Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Extra time now when supporters was going home.
    Yeah they should have announced on the final whistle. My dad who knows his stuff was sure it was going to replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mitchel's down to 14 men with Aidan Walsh sent off in the first half still managed to squander two guilt edged goal chances in the second half.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mitchel's down to 14 men with Aidan Walsh sent off in the first half still managed to squander two guilt edged goal chances in the second half.
    Tubber very poor tactically, left extra man in defence most of the game

Durcan black carded big loss too.

Tubber a point up at HT-ET

Levelnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mitchel a point ahead. Big bird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cillian free levels it. 4 mins left in ET

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Diarmuid will be sore tomorrow. Getting clattered throughout this game.

Finished a draw

• Advertisement

glack wrote: »
    Diarmuid will be sore tomorrow. Getting clattered throughout this game.

Thought he was imperious tonight.Some outstanding tackles leading to turnovers,he was literally everywhere.

He truly has found his home at midfield.

Mitchels should have been home and dry at the end of normal time and they spurned numerous chances in the first period of extra time.

Great to see so many of the inter county players showing,Seamie in particular had a very good outing for Breaffy.Matthew Ruane is a future Mayo midfielder.

I'd say Mitchels should retain their title if they can keep their men on the field. Not saying anything terribly original here, but they've got a stronger squad overall, whereas both Breaffy and Ballintubber are heavily reliant on a few star players.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'd say Mitchels should retain their title if they can keep their men on the field. Not saying anything terribly original here, but they've got a stronger squad overall, whereas both Breaffy and Ballintubber are heavily reliant on a few star players.

I think Ballintubber have a fairly strong squad. 2 of their subs scored points in ET and Padraic O'Connor doesn't weaken the team when he comes on. Take Paddy Durcan and Neil Douglas out of Castlebar and they'd struggle too.

Breaffy should have won the first game by more, missed a lot of chances. Matthew Ruane was excellent, especially in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    The girls felt unsafe and walked away.They are entitled to do that.

Any evidence to show why they felt unsafe? No. Thought so.
    Silly little girls back playing schoolyard games. Probably not invited to someones birthday party and got in a hissy.
    Now a laughing stock. I can imagine what real footballers in Dublin and Cork ladies team think of them

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I think Ballintubber have a fairly strong squad. 2 of their subs scored points in ET and Padraic O'Connor doesn't weaken the team when he comes on. Take Paddy Durcan and Neil Douglas out of Castlebar and they'd struggle too.

Breaffy should have won the first game by more, missed a lot of chances. Matthew Ruane was excellent, especially in the 2nd half.

I think the Mitchels have greater room for improvement,big Barry contributed handsomely on the scoreboard and in general play.Looks likely Donie Newcombe will be out for the replay.

Breaffy were a totally transformed outfit from the one that took the field against Westport.

Aidan caused Ballagh no end of problems at full forward in the first half and was effective when he drifted out the field in the second half.Conor O Shea again made an excellent contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Second year in a row now Mitchells have been brought to a semi replay

Interesting to see how they respond to this, but maybe just not the all conquering force of 2015/16 anymore

Hope they fix the replay for Saturday evening.

Breaffy have some big lads,Peter Dravins and Robert Fadden.

I thought at one stage Robert Fadden might push on and come into contention at inter county level.

Cian Hanley handles quite an amount of ball but needs to bring a greater level of scoring threat to his armoury.

Akram was quite tied down at centre half back,not showing enough at this stage to step up in our strongest line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Edgware wrote: »
    No Carnacon mention today. The "girls" will feel neglected. Perhaps they should call a press conference to say how under appreciated they feel. No one is giving them any respect

The girls felt unsafe and walked away.They are entitled to do that.
    The only things that they felt unsafe about was no longer getting their own way,picking the team and starting the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

James Horan interview here where he talks about coaching structures being strong within Mayo at the moment. The second time he's made mention of a "coaching movement" in the county in an interview. What are people's thoughts on this? He seems quite excited about that side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Edgware wrote:
    Any evidence to show why they felt unsafe? No. Thought so. Silly little girls back playing schoolyard games. Probably not invited to someones birthday party and got in a hissy. Now a laughing stock. I can imagine what real footballers in Dublin and Cork ladies team think of them

You seem happy enough talking away to yourself. Again, why do you feel the need to post this stuff here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You seem happy enough talking away to yourself. Again, why do you feel the need to post this stuff here?

This thread is fairly safe for fishers and trolls, it’s never dealt with.

PressRun wrote: »
    James Horan interview here where he talks about coaching structures being strong within Mayo at the moment. The second time he's made mention of a "coaching movement" in the county in an interview. What are people's thoughts on this? He seems quite excited about that side of things.

Over a hundred players will be involved in the trials with each getting two games,a very positive starting point.

Who's this Joe Doyle chap from Westport?:confused:

Others still involved in the club championship may be play a role.Did he evade the question re Ciaran Mc??

By the looks of it there's many chomping at the bit to be involved in what may be a large backroom team.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Two decent games. Think Tubber will kick themselves not to have won it.
    DOC was back to U21 level of performance, ran the show. No 10 for Tubber looked handy. They are still relying on the same lads now for the last few years, be good to see them win it. Reilly did v well when he came on, thought big bird had a good 1st half, looks fit. Donie V was anon from my view, didn't add anything. Dougie was the best Cbar player there, 2 brilliant passes in the 2nd half.
    Ruane was top player for Breaffy, thought Conor showed once more, lots of energy, though needs to realise he doens't have to pass to the brothers each time he has the ball! :)
    Dravins did well at FB. Fadden as said looks to have potential.
    Hanley has bulked and Akram. Both very active, still Andy was star performer, slows it down, doesn't waste too much.

Good evenings entertainment.

Replay next Saturday night at 19.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

David Drake had a very solid outing yesterday

I wonder (don't shoot me! ) is he an option as a man marking corner back?

As opposed to that bewildering role given to him out the field

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »

I've seen Ballagh play 3 times in the last few weeks and Drake has impressed in every game. He was physically well able for Aidan yesterday when he went full forward. Could he solve our full back problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

jr86 wrote: »

This was said to me earlier this year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I would really like to see Drake given a shot in that more defensive position. Have never seen the sense in him coming on in place of a forward when the game is in the melting pot. It never worked for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kerry Gaa

Wishing Peter Keane and his management team the very best in his new role as the new Senior Football Manager. His Management Team are Donie Buckley, Maurice Fitzgerald, Tommy Griffin & James Foley.

Mayo News Football Podcast 2018 - James Horan Returns

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2018-10-08T04_54_10-07_00.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

km79 wrote: »

Just after seeing it on twitter, WTF???

mayo.mick wrote: »
    km79 wrote: »

Just after seeing it on twitter, WTF???
    This guy on twitter makes it sound likes this vote happened after Carnacon qualified for the semi final.
    The vote took place last Tuesday (October 2nd) before Carnacon played any matches. The vote was actually 30 in favour of the appeal,4 no and 1 spoilt vote.
    Carnacon had already lodged an appeal against the 2 week suspension thinking that the appeal would be heard before the 2 matches.
    Carnacon threatened high court action against Mayo lgfa if the 2 matches went ahead only to afterwards agree to playing the games when they were advised by their lawyer this course of action would be laughed at in court.
    Also,Mayo lgfa voted on not playing these 2 matches until after the appeal only for Carnacon to come back on Wednesday evening and state they would play them.
    The ironic thing is if Carnacon had taken their medicine and got on with the original ban and fine,they paid the fine prior to a further appeal meeting,the 8 players would be free to play this weekend.
    As it stands they may face a further suspension tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

ureds wrote: »
    This guy on twitter makes it sound likes this vote happened after Carnacon qualified for the semi final.
    The vote took place last Tuesday (October 2nd) before Carnacon played any matches. The vote was actually 30 in favour of the appeal,4 no and 1 spoilt vote.
    Carnacon had already lodged an appeal against the 2 week suspension thinking that the appeal would be heard before the 2 matches.
    Carnacon threatened high court action against Mayo lgfa if the 2 matches went ahead only to afterwards agree to playing the games when they were advised by their lawyer this course of action would be laughed at in court.
    Also,Mayo lgfa voted on not playing these 2 matches until after the appeal only for Carnacon to come back on Wednesday evening and state they would play them.
    The ironic thing is if Carnacon had taken their medicine and got on with the original ban and fine,they paid the fine prior to a further appeal meeting,the 8 players would be free to play this weekend.
    This will be of interest to the 65 people who turn up at the games

Meanwhile Paddy Murphys cow has given birth to a calf with two tails

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ureds wrote: »

For their behavior it would be ironic if they get another suspension. They really need to give up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I see Coras book is being launched in Castlebar Thursday week. Something tells me it will be mostly Carnacon folks in attendance. I wonder will they handpick attending media for this too for fear of being asked "difficult" questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He also popped up on Virgin 1 baking a chocolate cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

padd b1975 wrote:

Which show?

Appeal thrown out.

• Advertisement

Appeal thrown out.
    Hopefully that's the end to this saga.But this is Mayo and I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't another twist to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

padd b1975 wrote: »

Queue the outrage from the likes of Bernard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've seen Ballagh play 3 times in the last few weeks and Drake has impressed in every game. He was physically well able for Aidan yesterday when he went full forward. Could he solve our full back problems?

No.

Now, let's move on quickly and forget that question was ever asked.

BandMember wrote: »
    No.

Now, let's move on quickly and forget that question was ever asked.

Who would you have full back so?

Who would you have full back so?

Definitely not Drake as I wouldn't even have him on the panel. We haven't had a proper full back in years and there's no stand out obvious candidate in the current squad at the moment. Hopefully, the trials the new management team are holding will unearth someone or else we'll be back to putting another square peg into a round hole again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whitehorse wrote: »
    Between 3k and 4k maybe. The evening matches under lights make for a great atmosphere. Also three very local teams involved.

Just something I wanted to bring up.
    While the late night under lights might be good in some ways, doesn't it make it very difficult for parents with kids to justify going to support their club?
    1. Its late when the game starts so very late when you get back home (depending on travelling times etc)
    2. It's generally far colder than earlier in the day.

Personally, I think these late kickoffs make it far more difficult for the younger supporters and younger players etc who are the future of the game, get to watch their clubs in action in the biggest games.

Is there a reason so many of the later games are on so late?

Definitely not Drake as I wouldn't even have him on the panel. We haven't had a proper full back in years and there's no stand out obvious candidate in the current squad at the moment. Hopefully, the trials the new management team are holding will unearth someone or else we'll be back to putting another square peg into a round hole again....

If he's playing there for his club how is it putting a square peg in a round hole? He marked Aidan O'Shea last Saturday and Ballina's Treacy a few weeks ago who is a small, fast corner forward. He's well worth his place on the panel based on what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Which show?

Don't know what it's called, it was on about half six.

If he's playing there for his club how is it putting a square peg in a round hole? He marked Aidan O'Shea last Saturday and Ballina's Treacy a few weeks ago who is a small, fast corner forward. He's well worth his place on the panel based on what I've seen.

There's a huge difference between club and county football - loads of good club players who never made the grade at intercounty level. That's the case in every county. If you think Drake is capable of facing the likes of Geaney, Clifford, Comer or any of the Dublin forwards, then I can only hope that your real name is not James Horan. Drake has had more than enough chances at intercounty level and is neither good enough, fast enough, skillful enough, strong enough or have the ability to be considered for further selection. It's time to cut some players from the panel who are never going to make the grade. Drake should be one of those cuts (but whether he will depends on how much his brother in law can influence that decision).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

There's a huge difference between club and county football - loads of good club players who never made the grade at intercounty level. That's the case in every county. If you think Drake is capable of facing the likes of Geaney, Clifford, Comer or any of the Dublin forwards, then I can only hope that your real name is not James Horan. Drake has had more than enough chances at intercounty level and is neither good enough, fast enough, skillful enough, strong enough or have the ability to be considered for further selection. It's time to cut some players from the panel who are never going to make the grade. Drake should be one of those cuts (but whether he will depends on how much his brother in law can influence that decision).

Who's his brother in Law?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement