Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Just seen the new top, Niall McGarry leaked it. Looks decent, kind of a throwback to the old tops with a lighter green.

Fairly cheeky of McGarry to leak it prior. Certainly been living up to his reputation recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Fairly cheeky of McGarry to leak it prior. Certainly been living up to his reputation recently

It's all about the self promotion for Niall it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Did they ever take him up on his offer to fund a sales manager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

judeboy101 wrote: »

Wonder why they were excluded. The terms of the donation seemed pretty straightforward.

• Advertisement

Wonder why they were excluded. The terms of the donation seemed pretty straightforward.

Don't know anyone in either club, but I'm assuming its "financial issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I would assume it's because they don't have senior teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

So, does that mean they are not a gaa club then :confused:

I wonder do the handball clubs get some, they are "gaa clubs".

Dont think it matters if they are senior or not. Once they are a registered club, then they should be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that must be what the county board were thinking. Pulling a stroke as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that must be what the county board were thinking. Pulling a stroke as usual.

Did they seriously think the 2 clubs in question would just say "well ok, that's alright then" when told they were getting no money? Given the highly publicized nature of the donation, the odds of their not saying anything wouldn't be great. Is it possible that they owe the Co Board money & their allotted slice of the pie is being withheld as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The Mayo GAA scene this year has been a farce.

Roll on 2019 I'd imagine for most supporters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jeebus we are worse than Eastenders at this stage!
    What clown decided to not give them the money! Considering JP is so linked with hurling!!!

As for Mr MCGarry! He really does want it to be all about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I wonder do the handball clubs get some, they are "gaa clubs".

I doubt it as in Clare the affiliated "GAA Handball" clubs weren't given any.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

If this is what Mayo are doing with JP's money then he should have given it to hurling clubs only. He is a huge hurling fan Im sure he wont be too happy with this snub by a bunch of loosers that love the headlines no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Davys Fits wrote: »
    If this is what Mayo are doing with JP's money then he should have given it to hurling clubs only. He is a huge hurling fan Im sure he wont be too happy with this snub by a bunch of loosers that love the headlines no matter what.

Ah Davy, that's a bit harsh now. Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Could it be that they don't have senior teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I just don’t understand why they would be excluded. I mean, for the other 48 clubs it’s only a difference of €80 but for those 2 clubs it is a difference of €2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

glack wrote: »
    I just don’t understand why they would be excluded. I mean, for the other 48 clubs it’s only a difference of €80 but for those 2 clubs it is a difference of €2000.

Greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Greed.

Greed? Sure it wasn’t as if the county board kept their share for themselves.

glack wrote: »
    Greed? Sure it wasn’t as if the county board kept their share for themselves.

No. They just ensured the hurlers didn't get their share.

They were not affiliated GAA clubs

They were not affiliated GAA clubs
    Are they an amalgamation of affiliated clubs?
    But do they not compete at underage levels up to U21 or am I missing something so they would be affiliated in order to play.

Carazy wrote:
    Are they an amalgamation of affiliated clubs? But do they not compete at underage levels up to U21 or am I missing something so they would be affiliated in order to play.

Dont know the details. But as far as i am aware there are 48 registered/affiliated clubs in Mayo only. Im open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dont know the details. But as far as i am aware there are 48 registered/affiliated clubs in Mayo only. Im open to correction

Which is fair enough. Do people SERIOUSLY think the county board randomly picked out 2 hurling clubs to shaft
    Come of it

km79 wrote: »
    Which is fair enough. Do people SERIOUSLY think the county board randomly picked out 2 hurling clubs to shaft
    Come of it
    I think they could SERIOUSLY have explained it clearly to everyone instead of just saying "no comment"

This is what Ballyvary stated earlier on their FB page:

Without speculating any further as to the “Why” we will allow the Mayo County Board the opportunity to explain their decision making process on the matter.
    What we can confirm is that there are 50 GAA Clubs listed on the Mayo GAA Website. 48 of those clubs were notified on Thursday September 27th last that they would each be receiving a sum of €2083.34, an equal division of the €100,000 donation from JP McManus to be paid by EFT in the coming week. The two clubs listed on the Mayo GAA website that the Mayo County Board did not allocate any of the funding to were Ballyvary Hurling Club and Caiseal Gaels. Both clubs are hurling clubs directly involved with the promotion of Gaelic games at an underage level in Mayo, participated in County Board ran competitions in 2018 up to U21 level and were host clubs for the national Feile na nGael competition held in Connacht in June this year.

So maybe they didnt get anything because they don't field adult teams? Still seems wrong & against the spirit of the donation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Another appeal gone in from the Carnacon 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

ureds wrote: »

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

This'll end up in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

ureds wrote:

It says it all really, how could anyone manage that lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyway..... I managed to get to the junior final yesterday, Balla were convincing winners with Achill's goal coming very late in the game.
    1-12 to 1-7 final score.

Matthew Flanagan lined out in goal for Balla and to be honest I didn't see a whole lot from him that would convince me he's ready to step into David Clarke's shoes any time soon.
    His kicking is ordinary enough and his shots at goal were consistently terrible.
    He also looks very light for inter county level.

Jury is very much out as far as I'm concerned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Anyway..... I managed to get to the junior final yesterday, Balla were convincing winners with Achill's goal coming very late in the game.
    1-12 to 1-7 final score.

Matthew Flanagan lined out in goal for Balla and to be honest I didn't see a whole lot from him that would convince me he's ready to step into David Clarke's shoes any time soon.
    His kicking is ordinary enough and his shots at goal were consistently terrible.
    He also looks very light for inter county level.

Jury is very much out as far as I'm concerned...

To be fair to him, he didn't exactly have a lot to do on Sunday. The 45's he took in the first half were against the breeze, granted they weren't good. You have to remember he's only 22/23, which is young for a keeper.

Balla have a very young team and have a great chance of breaking into Senior in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

To be fair to him, he didn't exactly have a lot to do on Sunday. The 45's he took in the first half were against the breeze, granted they weren't good. You have to remember he's only 22/23, which is young for a keeper.

Balla have a very young team and have a great chance of breaking into Senior in the next couple of years.

I'd say give him a few years yet - he's a good shot stopper, his kicking can seem a bit wayward but I'd put it ahead of Clarke's (I know, I know, I can't ever say that as it won't suit narratives).
    He's played in the forwards too so he gets what the outfield player needs from the kickouts. Its not just a case of belt it as far as you can away from the goals anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

crusier wrote: »
    It says it all really, how could anyone manage that lot!
    Spillane is right. If the All Ireland finals were kept to their traditional dates we wouldn't hear about Mayo ladies school yard squabbles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yeah, they should be ok at intermediate.
    They're one of those clubs who don't really belong at junior level once they have their house reasonably in order.
    Decent bunch of young players there that I would expect to be competitive at provincial level.

Horan to get the job on Thursday with Macdonald as one of the backroom team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

naughto wrote: »
    Interesting..... any word of solan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Nice to see him back, super guy and a super player. McDonald is involved with the U16 development squad afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Macdonald as one of the backroom team

Hopefully could be the Roy Keane of the setup, in only the positive senses.:p

Nice to see him back, super guy and a super player. McDonald is involved with the U16 development squad afaik

The McDonald rumour has being going around awhile now I’d love to see him involved if nothing else bar getting them to kick the fu1cting thing over the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Jesus Christ

Not even Jesus Christ Himself could settle this row

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So it's down to the last four.

Looking forward to Saturday night.

Hard to call Breaffy Ballaghaderreen.Breaffy were very disappointing against Westport.

Mitchel's Ballintubber should be competitive but it's really hard to see past a relatively comfortable win for the Mitchel's.

If the reports are true hoping our mercurial genius Ciaran Mc can contribute richly to bringing the squad forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Carnacon appeal is next Tuesday but as they have 2 senior championship matches this weekend the club will bring a high court order against Mayo lgfa if these matches go ahead.

Not much thought into player welfare now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ureds wrote: »
    Carnacon appeal is next Tuesday but as they have 2 senior championship matches this weekend the club will bring a high court order against Mayo lgfa if these matches go ahead.

Not much thought into player welfare now.

Poison club. I had supported them but by the day they are showing themselves up more and more.
    Probably protest now at matches soon if don't get their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What is the general perception of all this in Carnacon itself?

Did anyone go into Hughes and ask Kevin what he thinks ?

What do they make of it in Tuffy's ?

Are they all behind their girls or are they throwing their eyes up to heaven and like is all wondering "What the f##k"

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

yop wrote: »
    Poison club. I had supported them but by the day they are showing themselves up more and more.
    Probably protest now at matches soon if don't get their way.

Disgrace of a club. Like the bully who’s used to getting own way but can’t take it when someone stands up to them then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I always thought he would be one to stay away from such a high profile gig tbh. Didn't think he'd want to be involved in something that would bring the kind of attention this is going to bring. James Horan must be a persuasive person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I always thought he would be one to stay away from such a high profile gig tbh. Didn't think he'd want to be involved in something that would bring the kind of attention this is going to bring. James Horan must be a persuasive person.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement