Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

muddle84 wrote: »
    Good question!!

Presumably this year's championship panel.

Ok let’s go a bit back in time

It’s October 2010, Mayo are looking for a new manager after a championship exit before the first of July the summer just gone.

The choices are as follows

A man who, in the previous 13 or 14 years, has got the team to multiple All Ireland finals, lost a couple of them by narrow margins, one after a replay. He last managed Mayo 5 years previous.

A younger man who has no inter-county managerial experience, has guided his club to intermediate championship success and currently has them at the latter stages of the senior championship.

Who do you pick?

In 2018 you have the following choices

Horan in the previous 8 years has got his team to multiple All Ireland finals, losing by small margins. He last managed Mayo 4 year previous.

Solan has no senior management experience but has won and got to a national final at underage.

Now I know there are differences between the “Manghan or Horan” in 2010 and “Horan or Solan” in 2018 choices but I don’t think Horan is the no-brainier that some think it is.

I agree with the quoted poster when he/she says that Horan with Solan in the backroom would be sensible, actually IMO it would be desirable.

As I’ve said many time here I think it’s a few years too early for Horan to have the job back. A few more years in club football, and with newer players on the Mayo panel would have been better I think, but alas Rochford’s resignation seems to be bringing that forwards

I'm with you on this Father Tod.TBH I'm surprised James Horan isn't opting out of going forward for the position for a few years.Perhaps he firmly believes he has learned enough to get this largely still of his own making group over the line.Hoping it's not out any misguided loyalty to the player group.

James Horan has a great opportunity to develop a lot of talented players in Westport over the next few years and observe same talent countywide.

If he comes back into the current setup he'll have some hard decisions to make in terms of the panel.A panel that if not already will soon be going into transition and will not be dining at the top table for the short to medium term.

Women in sport have been fighting hard for parity, clearly on this occasion it didn't suit some

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...-37334309.html

Very good summation article by Ewan McKenna on the ladies team walkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

seligehgit wrote: »

sums up how Im thinking about it, everyone involved in the sport is fighting hard for parity, I know clubs who complain that they cant get a pitch for a ladies match as male counterparts are on it even for training.

Even pairc ui caoimhe this year when the Liam Miller benefit match was up for discussion the head of GAA in cork was saying sure even the ladies want to play on it more. That tells you what the attitude is towards it. They dont see it as anything close to parity with the mens game.

And then this comes along. Looking to be treated differently. Managers manage. Players play.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Solan and Horan is a team I'd like to see in place.

Horan for all the experience at senior level, with knowing probably 1/2 of that panel inside out.
    Solan for his experience at winning the U21, for the football he brought in the U20 team.
    He will also have managed a good chunk of the existing and can be there to transition the new lads in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    The two O'Sheas , Cillian O Connor, Alan Dillion, and f*****g Andy Moran.

41170209_700044510349295_7615238257193779200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fa58683c25b0191260eb352af8f21722&oe=5C614E53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

boosabum wrote: »
    Never underestimate the desire of the county board to be held accountable to the clubs when the team expenses are so high that extra levies need to be applied to cover costs.
    Alright talking about yes/no men but the county board are Representative of much more than the Mayo senior team.
    I saw occasions where players didn't play club championship games based on Horan's "advice" so i'd wager a lot of delegates would have long memories too.

Absolutely. And while we dont want a Yes man we also dont need a manager who dictates to the Co Board. I think some supporters strangely seem to regard the Co Board as soccer fans might regard the board of diretcors at their club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Who are "the players" I wonder - last years panel? A group of senior players who have been around longest?
    Captain and vice Captain is normally the players brought forward in a situation like that. It was clear to me Horan was returning and even when he was asked recently about the job on either Sky and OTB he couldn't keep a straight face and answered like a politician. Will be interesting to see who he has part of his management team as it was Horan that brought in Buckley and Buckley is still a huge void to fill.

Absolutely gutted I won't be home for the quarter finals.

I'll be relying on Mayo GAA TV on Saturday night and watch back the Sunday matches.

Breaffy and Westport should be very tasty, slight fancy for Westport.

Ballintubber should have too much for Moy Davitts.

Mitchel's should have too much for Claremorris.

Ballaghaderreen and Garrymore could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I'm with you on this Father Tod.TBH I'm surprised James Horan isn't opting out of going forward for the position for a few years.Perhaps he firmly believes he has learned enough to get this largely still of his own making group over the line.Hoping it's not out any misguided loyalty to the player group.

James Horan has a great opportunity to develop a lot of talented players in Westport over the next few years and observe same talent countywide.

If he comes back into the current setup he'll have some hard decisions to make in terms of the panel.A panel that if not already will soon be going into transition and will not be dining at the top table for the short to medium term.

I think Horan going for the job means he sees the talent is there. I think this is very positive.

The problem with Horan and Solan to a degree is been able to read the game on the line and make changes. Both have falling down on this so it is important that they get someone with this very important skill to join the team. Both are very good options so who they get with them is just as important. It would be nice if they joined forces as Solan is well got for in the U20s and bring in some other buck that is the missing piece of the jigsaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Perhaps he firmly believes he has learned enough to get this largely still of his own making group over the line.

I'm firmly convinced this is how he sees the job. Maybe more to the point there doesn't seem to anyone else coming forward who Horan likely believes could land the prize. If Jim McGuinness or some other 'superstar' had put his hand up I'd say Horan would have let him at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Mayo GAA TV on Saturday night .
    What's this all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stoner wrote: »
    What's this all about?

Mayo GAA

:D

Stoner wrote: »
    What's this all about?

https://mayogaatv.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

Carnacon appealing the €500 fine and 4 week ban on the 8 players who walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

FutbolCian wrote: »
    Carnacon appealing the €500 fine and 4 week ban on the 8 players who walked away.

They should be told to rev up and fcuk off at this stage.sick listening about them.theyre as bad as brexit.theyl be getting Teresa may in yet as mediator

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

sums up how Im thinking about it, everyone involved in the sport is fighting hard for parity, I know clubs who complain that they cant get a pitch for a ladies match as male counterparts are on it even for training.

Even pairc ui caoimhe this year when the Liam Miller benefit match was up for discussion the head of GAA in cork was saying sure even the ladies want to play on it more. That tells you what the attitude is towards it. They dont see it as anything close to parity with the mens game.

And then this comes along. Looking to be treated differently. Managers manage. Players play.

It does not help when the GAA, LGFA and Camogie are 3 different associations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

FutbolCian wrote: »
    There is a Mayo LGFA co.board meeting on Monday to discuss what happens next.
    It's getting a bit tedious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

They made a great job of the Achill Kilmeena game last Sunday. Perfect video quality and replays of every score.

Although I'll be in MacHale Park myself, €5 to see the 2 games on Saturday or Sunday is good value. Might even get a few outsiders tuning in for Westport v Breaffy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    They made a great job of the Achill Kilmeena game last Sunday. Perfect video quality and replays of every score.

Although I'll be in MacHale Park myself, €5 to see the 2 games on Saturday or Sunday is good value. Might even get a few outsiders tuning in for Westport v Breaffy.

Its brilliant. Must tell my dad and his buddy. 12 months after his last match his mate will be attend westport/breaffy after hip replacement and then v bad fall.
    So really looking forward to it on a number of fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Re: Mayo G.A.A. TV

I hope that the quality and stability has improved on the last couple of years - was always one problem or another like the feed going down, the picture being really slow and blocky (as their gear couldn't cope) and of course one day when the picture for the entire first half was the fogged up window in the commentary box and nothing else. 30 minutes of a fogged up window. I mean FFS.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

BandMember wrote:
    I hope that the quality and stability has improved on the last couple of years - was always one problem or another like the feed going down, the picture being really slow and blocky (as their gear couldn't cope) and of course one day when the picture for the entire first half was the fogged up window in the commentary box and nothing else. 30 minutes of a fogged up window. I mean FFS....

You obviously haven't used it in the recent past so.

You obviously haven't used it in the recent past so.

Not this year, no, but used to up as recently as last year before I gave up on it....

BandMember wrote: »
    Not this year, no, but used to up as recently as last year before I gave up on it....

The stream quality from abroad is top class.

Some comeback by Shrule in the intermediate relegation playoff

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Have it going here now for Westport v Breaffy. Great picture. Sheamus O Shea starting for Breaffy btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Stream is perfect but one of the cameras is in dire need of a clean. Breaffy well on top.

Half time: Breaffy 0-9 Westport 0-5.

Mayo GAA TV gone down.

EDIT: back again.

• Advertisement

Back again.

Young Colm Moran is some talent.

Mayo GAA TV gone down.

Ya they had updated on twitter to say it would be back in less than 5 minutes.

Back again.

Young Colm Moran is some talent.

Some lovely scores.

Mayo GAA TV gone down.

Different game, same story.... ;)

Can the cameraman not see or something? Seems unable to follow the game

5 mins left, breaffy 0-10 westport 0-10.

• Advertisement

5 mins left, breaffy 0-10 westport 0-10.

Both sides feeling the pressure-lots of dodgy wides!

Very disappointing contest,some shocking shooting.

Gone offline with four minutes to go.Raging.

Bloody stream gone again in extra time.

Raging - of all times for it to drop!!

• Advertisement

Result: Breaffy 0-11 westport 0-10.

Via Twitter update. Mayo Gaa TV still down. First time using it. Disappointing.

Breaffy held on for the win

Breaffy 0-11
    Westport 0-10

Horan finished up for the year so ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Breaffy held on for the win

Breaffy 0-11
    Westport 0-10

Nobody will fear Breaffy on that performance. Absolutely clueless at times, no style of play or fluidity, nothing inside to worry the opposition.

Paying pay big bucks for a management team... and that's the end result. 2 points in the second half, both frees. Shocking.

They did close out the game well in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Moy Davitts got off to a great start in the other game. Reape was very good inside, they were a joy to watch going forward tbh. Ballintubber goals killed them though. Had to leave at HT

PARlance wrote: »
    Nobody will fear Breaffy on that performance. Absolutely clueless at times, no style of play or fluidity, nothing inside to worry the opposition.

Paying pay big bucks for a management team... and that's the end result. 2 points in the second half, both frees. Shocking.

They did close out the game well in fairness.

Yeah maybe it’s for the best Rochford didn’t get to move forward with his new backroom team ........

km79 wrote: »
    Horan finished up for the year so ......

All ready for him now for the Mayo job. I think if the rumour is true on one of his management team, it's a done deal and I can't see Solan getting it.

All ready for him now for the Mayo job. I think if the rumour is true on one of his management team, it's a done deal and I can't see Solan getting it.

Canavan and Buckley?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

km79 wrote: »
    Canavan and Buckley?

Didn't hear about Buckley but if PC is on board, it's hard to see them not giving it to him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement