Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Incase anybody forgets (I almost did), window for renewal of season tickets closes next Wednesday 31st Oct.

Cheers! Forgot about it!!
    Having a good coverage of home games now this year will be a good thing for people heading for the 60%.
    I have the club+, got to 4 games so possibly didn't utilize it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody any idea when we're likely to get the fixture dates for next year's Connacht championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody any idea when we're likely to get the fixture dates for next year's Connacht championship?

The master fixtures list is usually published around the beginning of November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

https://ahrefcomeon.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/mayo-trial-teams-from-saturday-morning-in-mchale-park-enjoy/

List of players involved in horans trials this weekend. Great to see so many given a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

muddle84 wrote: »
    https://ahrefcomeon.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/mayo-trial-teams-from-saturday-morning-in-mchale-park-enjoy/

List of players involved in horans trials this weekend. Great to see so many given a shot.

Is there much sense in needing to trial Colm Boyle,Donal Vaughan,Aidan O Shea,Brendan Harrison,Keith Higgins,Paddy Durcan,Andy Moran,David Clarke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Is there much sense in needing to trial Colm Boyle,Donal Vaughan,Aidan O Shea,Brendan Harrison,Keith Higgins,Paddy Durcan,Andy Moran,David Clarke?

You'd have to wonder if Aiden O'Se had a bad trial, would he be dropped? I don't think so. However, those lads might be there as a way to judge lads coming in, i.e. See how they cope against the likes of o'se as that's the standard they will be up against at IC level

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You'd have to wonder if Aiden O'Se had a bad trial, would he be dropped? I don't think so. However, those lads might be there as a way to judge lads coming in, i.e. See how they cope against the likes of o'se as that's the standard they will be up against at IC level
    Might be no harm to give him a kick up the backside :eek:

And let him know he is not picking the team from now on :D only kidding ( i think )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

To see how the actual lads on trial fare against thkthe I guess
    Let’s the bee backroom team get to know them
    Probably helps build a bit more squad spirit too

It’s great to see this happen so early . We have a might run at the year next year ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

km79 wrote: »
    To see how the actual lads on trial fare against thkthe I guess

Yes I'm guessing he was looking to select six fairly evenly matched teams to facilitate proper competitive games. And it would be more difficult to balance if it was all newbies or fringe players...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Were the trials an open invitation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

statto25 wrote: »
    Did you not get yours;) only kidding .

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I think clubs had an opportunity to nominate players to go forward.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

glack wrote: »
    I think clubs had an opportunity to nominate players to go forward.
    All clubs nominated. We sent 2 lads.

yop wrote: »
    All clubs nominated. We sent 2 lads.

Ballintubber exempt?

blinding wrote: »
    Did you not get yours;) only kidding .

Long retired due to chocolate joints! I'm actually waiting on the call for the final selectors job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The big names are probably just lads still based around Mayo and who are free on the day to give a bit of balance to the trials, and - as others have said - provide a standard to measure others against. They're not actually on trial themselves

Its a good idea
    Ballintubber exempt?

Absolutely, they've much more important things to worry about at present

Horan will know them all anyway as its his home club

jr86 wrote: »
    The big names are probably just lads still based around Mayo and who are free on the day to give a bit of balance to the trials, and - as others have said - provide a standard to measure others against. They're not actually on trial themselves

With that level of comfort comes complacency though. Should all be on trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

yop wrote: »
    With that level of comfort comes complacency though. Should all be on trial.

Kevin McLoughlins stag was on I think so that would have taken a nice few away. Lee Keegan was on about it in some interview that he was disappointed to be missing the trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

The Queens of appeal are at it again.
    Carnacons Fiona McHale and Doreann Hughes both got reds in the semi final vs Moy Davitts.
    McHale for an elbow into the face of a Moy Davitts player and Hughes for swearing at an official.
    Both received the minimum 1 month ban by Mayo co.board.
    Hughes isn't contesting the suspension but McHale is and made an appeal to the Co. Board on Friday which was turned down.
    She's now going to Connacht LGFA to have her suspension overturned in time for Saturdays Connacht Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Is Cillian Finn Johns son? McMenamin any relation to Colm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Green&Red wrote: »
    McMenamin any relation to Colm?

Colms nephew, Johns son. Fine player, nerves got better of him in Intermediate final but still scored a fine point from close to the touchline. He has plenty ability, hope he does well

ureds wrote: »
    The Queens of appeal are at it again.
    Carnacons Fiona McHale and Doreann Hughes both got reds in the semi final vs Moy Davitts.
    McHale for an elbow into the face of a Moy Davitts player and Hughes for swearing at an official.
    Both received the minimum 1 month ban by Mayo co.board.
    Hughes isn't contesting the suspension but McHale is and made an appeal to the Co. Board on Friday which was turned down.
    She's now going to Connacht LGFA to have her suspension overturned in time for Saturdays Connacht Final.
    She won her appeal last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

ureds wrote: »
    She won her appeal last night.

They are good at winning their appeals.

They are good at winning their appeals.

The Connacht LGFA are as big a joke as Carnacon. Blatantly go to hurt someone and then get your ban overturned...some setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The Connacht LGFA are as big a joke as Carnacon. Blatantly go to hurt someone and then get your ban overturned...some setup.

The GAA is a joke with discipline, sure see all the stuff going on at clubs.
    I suppose at least they are consistent.

They need to ban some clubs out of championship and uphold the bans for players, even increase them where the appeal is lost to stop all this sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It`s a real mystery why there is such a shortage of GAA referees countrywide :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They need a rugby style system for disciple issues.

Can't make the game in Enniscrone tomorrow,presumably it'll be on MWR.

Hopefully Ballintubber will get over the line.

Does the Club+ ticket work for tomorrow's game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Does the Club+ ticket work for tomorrow's game?

Nope....only works for games within mayo.

Ballintubber 3-1 up at half-time. Sounds like a cracker.:rolleyes:

And Tubber won 6-5 in the end

And Tubber won 6-5 in the end

By the sounds of it they scrapped over the line.Nigel Reape called it a harsh red card?

seligehgit wrote: »
    By the sounds of it they scrapped over the line.Nigel Reape called it a harsh red card?

The next one should be handy enough for them you would imagine with Clann and Corofin in the other semi, but to beat the winner of that one they would need to step it up a lot from today`s performance going by reports

It was a dour game. Tourlestrane put 13 men behind the ball for most of the game but it has to be said Ballintubber did the same for periods too. I lost count of the number of turnovers. Tubbers kicking in the first half was poor with at least 5 wides. Tourlestrane made better use of the strong wind in the second half. Sending off was harsh and deserved a yellow. Ref was very poor. Didn't let any kind of over eager contact go without blowing for a free which made a bad game worse. Gave Dillon a yellow for a high tackle and didn't even check a Tourlestrane man 2 mins later for the same thing. Something tells me next week will be the same in terms of tactics.

Get of out jail card already used in the Connacht championship by Tubber, not often you win many if any provincial championship games by scoring just 0-6 (0-1 from play)

It was a dour game. Tourlestrane put 13 men behind the ball for most of the game but it has to be said Ballintubber did the same for periods too. I lost count of the number of turnovers. Tubbers kicking in the first half was poor with at least 5 wides. Tourlestrane made better use of the strong wind in the second half. Sending off was harsh and deserved a yellow. Ref was very poor. Didn't let any kind of over eager contact go without blowing for a free which made a bad game worse. Gave Dillon a yellow for a high tackle and didn't even check a Tourlestrane man 2 mins later for the same thing. Something tells me next week will be the same in terms of tactics.

My Dad, who's been following football for over 60 years, says it was probably the worst game he ever saw. And he expects Tubber's next game to be even worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Any one have any more information on the names that where dropped/included
    This was posted on another site

naughto wrote: »
    Any one have any more information on the names that where dropped/included
    This was posted on another site

I'd be surprised if some of them are gone tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

1 point from play, deary me

I'd expect Corofin to make bits of them to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Corofin need to beat Clann na nGael first and their scoring in the two Galway finals v Mountbellew/Moylough wasn't very high either.

Corofin need to beat Clann na nGael first and their scoring in the two Galway finals v Mountbellew/Moylough wasn't very high either.

Mountbellew/Moylough set up very defensively in both games but in the replay Corofin had figured out a way to negate that. I`m not sure Clann na Gael could even replicate that style if they try, or if from what Corofin learned from the replay, it would work.

Tourlestrane and Mountbellew setup in the same way against their respective teams. If Tubber and Corofin meet I can't see it being a defensive game so for me while Corofin would win it, it won't be a hammering as you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tourlestrane and Mountbellew setup in the same way against their respective teams. If Tubber and Corofin meet I can't see it being a defensive game so for me while Corofin would win it, it won't be a hammering as you suggest.

Ian Burke is also out injured for Corofin. Won't play in the semi final and probably the final as well if they get there. That said they are better set up than most to cope.

if its a Corofin Tubber final i'd be surprised if Tubber aren't defensive in their tactics/game plan. Corofin from what i see only hammer poorly organized teams.

if its a Corofin Tubber final i'd be surprised if Tubber aren't defensive in their tactics/game plan. Corofin from what i see only hammer poorly organized teams.

If it is and Corofin and Tubber go for a shoot out then I would rate their chances as poor.They will need to keep it tight at the back, but to do over-so will only draw Corofin on them.

Clann on the other hand I believe haven`t any other option but to attempt to shoot it out with their team set up. Plus the fact that if the Div 2 league final and the Super 8`s showed anything it`s that Roscommon as a county are very short on decent defenders.

charlie14 wrote: »
    If it is and Corofin and Tubber go for a shoot out then I would rate their chances as poor.They will need to keep it tight at the back, but to do over-so will only draw Corofin on them.

Clann on the other hand I believe haven`t any other option but to attempt to shoot it out with their team set up. Plus the fact that if the Div 2 league final and the Super 8`s showed anything it`s that Roscommon as a county are very short on decent defenders.

McStay rarely set Roscommon up with defence in mind though any time he did they produced their best results. From what i understand Clann will be missing 3 key defenders for that Corofin game which won't help their chances of causing an upset.

At the request of the Mayo LGFA delegates,Peter Leahy was given a two year extention to his contract which now ends in 2021.
    Leahy was in attendance at last night's meeting where he gave a talk on plans for the future and also spoke about the group who left the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

ureds wrote:
    At the request of the Mayo LGFA delegates,Peter Leahy was given a two year extention to his contract which now ends in 2021. Leahy was in attendance at last night's meeting where he gave a talk on plans for the future and also spoke about the group who left the panel.

Well done to the delegates for backing him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement