Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

crusier wrote: »
    And that never happened in Mayo! What about yer legend in Limerick?

No punches thrown there from what I remember.

Maybe this kind of thing is normal in Galway club football? I haven't heard the likes of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I've seen my own club contest an all Ireland final. We didn't win, but it is still my most treasured GAA memory because I burst with pride seeing my brother play in Croke Park.

But I suppose none of that matters to anyone unless the cup is called Sam Maguire.

Fully agree, I'd prefer my own club and adopted club winning even a County Title any day of the week myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Enough of the waffle, they all follow the same script and its boring. We shouldn't bother replying. This thread is about Mayo football, not about how superior Galwegians are in their achievements and greatness in the last 30 years on and off the field. 

So who is looking forward to our first county final without Mitchell's in a few years? I'm still undecided who i think will win. Breaffy should be a lot fresher and O'Shea could play holy hell if he goes to the edge of the square, or will Ballintubber be battle hardened from three games in three weeks or be tired and fatigued. Should be a great game of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    No punches thrown there from what I remember.

Maybe this kind of thing is normal in Galway club football? I haven't heard the likes of it before.

In all fairness it is not something that is unique to just Galway. Perhaps less so now with media attention, but I`ve been long enough around the sport to remember when headers going after a referee was practically a national sport.

Btw, that the header in Limerick not getting to throw a punch is hardly a great example. From memory it looked as if it took half an army to make sure he didn`t get the chance.

charlie14 wrote: »
    In all fairness it is not something that is unique to just Galway. Perhaps less so now with media attention, but I`ve been long enough around the sport to remember when headers going after a referee was practically a national sport.

Btw, that the header in Limerick not getting to throw a punch is hardly a great example. From memory it looked as if it took half an army to make sure he didn`t get the chance.

From what I remember he was up shouting at the ref before stewards got to him. Unlike say the 2010 Leinster final when the fans actually swung for the ref. That's all I was trying to say.

Anyway that will be the last time I respond to that particular poster who seems intent on trolling this thread at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

muddle84 wrote: »
    Enough of the waffle, they all follow the same script and its boring. We shouldn't bother replying. This thread is about Mayo football, not about how superior Galwegians are in their achievements and greatness in the last 30 years on and off the field. 

So who is looking forward to our first county final without Mitchell's in a few years? I'm still undecided who i think will win. Breaffy should be a lot fresher and O'Shea could play holy hell if he goes to the edge of the square, or will Ballintubber be battle hardened from three games in three weeks or be tired and fatigued. Should be a great game of ball.

Yeah it's a hard one to call.Ballintubber must be favourites and will certainly be battle hardened.

Hard to know how big a factor the relative freshness/fatigue of the two teams will play.

If Aidan is put in at the top of the house I can see him causing a lot of problems.Cathal Hallinan has impressed at full back and Gary Loftus was outstanding in the replay.

Happy out anyway as I think I'll be in the Byrne's Babes entourage heading stateside in May.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah it's a hard one to call.Ballintubber must be favourites and will certainly be battle hardened.

Hard to know how big a factor the relative freshness/fatigue of the two teams will play.

If Aidan is put in at the top of the house I can see him causing a lot of problems.Cathal Hallinan has impressed at full back and Gary Loftus was outstanding in the replay.

Happy out anyway as I think I'll be in the Byrne's Babes entourage heading stateside in May.

Tubber as well, something about their never say die/bit of luck this year. Breaffy will need it all to go well too this year.
    Am gutted to be missing it.

50:50 game IMO. After such a huge win last weekend, it will be difficult for Tubber to come down of that high and get focused in just 7 days. It's really set up for Breaffy to spoil the party.

Coming from a rural part of Mayo myself I have great admiration for the way Ballintubber continuously get to the business end of the championship, despite their smaller pick. I'll go for Tubber to win by a point or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Our county have also won senior inter county titles, our ladies winning 4 in 5 years.

I've seen Mayo claim minor and U21 all Irelands.

I've seen Crossmolina, Ballina, Westport and Carnacon win all Ireland titles.

I've seen my own club contest an all Ireland final. We didn't win, but it is still my most treasured GAA memory because I burst with pride seeing my brother play in Croke Park.

But I suppose none of that matters to anyone unless the cup is called Sam Maguire.

Don't waste your breath or typing time Martina. You know the type. He or she thinks they are being so so smart, in a "that told him" kind of way. But we know they are just really really bitter.
    And I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A final Breaffy should be winning because they had a few weeks to prepare and rest. Tubber have come through two high competitive and bruising encounters that went to extra time and a week recovery would be tough for a county team nevermind a club team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd fancy Tubber tbh.

A final Breaffy should be winning because they had a few weeks to prepare and rest. Tubber have come through two high competitive and bruising encounters that went to extra time and a week recovery would be tough for a county team nevermind a club team.

Breaffy have a great chance but the standard in the Mitchels Ballintubber semi finals was at a different level to anything I've seen Breaffy play to thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Breaffy have a great chance but the standard in the Mitchels Ballintubber semi finals was at a different level to anything I've seen Breaffy play to thus far.

Under normal circumstances Ballintubber are about a 6 point better team than Breaffy. The best two club teams in Mayo are Tubber and Mitchels and the best chance of Mayo Connacht winner this November is Tubber but due to 3 games in 3 weeks they could be caught out by a fresher Breaffy on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Sometimes the advantage is with the team that played recently or got some extra games. Definitely makes you sharper and as the saying goes, games are better than five training sessions! Look at Mayo getting to the All-Ireland through the back door two years running - didn't work out last year but the point still stands.

Gonna be a good contest but I'd go with Ballintubber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sometimes the advantage is with the team that played recently or got some extra games. Definitely makes you sharper and as the saying goes, games are better than five training sessions! Look at Mayo getting to the All-Ireland through the back door two years running - didn't work out last year but the point still stands.

Injuries could be a problem but if you didn’t pick up injuries then it might not make that much difference . Though you are almost certain to have picked up some injuries .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Mayo in 2016,17 was one of the most conditioned county sides around and the more games they played in a short space of time the better they got. Ballintubber on the other hand are a club side that will be relying on the conditioned county players to get them over the line and if the two O'Connors perform to the best of their ability this weekend it will probably be enough to beat Breaffy.

Mayo in 2016,17 was one of the most conditioned county sides around and the more games they played in a short space of time the better they got. Ballintubber on the other hand are a club side that will be relying on the conditioned county players to get them over the line and if the two O'Connors perform to the best of their ability this weekend it will probably be enough to beat Breaffy.

It's all relative though. In 16/17 Mayo were playing against bigger, conditioned intercounty teams in 70 minute games so it's more physically demanding. Castlebar won the county title last year despite playing a semi final replay the Wednesday previous.

As long as their heads are right and they don't think the hard work is done, I think Tubber will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Any opinions on how the county final will go?

Ballintubber would have to favoured to reclaim the Moclair Cup.

Most neutrals would I imagine hope Breaffy can finally claim a county title.

The intermediate final preceding it should be worth a look.

Belmullet v Burrishoole

The Doc and Chris Barrett going head to head.

These Saturday night gigs are just super duper!:D

Would be nice to see Breaffy lift the cup. Would be a nice lift for the area which has gone through tough times with the death of David Gavin.

djPSB wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Breaffy lift the cup. Would be a nice lift for the area which has gone through tough times with the death of David Gavin.

It would be nice indeed.

The area has had more than it's fair share of tragedy.

TBH as a neutral who lives only the other side of town I'd be glad to see them claim their first Moclair cup.

They must be ravenous to claim their first county title.

Looking forward to the intermediate final too.A good curtain-raiser.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It would be nice indeed.

The area has had more than it's fair share of tragedy.

TBH as a neutral who lives only the other side of town I'd be glad to see them claim their first Moclair cup.

They must be ravenous to claim their first county title.

Looking forward to the intermediate final too.A good curtain-raiser.

Have Tubber won the county before?

Mullet to win the intermediate.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »

They certainly have Yop.

First one under James Horan's stewardship before he got the Mayo gig first time round.

yop wrote: »

Tubber have won it 3 times - 2010, 2011 and 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

yop wrote:

Nice to see you are up to date with the counties club scene. Some sunshine supporters wouldn't be.

crusier wrote: »
    Nice to see you are up to date with the counties club scene. Some sunshine supporters wouldn't be.

Thanks for the input honey.

yop wrote:
    Thanks for the input honey.

No problem suger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Horan couldn’t do it before.....what’s different this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Horan couldn’t do it before.....what’s different this time?

The players

You tell us, you keep trolling this thread, get warnings and come back again.... Hows that going?

• Advertisement

Asked an honest question..Do you have an answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Asked an honest question..Do you have an answer?

Yea I think they did give an answer, the players.

Not to mention that Horan himself may have developed new ideas and learned.

Nothing from 2014 Is exactly the same in 2019.

But I think you know that already.

Think rochford was badly treated and should have been given another year.Gettin the team to two all Ireland’s out of three was fair goin. That’s just my opinion.
    Not surprised he was snapped up by another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Think rochford was badly treated and should have been given another year.Gettin the team to two all Ireland’s out of three was fair goin. That’s just my opinion.
    Not surprised he was snapped up by another county.

That's hardly an unpopular opinion - most in the county would think that.

However it's in the past now. Horan was the man most wanted and thankfully he took the job. What's different? The squad, some players have come through and the rest are five years older. We'll soon find out how Horan has evolved as a coach. It'll be interesting to see where we're at come the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cora's on the Late Late for all ye Mayo fans who may have nowt to do tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Cora's on the Late Late for all ye Mayo fans who may have nowt to do tonight.

Tubs is a spin professional, knows how to avoid the right questions. Think I'll give it a miss

• Advertisement

Tubs is a spin professional, knows how to avoid the right questions. Think I'll give it a miss

One hundred percent agree.He is incapable like many in RTE of asking the tough questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Wouldn’t it be great if he asked what in the name of fcuk were ye at up there in mayo and what was that player welfare sh1te about.put her on the spot.
    He won’t though hel boll1x around the topic

Has Cora just announced her retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭notuslimited

She said something but ultimately said nothing. Still none the wiser about the trainwreck. Maybe she had one eye on the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Has Cora just announced her retirement?

She did that a few months ago!

• Advertisement

Person with book appears in late late book show.
    Her career is over
    Best of luck to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Obviously a bit of conflict in the camp and there may have been an overreaction especially when dealing with the usual thicko attitude in Ireland. Cora is off to Australia and taking whatever opportunity arises. Fair play to her but as for the book itself hardly worth buying to read the usual ****e players come up with. There are very few good Irish sports books and the majority are thrown out for the Christmas market. It solves the "What will I get Uncle Paddy" problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I doubt she'll sell many now tbh, she should've bowed out gracefully, her book would've sold well. I'll not be buying it

I doubt she'll sell many now tbh, she should've bowed out gracefully, her book wouldn't sold well. I'll not be buying it

Will it be in the fiction section or the sports section or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Logged on to mayogaatv enetered card number etc to buy the games and for the last 5 mins all im seeing is the message "Please wait while your payment is being processed" :mad: Anyone else?

Logged on to mayogaatv enetered card number etc to buy the games and for the last 5 mins all im seeing is the message "Please wait while your payment is being processed" :mad: Anyone else?

Payment went through for me.

Did you get an email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do people need score updates? My interest in the intermediate is pretty minimal but I’m here anyway...

Do people need score updates? My interest in the intermediate is pretty minimal but I’m here anyway...

Yes please

Not heading up until later and will watch back at a later time

Belmullet leading 1-4 to 0-1

2-5 to 0-1 now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement