Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap-ish graphics card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd look at a GTX 1050 Ti ; the Thinkstation E31 either has a 240W or 280W power supply but you should be running ~180W with that setup.

You should get a very playable 1080p.
    Might take some fiddling though:
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/ThinkStation-E31-GPU-problems/td-p/3471234

Also note that you it takes half-length (<180mm), full-height cards:
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=gra16_512&xf=2612_180%7E9810_7+1981+-+GTX+1050+Ti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From that link sounds like there's a bios limitation preventing newer cards from working - the same problem can be found on certain HP machines as well.

Something like a GTX650 that doesn't require a power connector may work as it's from the same era. Won't be great but will run the game at low settings for about €50.

Other than that you're likely out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wshouldieat?

Hi! If you're looking for a cheap graphics card you should consider getting a second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A second hand one off ebay was what I was thinking. Thanks KiKi and Terrorfirmer for the pointers on the bios situation I'll do a bit more research before pulling the trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The other option is sell your current machine and buy a 2nd hand i5 on adverts/ebay and add your own card, the difference shouldn't be too great (maybe €100) and you'll have a far more upgradable machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement