Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I've a sneaky feeling Roscommon will put this Mayo team to the sword on Sunday and end this group as a team. Mcstay is a better manager than Rockford, he's inside knowledge of Mayo and the recent extra time wins over average teams have papered over the many cracks throughout this mayo team. Roscommon will not get a better chance to make a semi final for years to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've a sneaky feeling Roscommon will put this Mayo team to the sword on Sunday and end this group as a team. Mcstay is a better manager than Rockford, he's inside knowledge of Mayo and the recent extra time wins over average teams have papered over the many cracks throughout this mayo team. Roscommon will not get a better chance to make a semi final for years to come!
    Valuable insightful contribution as always ?
    Did you happen to catch mayos forward play at the weekend ? Cillians in particular ?
    Any comment to make ?

How do you think your own county will do ? Still going to win an AI within 5 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

I've a sneaky feeling Roscommon will put this Mayo team to the sword on Sunday and end this group as a team.

Ah yeah sure if they lose on Sunday Harrison, Durcan, AOS, DOC, COC, Keegan, Parsons, McLoughlin, Doherty will probably all retire. They're all getting on at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ah yeah sure if they lose on Sunday Harrison, Durcan, AOS, DOC, COC, Keegan, Parsons, McLoughlin, Doherty will probably all retire. They're all getting on at this stage :rolleyes:

I get to use one of my favorite MUPPETS gifs now :D

tumblr_max7m0blYU1ryedhuo1_500.gif

km79 wrote:
    Valuable insightful contribution as always ? Did you happen to catch mayos forward play at the weekend ? Cillians in particular ? Any comment to make ?

km79 wrote:
    How do you think your own county will do ? Still going to win an AI within 5 years ?

Yes and yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Meh...a few high balls from Kerry into our full back line and the game will be as good as over. Any perceived weak link and Kerry will target it repeatedly, that's what they did in 2014.

Best to worry about Roscommon than speculating on down the line perhaps, but yeah if ye met Kerry a more than fair chance early balls will be rained down on Star with O Donoghue and Geaney looking for lay offs or breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Hopefully so ;-)

Jesus they are out early this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    We worry about Roscommon first. What are peoples thoughts on the game?

If Roscommon get sucked in by the hype of winning (deservedly) the Connacht title then they could return to form. Though if they bomb us like they did Galway then you'd expect our FB line to suffer.
    I can see this going to ET again, a shoot out of a game. Ref will need to be very strong in this game.
    The 50k attendance could rattle the inexperienced Rossies but youth sometimes ignores that.

With the value of hindsight it seems that Galway started to believe their own hype in the lead up to the Connacht final, which is ironic given that the two Galway goons on the podcast prior to the Mayo v Galway game were saying that Mayo get ahead of themselves.

So Roscommon came in well prepared and caught Galway on the hop.

Roscommon would have no such luxuries v Mayo.

But at the same time Mayo are hardly setting the world on fire, and they are getting off to slow starts.

If Roscommon are to win it they will have to hit Mayo early and have a good lead built up in the second half, the time that Mayo will be bringing on experienced guys, the kind of experience that Roscommon do not have.

Mayo will obviously have to have their backs sorted out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    Jesus they are out early this week

And lets hope they're out by early next week too.

Can't wait for this game. Back to CP, hopefully back to our best or near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Who the fook is *Rockford*????

The Rockford files, from the 80's?

We worry about Roscommon first. What are peoples thoughts on the game?

If Roscommon get sucked in by the hype of winning (deservedly) the Connacht title then they could return to form. Though if they bomb us like they did Galway then you'd expect our FB line to suffer.
    I can see this going to ET again, a shoot out of a game. Ref will need to be very strong in this game.
    The 50k attendance could rattle the inexperienced Rossies but youth sometimes ignores that.

I haven't a clue how it'll go on Sunday tbh, a lot will depend on what Rossies turn up. Walking out of McHale Park after the League game, you would have bitten someones arm off if they said you could have them in a QF. But they got their act together for Galway.

Apart from the sweeper situation there's plenty to be positive about from us. Caff is getting a hard time but having some protection would be nice and I would be off the opinion that he needs these games.

Neither teams run up to this game is ideal. Rossies only having one test. Us having too many. I think we'll get our act together and edge past them. McStay wasn't hiding the fact that they partied hard for a few days after Galway. Hopefully that's the kind of thing that will give us the edge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

EICVD wrote: »
    Hopefully so ;-)

lol ya I saw that would be the 2nd best thing to happen in the championship if Mayo get knocked out..... whats the 1st! :)

#timetofindafriend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

I'd just hope and I kinda feel Roscommon played their All Ireland the last day - It's going to be hard to come off that high to play Mayo . If they do come out the same way as the Galway game we'll be under pressure but I don;t think we'll see it from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

A bit like the Cork game, I'm getting worried about the Roscommon game for a number of reasons.

1. They are the only division one team we have faced. We struggled to get past mid table division two teams.
    2. Roscommon had a poor league but it looks like they were in heavy training and focusing on the championship. They might be just peaking.
    3. We are an aging team, but worse than that, an aging team that's had 4 or 5 difficult weeks, with two extra time matches. That's got to take something out of our legs.
    4. Our current full back line is there for the taking.
    5. Roscommon are a much younger team, with a good break since the Connacht final. They could easily run the legs off us.
    6. McStay/McHale are a good management team and will want to beat Mayo to prove a point. They also know our weaknesses.

There's a few other reasons too. I hope I am proven wrong, but you'd nearly have to tip Roscommon as favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

We worry about Roscommon first. What are peoples
    I can see this going to ET again,
    Do All Ireland quarter finals go to extra time or a replay?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A replay I would swear was said on the radio the other day

This match is generating great interest in Roscommon! Huge crowds queuing for tickets this morning.

Going to be a brilliant atmosphere in Croker Sunday!

DFkeLgOXYAAfyIb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

Not much internet in Roscommon to be fair

A bit like the Cork game, I'm getting worried about the Roscommon game for a number of reasons.

1. They are the only division one team we have faced. We struggled to get past mid table division two teams.
    2. Roscommon had a poor league but it looks like they were in heavy training and focusing on the championship. They might be just peaking.
    3. We are an aging team, but worse than that, an aging team that's had 4 or 5 difficult weeks, with two extra time matches. That's got to take something out of our legs.
    4. Our current full back line is there for the taking.
    5. Roscommon are a much younger team, with a good break since the Connacht final. They could easily run the legs off us.
    6. McStay/McHale are a good management team and will want to beat Mayo to prove a point. They also know our weaknesses.

There's a few other reasons too. I hope I am proven wrong, but you'd nearly have to tip Roscommon as favourites.

I'll be a little nervous but I wouldn't have us going in as underdogs.

1. They're a Div 2 team now. I think it's in this Mayo teams DNA to struggle past teams whoever they are generally (fortunately or unfortunately)
    2. They might be peaking or they may have peaked. I'm not sure even the Rossies would blame the poor league on S&C work. The only thing we really know is that they showed what they can do against Galway and that was impressive.
    3. We're far from geriatrics, there seems to be a myth that we have a team full of 30+'s. Plenty of mileage but there's plenty of early and late 20's there... I would say there's a good balance. The recent games could still be telling, it's not ideal.
    4. The big worry, a decent sweeper ahead of them is really needed. I wouldn't go as far as saying the full FB line is a weakness though.
    5. I think the strength of our squad could be said to cancel this out. Then throw experience on top of that.
    6. I would be wary of McStay, he's a good tactician. But our weaknesses are there for the Country to see.

I'm hoping for a cracker but think we'll come out the right side, just about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Our current full back line is there for the taking.

Roscommon's full back line is not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A motion was passed at Congress this year,all games excepting All Ireland final and provincial finals go to extra time.

I presume it applies to this year's championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

seligehgit wrote: »
    A motion was passed at Congress this year,all games excepting All Ireland final and provincial finals go to extra time.

Proper order

Applies from 2018 onwards. Semi replays if there are any pencilled in for Cork according to the examiner a few weeks ago. Looking to get semis played there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

I think that comes into effect with next year's championship, but I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The gaa website doesn't say extra time if necessary for the mayo game but does for the qualifiers the day before.

The motion also states that if it's still a draw after extra time a replay is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    The gaa website doesn't say extra time if necessary for the mayo game but does for the qualifiers the day before.

See posts immediately above,motion only comes into effect next year so presumably there'll be a replay if we're all square at the end of normal time.:(

Master fixtures list (final version) doesn't mention a replay date (so assume extra time?) Also has us down as the first match to be played.

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/47/27/FinalVersion-GAAMasterFixtureScheduleBooklet2017-15112016_Neutral.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

irishgeo wrote: »

The motion also states that if it's still a draw after extra time a replay is required.

I think qualifiers always had extra time first as standard due to the proximity of fixtures and the difficulty of organising replays.

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Applies from 2018 onwards. Semi replays if there are any pencilled in for Cork according to the examiner a few weeks ago. Looking to get semis played there too.

I hope they don't start picking up games just to justify the money they've spent on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im calling bull**** on that, any sources?

Im calling bull**** on that, any sources?

I cant find the links to the articles now. They were in the examiner last week and the week before, maybe 2 weeks ago. In 2 different articles. Nearly sure they were by Fogerty. In one it said if semi finals went to a replay, they were pencilled in for Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Another article said they'd be looking to have the semi's played there in the future, "to spread the games around the country" or something to that effect. Have done a search on the site but cant find them now, they were a couple of sentences in an article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I cant find the links to the articles now. They were in the examiner last week and the week before, maybe 2 weeks ago. In 2 different articles. Nearly sure they were by Fogerty. In one it said if semi finals went to a replay, they were pencilled in for Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Another article said they'd be looking to have the semi's played there in the future, "to spread the games around the country" or something to that effect. Have done a search on the site but cant find them now, they were a couple of sentences in an article.

Yeah - read something along the same lines in the Examiner as well.

I think it was Ger Lane saying that Cork had been pencilled in for any replays.

Frank and the lads are absolutely desperate to try and get any games at all that they can in the new Pairc to try and pay off the debt. They won't give a flying fig about supporters having to travel miles out of their way.

Can't see hq giving up the semi's!

There are no replays outside of provincial and all Irelands from next year anyway ?

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    There are no replays outside of provincial and all Irelands from next year anyway ?

There still can be replays, just less likely as it's extra time for the rest.

What will happen next year at the end of extra time if it is still a draw? 45 kicks for points or penalties :)

Top won't like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Good article from Darragh O'Shea in today's Irish Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Darragh O Se kiss of death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Good article from Darragh O'Shea in today's Irish Times.
    He might be right about Keegan. He can be got at. Needs to sharpen up and mentally pull back from abyss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Oldtree wrote: »
    What will happen next year at the end of extra time if it is still a draw? 45 kicks for points or penalties :)

(Note: Effective from January 1st, 2018:
    “Inter-County Under 21 Championships”
    to become “Inter-County Under 21 Hurling
    Championship, Inter-County Under 20
    Football Championship. (In the latter
    Championship there shall be no replays.
    Teams level after extra-time shall decide the
    outcome on a ‘sudden-death’ free-taking
    competition, the details of which shall be
    determined by the Central Council”.))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »
    The Darragh O Se kiss of death

I'm not going to read it but is there the obligatory mention of coming back from Limerick in the car with Paudi in it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No - not a mention of him. Makes a reference to tweaking nipples, but who doesn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

No - not a mention of him. Makes a reference to tweaking nipples, but who doesn't?
    I knew that same sex referendum would end up with this....:). Now everybody is doing it......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

In all fairness to him he does write some good stuff and never goes overboard with the rubbish others spout.
    Generally, he's always balanced and fairly accurate when it comes to talking about Mayo

That's an excellent article
    Spot on about Higgins "defending ", Keegan's cards and o Shea's brilliant temperment and that qualifiers are for winning.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Have any special trains been announced yet or are they all sold out at this point?

Have any special trains been announced yet or are they all sold out at this point?

Post from midwest yesterday saying IrishRail said there would be none, then they changed their minds! :)
    http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/40846-controversy-over-any-special-train-services-to-dublin-this-sunday-for-football-qualifiers

WESTMEATH: The M6 Dublin/Galway is closed for works eastbound from J5 Tullamore to J6 Moate East and westbound from J8 Athlone East to J7 Moate West until 6pm on Friday (28th). Diversions are in place via the Old Dublin Rd.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement