Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New poster from seeking information on buying a property in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

it
    LirW wrote: »
    Honestly, 1200 is very optimistic for a somewhat decent gaff. Especially it can take you a long time to find something, there is a massive shortage in Dublin where you view a property with hundred other people and the landlord gets to pick his favourite applicant.

3500 rentals all over the country is really low. It's a landlord's market.
    Also getting a mortgage as a couple with you as a non-national might be a tricky one, especially if you're in the country for a relatively short period of time.

Personally I consider it a bit mad moving abroad with no real knowledge about how a country runs and wanting to buy a partly mortgaged property pretty much straight away. It's a burden after all that ties you to the place and if you realize Ireland doesn't work for you, that's bad.

Regarding the Jobs: when I came here I was someehat deluded about how easy I'll have it to find a good job, I've seen very similar language roles. I got invited to interviews, and the more I went along, the more I found out they announce to pay you a lot more than they actually do. One offer I had from a well-known multi national that had a VERY dodgy contract with no security and permanency and lower pay than originally announced. I turned the offer down because I'm not starting employment based on dishonesty.
    But a lot of people can't afford to turn them down and it's either service jobs or this, which is only marginally better.

I really don't wanna discourage you, but before I moved here with my Irish partner who lived in Dublin all his life, I talked the same way and had a very rude awakening. Please don't take it personal.
    it's ok, thats really the reason why im here in this forum. i wanna know as much as i can about living in Dublin before we move in.
    maybe i didn't wrote it but we gooa rent for 1 year at least before we decide to but an apartment.
    we know all the areas and everything and only after that we gonna find a house to but. maybe in 2 years the situtaion will be better, or not, only the time will tell.
    but for sure, this time the government admit the problem in preliminary stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Is there dampness showing on the walls?[/quote]
    i don't think so, it's the way the pictures took.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I don't know the area well enough to say if that particular development will have issues, but Ballymun which is not far looking at Google maps does have a prettt bad name in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't know the area well enough to say if that particular development will have issues, but Ballymun which is not far looking at Google maps does have a prettt bad name in Dublin.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Henbabani wrote: »

Honestly OP I've lived near enough there and wouldn't go for the Santry Cross apartments. For a little bit more the ones in Northwood (Lymewood, Temple Gardens, Carrington) are much nicer apartments with green space around them and not massively more money in some cases for a better style of place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I live close and my boy goes to school with a few people from Ballymun. If you're not used to the people and a rougher environment, stay clear. You have nice people living there but the area isn't unproblematic.
    Northwood is a lot nicer, just has some pyrite issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You said you were going to hold off buying until you're settled here? It looks like your determined to buy before your lived in Dublin which you've been advised against.

I'm buying myself and I can't imagine that you'll be in a position to buy in the near future (from the banks) I'd imagine Estate Agents would not take your bids seriously either because of that.

http://www.kbd.ie/property-search/?pid=612941

Hi again
    how is this area?
    dangerous? crime?
    thank you

• Advertisement

It's not perfect, but you might like the maps on this blog page which give decent indications about how desirable various areas are: https://dublinhousehunting.com/searching-for-the-perfect-house/2015/4/12/what-are-the-best-areas-and-those-that-you-should-avoid

Note that the guy did it more at a neighbourhood level, so there could be a good street in an area he marked as red or a bad street in an area he marked as green. But while I don't agree with all his assessments I think overall it gives a good overview.

Bob24 wrote: »
    It's not perfect, but you might like the maps on this blog page which give decent indications about how desirable various areas are: https://dublinhousehunting.com/searching-for-the-perfect-house/2015/4/12/what-are-the-best-areas-and-those-that-you-should-avoid

Note that the guy did it more at a neighbourhood level, so there could be a good street in an area he marked as red or a bad street in an area he marked as green. But while I don't agree with all his assessments I think overall it gives a good overview.

So basically all the Northside is unsafe beside Clontarf and Sutton, Glasnevin is close to a crime-ridden hole and god beware of anything in West Dublin.

@OP, cheap apartments can have serious fire safety issues or pyrite issues. You need to do your research very well when you consider buying in any apartment block that was build between 2002 and 2009.

LirW wrote: »
    So basically all the Northside is unsafe beside Clontarf and Sutton, Glasnevin is close to a crime-ridden hole and god beware of anything in West Dublin.

I don't think that's quite what the maps or area listings say ;-)

To have a fair representation, cover whole Dublin in a reddish tone, at least according to my MIL :pac:
    (She drives up Ballymun road with the doors locked, even though she lives basically on it)

Advertisement