Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Didn't hear about Buckley but if PC is on board, it's hard to see them not giving it to him

I'm sorry but is PC in your post and Canavan in another post the person I'm thinking it is ?

What does he offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Is there any truth to the Canavan rumour?

He was a great player but hasn't had any notable success as a coach/manager. I'd prefer an experienced coach be brought in to replace Donie Buckley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Is there any truth to the Canavan rumour?

He was a great player but hasn't had any notable success as a coach/manager. I'd prefer an experienced coach be brought in to replace Donie Buckley.

I heard both are on board........

Enjoyable evening in MacHale Park. Westport Breaffy was a a dog fight but fairly low on quality. Fionn McDonagh was very good in midfield and looks the closest Westport player to making the county team. He's tall, quick and can kick a score.

Brian Reape looked very promising in the 2nd game even though Moy Davitts were well beaten in the end.

km79 wrote: »
    I heard both are on board........

Interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I'm sorry but is PC in your post and Canavan in another post the person I'm thinking it is ?

What does he offer ?

Well I suppose you could ask the same about what Rochford's proposed team offered as well. He was a truly brilliant player, has limited time in a management position with Fermanagh and managed his club AFAIK so he is a bit of an unknown really. He is high profile though.

Well I suppose you could ask the same about what Rochford's proposed team offered as well. He was a truly brilliant player, has limited time in a management position with Fermanagh and managed his club AFAIK so he is a bit of an unknown really. He is high profile though.

At least Forde/Conway are experienced and fairly successful coaches, although Breaffy aren't playing that well.

Canavan would require huge expenses being so far away. Doesn't make much sense IMO.

At least Forde/Conway are experienced and fairly successful coaches, although Breaffy aren't playing that well.

Canavan would require huge expenses being so far away. Doesn't make much sense IMO.

Well we had the Armagh buck so we are in essence keeping the same expenses in line with Rochford. The CB were happy with that situation.

I think Buckley in the team is a serious plus as he is one of the top coaches in Ireland. Kinnerk in limerick had some time with Buckley AFAIK and he has done wonders with Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I would be massively surprised if Buckley is involved again with Mayo (well in the immediate future anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Well we had the Armagh buck so we are in essence keeping the same expenses in line with Rochford. The CB were happy with that situation.

I think Buckley in the team is a serious plus as he is one of the top coaches in Ireland. Kinnerk in limerick had some time with Buckley AFAIK and he has done wonders with Limerick

Buckley back would be massive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Connaught Telegraph facebook:

Mick Solan, a nominee to fill the vacant post of Mayo senior team manager, is already putting a backroom tram together.

According to a report in today's Irish Independent, the Ballaghaderreen coach has lined up former Tyrone star Enda McGinley to be part of his set-up if he gets the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lads that stood out last night.

Colm Moran,Fionn McDonagh,Lewis Cawley,Matthew Ruane and Brian Reape who's been doing it at club level for a few years now.

Diarmuid's game is so well suited to i lar na pairce.

Great to see Jason Gibbons put in a decent shift.

Colm Moran excites me greatest in terms of out and out natural forward ability,our achilles heel.

PARlance wrote: »
    Connaught Telegraph facebook:

Mick Solan, a nominee to fill the vacant post of Mayo senior team manager, is already putting a backroom tram together.

According to a report in today's Irish Independent, the Ballaghaderreen coach has lined up former Tyrone star Enda McGinley to be part of his set-up if he gets the job.

Interesting times ahead so. I do think its Horan's to lose if he has Buckley and Canavan on board. Buckley was meant to be on the Kerry card with the minor manager.

Either way we have two guys who really want the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

One for the archives

https://youtu.be/B8ySjacQ_M8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting times ahead so. I do think its Horan's to lose if he has Buckley and Canavan on board. Buckley was meant to be on the Kerry card with the minor manager.

Either way we have two guys who really want the job.

Buckley being involved is an obvious plus, but I don't see the attraction of Canavan.

There has been zero talk of Buckley coming to Kerry other than early talk about it when Fitzmaurice stepped down and Buckley was known to be available at the time.

I've heard nothing about Buckley being part of any of the two Kerry candidates back room teams.

• Advertisement

Mitchels giving Claremorris a bit of a hiding, 0-9 to 0-0 after 18 mins.

Playing like county champions.

Different class.

Poor goal to concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Any update on the Knockmore v Crossmolina match? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Even if Horan got Buckley to come back, I will be shocked if the county board don't go with Solan. It's no secret where members of the county board stand on Horan, and I honestly think they didn't expect him to actually go through the nomination process. Connelly is already on record as saying that he wants a clear out of players and clearly still has a bone to pick with many on the squad. Personal agendas will come into it again.

• Advertisement

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Any update on the Knockmore v Crossmolina match? Thanks in advance

Knockmore 1-4 Crossmolina 0-1 after 27 mins.

Thanks 17-pdr.

HT: Mitchels 1-12 Claremorris 1-0.

HT in the relegation SF: Knockmore 1-5 Crossmolina 0-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

PressRun wrote: »
    Even if Horan got Buckley to come back, I will be shocked if the county board don't go with Solan. It's no secret where members of the county board stand on Horan, and I honestly think they didn't expect him to actually go through the nomination process. Connelly is already on record as saying that he wants a clear out of players and clearly still has a bone to pick with many on the squad. Personal agendas will come into it again.

Nail on the head. He wasn't putting the pressure on Rochford to do a clear out based on their playing ability - he was still trying to settle some scores after what they did to his brother and his sidekick. The CB can't stand these players for being so powerful (i.e. in actually standing up to them and not taking any sh*t like the generations before them did) and they are well known to have had Horan's P45 drawn up in 2012 before they went on to reach the final. They put up with him through gritted teeth afterwards.

If you look at any of the successful counties in football or hurling, the CB does everything it can for management and players, puts structures in place to win and bring through players while generating funds through various sources. In Mayo, the CB seem to do everything they can to stop our sides being successful just in case they lose whatever imaginary power they have in their head....

Anyway, back to the manager spot itself, both Horan and Solan have fairly major (and some similar) flaws. The Connacht Telegraph have already resharpened their knives with another hatchet job on Horan. The CB will have some explaining to do if they don't give it to him though as it will another PR disaster for them...

Full time: Mitchels 1-20 Claremorris 2-9.

Relegation playoff SF: Knockmore 1-12 Crossmolina 0-7.

Garrymore v Ballaghaderreen in the other QF at 2.30pm.

Nigh on impossible to see anybody beating the Mitchel's in Mayo.Their power and pace is frightening.Claremorris had greater joy with the high ball into Conor Diskin,an under 20 of great potential.

Donie has been an huge addition to the team.Tour de force from Paddy Durcan in the second half,such a splendid half back.

Kudos to Neil Douglas,James Durcan and Danny Kirby most especially in the first half.

Many thanks 17-pdr, this Sunday work is a fekker.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Nigh on impossible to see anybody beating the Mitchel's in Mayo.Their power and pace is frightening.Claremorris had greater joy with the high ball into Conor Diskin,an under 20 of great potential.

Donie has been an huge addition to the team.Tour de force from Paddy Durcan in the second half,such a splendid half back.

Kudos to Neil Douglas,James Durcan and Danny Kirby most especially in the first half.
    The only solution is to split Castlebar into 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The only solution is to split Castlebar into 2

With 2 teams in the parish already ?????:confused:

• Advertisement

With 2 teams in the parish already ?????:confused:

I don’t think you saw what I did there

I don’t think you saw what I did there

I'd say he did, it's already kinda / sorta split in two.

Was Barry Moran playing FF today? Didn't get to hear / see anything

Has the Semi Final days/time been announced. I know they're down for W/E of Oct 7th....

Can't remember if it was a double header last year.

Edit: Should have checked twitter
    CONFIRMED: Mayo GAA @ConnachtGold SFC Semi-Finals, @Ballagh_GAA v @BreaffyGAA, Saturday 6th Oct, 6pm & @BallintubberCLG v @MitchelsGaa, Saturday 6th 7.30pm, both in @Elverys MacHale Park & LIVE ON @MayoGAATV. #mayogaa #gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

PressRun wrote: »

Horan said on MWR this evening that he has identified 10-12 new players good enough to come into the set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

djPSB wrote:
    Horan said on MWR this evening that he has identified 10-12 new players good enough to come into the set up.

He also didnt rule out getting Solan involved

He also didnt rule out getting Solan involved

In no way surprised with that,would be a good call to make.

Any link?

Out of the country ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

djPSB wrote: »

Was always going to say that even if he intends sticking with the same crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Was always going to say that even if he intends sticking with the same crew.

He named a few players and specific clubs that he has been watching.

Obviously Westport. Mentioned Belmullet, Claremorris and can't remember what others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

djPSB wrote:
    Obviously Westport. Mentioned Belmullet, Claremorris and can't remember what others.

Ballagh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

That was extremely poor fare on Saturday, Westport/Breaffy was tight and intriguing but some very substandard football on show. Tubber were always going to beat Bohola pulling up.

Garrymore/Ballagh looked the game of the weekend, but very hard to look past a Mitchells procession to the title. Fine team

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

djPSB wrote: »
    He named a few players and specific clubs that he has been watching.

He gave a v good interview, aside from the bloody background noise!!!
    The fact he mentioned his intention to bring in new bloody and calling out names was good to hear.
    Thought Westport did v well, should have won.
    Tubber just too much, but Davitts were very good considering they are only up.
    Reape has potential but just needs to up the attitude and work rate a little more.

Diskin sounded to be excellent.

Conor O'Shea was player of the Saturday, his workrate, power and delivery, while against a light weight Westport team, was the best I've seen him.

Was a lovely night for the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

what show were these Horan comments on? Want to listen back on the app?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

what show were these Horan comments on? Want to listen back on the app?

Madwest sport yesterday the interview was broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yop wrote: »
    Madwest sport yesterday the interview was broadcast.

You said it, not me. ;)

yop wrote: »
    Conor O'Shea was player of the Saturday, his workrate, power and delivery, while against a light weight Westport team, was the best I've seen him.

Did you pop out for the 2nd half of the Breaffy game?

Thought he was very good in the first half but Breaffy were very poor 2nd half. No points from play. Only 2 frees and a relatively easy free missed by Conor at a vital stage.

I only stuck around for the first half of Ballintubber. Thought Gibbons was the stand out player. Reape and Moy Davitts had a great opening 15 mins or so.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You said it, not me. ;)
    PARlance wrote: »
    Did you pop out for the 2nd half of the Breaffy game?

Thought he was very good in the first half but Breaffy were very poor 2nd half. No points from play. Only 2 frees and a relatively easy free missed by Conor at a vital stage.

I only stuck around for the first half of Ballintubber. Thought Gibbons was the stand out player. Reape and Moy Davitts had a great opening 15 mins or so.

No, was there for both games.
    He missed 2 in the 1st half also, but he his work rate when they needed it was 2nd to none last Saturday. AOS was pushed into FF as Conor went out.
    He hasn't been given that game time before with Mayo.

Gibbons was top notch, but his boat has sailed with Mayo.
    Moy Davitts really surprised me with their fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

naughto wrote: »

They'll probably get each club to hold a raffle. Raise 10k to claim your 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Any bookies offering odds on the new manager? Dont see anything on PP or Boyles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Next Mayo manager far too serious an issue to trivialise by gambling:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement