Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Blackjack wrote: »
    Who's his brother in Law?.

Andy Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

BandMember wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between club and county football - loads of good club players who never made the grade at intercounty level. That's the case in every county. If you think Drake is capable of facing the likes of Geaney, Clifford, Comer or any of the Dublin forwards, then I can only hope that your real name is not James Horan. Drake has had more than enough chances at intercounty level and is neither good enough, fast enough, skillful enough, strong enough or have the ability to be considered for further selection. It's time to cut some players from the panel who are never going to make the grade. Drake should be one of those cuts (but whether he will depends on how much his brother in law can influence that decision).

If you think Drake isn't strong enough or fast enough for intercounty we will have to cut 90% of the panel for next year. We been repeatedly exposed for not having a commanding physical presence in the full back line. Drake would give us that at least.

Edit: I don't think he has been given much of a chance in defence. He keeps being brought on as some auxiliary forward which is not his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    If you think Drake isn't strong enough or fast enough for intercounty we will have to cut 90% of the panel for next year. We been repeatedly exposed for not having a commanding physical presence in the full back line. Drake would give us that at least.

Completely wrong. Correct. Completely wrong.

Look, I don't want to get into a big row about it. Given your club allegiance, there's a strong possibility that you either know the guy or are related to him so I will respect that, but you must acknowledge that it is influencing your opinion.

FYI He has been played in defence before and been absolutely skinned for pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Edit: I don't think he has been given much of a chance in defence. He keeps being brought on as some auxiliary forward which is not his position.

this

(but whether he will depends on how much his brother in law can influence that decision).
    Who's his brother in Law?.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Andy Moran

FFS. Are we back to peddaling this player power bull**** again?. Some people would want to get a grip and stop reading Brehany and giving credence to twitter trolls.

• Advertisement

FFS. Are we back to peddaling this player power bull**** again?. Some people would want to get a grip and stop reading Brehany and giving credence to twitter trolls.

Um, I wasn't intending to do that to be honest - so apologies if it came across that way. There was a slight element of sarcasm (along with a nod to the inmates running the asylum BS that was doing the rounds under the previous management) in my comment which may have been lost in translation. Sorry! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Drake is neither strong enough

I'm not a fan of the guy at all but in fairness I reckon he makes the grade in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Completely wrong. Correct. Completely wrong.

Look, I don't want to get into a big row about it. Given your club allegiance, there's a strong possibility that you either know the guy or are related to him so I will respect that, but you must acknowledge that it is influencing your opinion.

FYI He has been played in defence before and been absolutely skinned for pace.

I'm not from Ballaghaderreen and don't know the lad at all. But I'll leave it at that. If you think Drake lacks pace there's no point debating this further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'm not a fan of the guy at all but in fairness I reckon he makes the grade in this category.

And is one of the fastest guys in the panel also

@RedDevil55: We'll shake hands and leave it at that so. I have no wish to argue or fall out with anyone here. Just offering my thoughts and opinion based on what I've seen.

Now, what's the next topic on the agenda lads? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ladies football?

Sorry.

I was only answering your question.:)

I was only answering your question.:)

Ah I know. It wasnt directed at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thee can be a lot of criticism of Drake but he isn’t slow

'I don't think James would come back if he didn't think there was potential for us to win an All-Ireland'

Aidan O’Shea is delighted with James Horan’s return to the Mayo helm.

http://www.the42.ie/aidan-oshea-mayo-james-horan-mayo-2-4277469-Oct2018/

@RedDevil55: We'll shake hands and leave it at that so. I have no wish to argue or fall out with anyone here. Just offering my thoughts and opinion based on what I've seen.

The replay on Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The championship draw is on tonight.

After NY I'd like to see Mayo avoid Galway this time and get an easier run to a Connacht final at least.

I'm sick of seeing Galway in thecQF or SF.

The championship draw is on tonight.

After NY I'd like to see Mayo avoid Galway this time and get an easier run to a Connacht final at least.

I'm sick of seeing Galway in thecQF or SF.

Please God we'll for once get a more favourable draw.

Last few years have been horror shows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Please God we'll for once get a more favourable draw.

Last few years have been horror shows.

We've made them horror shows. ;)
    If lads can hold discipline then might help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Ah i think we would be better to get Galway early rather than in a Connacht final, either way it doesnt matter when we meet them as long as we beat them if we do meet them!

• Advertisement

Interestingly enough there's only been one Galway/Mayo Connacht final this decade and only 2 years we've been in opposite sides of the draw

muddle84 wrote: »
    Ah i think we would be better to get Galway early rather than in a Connacht final, either way it doesnt matter when we meet them as long as we beat them if we do meet them!

At least if we were to lose to them in a Connacht Final it would mean only one back door game til Super 8s.

Anyway nothing we can do about the draw will just have to wait and see what happens!

Isn't Connacht a kinda "fixed" draw in terms of the teams who go to NY and London being diverted through a certain path? I would thought that with us going to NY next year that we'd be getting one of Leitrim/Ros/Sligo with Galway on the other side of things? Maybe it's changed this year, but I'll guess that we'll find out tonight.

The only part that's fixed is who goes to NY and London.

Who they play after that is a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyone anticipate a shortage of tickets for the NY game? Everyone and their dog seems to be going

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Anyone anticipate a shortage of tickets for the NY game? Everyone and their dog seems to be going

Not entirely sure but faik capacity is around 2,000 so quite possible.

Soft draw please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

kippy wrote: »
    Just something I wanted to bring up.
    While the late night under lights might be good in some ways, doesn't it make it very difficult for parents with kids to justify going to support their club?
    1. Its late when the game starts so very late when you get back home (depending on travelling times etc)
    2. It's generally far colder than earlier in the day.

Personally, I think these late kickoffs make it far more difficult for the younger supporters and younger players etc who are the future of the game, get to watch their clubs in action in the biggest games.

Is there a reason so many of the later games are on so late?

Not really tbh. First semi was at 6pm and second at 7:30... I had my 4 year old with me for both games and he was just fine. Well wrapped up and bribed with a bit of chocolate... but there wasn't a bother on him. Took a bit of entertaining at times but such are kids.

He ended up being up later than normal but no major panic. We didn't hang around for ET though.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure but faik capacity is around 2,000 so quite possible.

Thought they squeezed 4,000 in on previous occasions?

Well, they got away by some miracle last time around as there was a very bad crowd congestion incident and it could have proved serious. Anyone I spoke to afterwards who was there were very angry about the shambolic organisation at the ground (there was pretty much none). I hope that they have learned their lessons ahead of what should be a record attendance next May....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As I said, not that sure of capacity and if it is 4,000 then there should be no great problem with tickets I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

PARlance wrote: »
    Not really tbh. First semi was at 6pm and second at 7:30... I had my 4 year old with me for both games and he was just fine. Well wrapped up and bribed with a bit of chocolate... but there wasn't a bother on him. Took a bit of entertaining at times but such are kids.

He ended up being up later than normal but no major panic. We didn't hang around for ET though.
    So you don't think late kickoffs put off the majority of parents with younger kids from going to a match as opposed to afternoon kickoffs?
    Granted there are parents and kids at these matches but I have heard complaints from a lot of parents with respect to the increasing prevalence of late kick offs for major club games.
    I just wonder what the logic is in having kickoffs this late.

I actually think later games work well on a Saturday, given that plenty still do a bit of work on saturday mornings/early afternoons - especially those in trades/working on farms and so on. Means you can spend the day at other things and then have the evening to head to a match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

So you don't think late kickoffs put off the majority of parents with younger kids from going to a match as opposed to afternoon kickoffs?
    Granted there are parents and kids at these matches but I have heard complaints from a lot of parents with respect to the increasing prevalence of late kick offs for major club games.

Throw ins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Throw ins!

More "kick offs" in gaa matches at the minute than throw ins..............

image.jpg

It’s all kicking off now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not really, people find reason to complain about anything. The only other alternative is Sunday games and you would have people saying it's a family day etc.

It's not as if they were late night games. 6pm and 7:30pm is grand imo. As I mentioned, we've a 4yo and 6yo. They go to bed 7:30-8 on school nights. 8-9 at weekends... I don't think a 7:30 throw in would be any real hassle, for any parent, unless they were very young kids.

Leitrim or Roscommon after NY.

Stars aligning for JH.:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Stars aligning for JH.:P
    Fix...only kidding .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Galway in the Connaught final in the Hyde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

naughto wrote: »
    Galway in the Connaught final in the Hyde

A Mayo v Galway Connacht final as it looks to be with that draw tonight would be played in the wind tunnel of Pearse Stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A Mayo v Galway Connacht final as it looks to be with that draw tonight would be played in the wind tunnel of Pearse Stadium

Makin excuses already!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So no Galway until the Connacht final?

Gosh darn it !

What's everyone gonna obsess over for the next 7 months then so? :confused:

ProudDUB wrote: »

Gosh darn it !

Oh, don't worry.......it is Mayo after all...........I'm sure that we'll find something..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Gosh darn it !

Theres always the FBD and Allianz league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh, don't worry.......it is Mayo after all...........I'm sure that we'll find something..... ;)

I'm sure you will. But the bang of fear off this place for 7 months was very entertaining for the rest of us. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Gosh darn it !

Dublin funding and population???!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Dublin funding and population???!!!!
    Something has to be done !

Any question about this evening's game going ahead because of the weather?

Any question about this evening's game going ahead because of the weather?

Well if it keeps spilling rain at the rate of knots it is now I'd say it's a real live possibility.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement