide a stipend.

OP you should speak to the course directors on the taught programs and see whether they have any suggestions. As Tom said, his employer is contributing to his EdD.

Advertisement