Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike on Bus Eireann

Options
  • 10-07-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Morning Folks,

Has anyone tried this lately, sticking the bike in the luggage compartment of a Bus Eireann bus?

Cycling Dublin > Athlone on Saturday and considering bringing the bike back on the bus Sunday. Pints will be had on Saturday d=so cycling back may not be an option :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it a nice bike? If so forget it, no security regarding access to the lower compartment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

if it is a quiet bus route, should be no issue. Depending on the driver, they may charge you a carrying charge (12euro I think). If you are worried about it, bring a lock and lock it to the black frame that is in the undercarriage. I typically sit at the window above the opening doors to help me relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ED E wrote: »
    Is it a nice bike? If so forget it, no security regarding access to the lower compartment.

I have taken my bike on BE services, quite a few years ago to be honest, but locked it to the frame/structure in the luggage bay, and on the traffic side to reduce chances of other bags being thrown on top.

Bear in mind OP, driver/ticket office can also apply a charge for carriage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

cheers for the replies.

it would be a busy route alright, Galway - Dublin, but i would aim to get the Express to the Airport, so no stops after Athlone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Morning Folks,

Has anyone tried this lately, sticking the bike in the luggage compartment of a Bus Eireann bus?

Cycling Dublin > Athlone on Saturday and considering bringing the bike back on the bus Sunday. Pints will be had on Saturday d=so cycling back may not be an option :)

Cheers.

Its never stopped me. Decent brekkie and some fresh air, perfect cure for it all.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Why not just get the train from Athlone? You can safely take your bike and it will be a much more comfortable trip

live near the airport, getting the bus would just be handier.

train is an option though

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its never stopped me. Decent brekkie and some fresh air, perfect cure for it all.

not sure my legs would be able for it :)

getting down there will be a struggle as it is

Deedsie wrote: »
    If it was me, Id get the train and cycle from Heuston up the N1 (40 minute cycle). Each to their own though. Been a long while since I had a hangover so maybe after a feed of pints the bus might be the best shout :-)

Same here, and if the last one i had is anything to go by, getting on a bike is not something that would be advisable :)

Used Bus Eireann yesterday and it was grand.

Was told there would be a fee for doing so, but no one came near me to ask to pay. Stuck the bike on the bus, Drivers side and got on.

Bike got up there in one piece.

Advertisement