Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It would be a very interesting championship if you took them out of it. I suspect Castlebar, Ballintubber, Bridgets, CNG, Annaghdown and MM are all very closely matched and would have a reasonable All Ireland shot in a down year (no Crokes or Corofin). Dylan McHugh couldnt get a start today, won player of the Kilmacud 7s and would make most D3 and D4 county sides, its the depth that makes them great without many standout names.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That initial ten minutes in the second half killed Ballintubber.Some really crucial turnovers.Cillian missed a crucial free to close the gap to the minimum.Two awful kickouts by Brendan Walsh.

Corofin are a class act,as good as many inter county teams.Their kickpassing is a joy to behold.Their ability to keep possession whilst probing for opening is so similar in style to Dublin,frustrating to play against.However Ballintubber oft played with only Cillian in the Corofin half.

I am as mystified as ever how on earth Molloy is not starting for Galway?He's an exceptional player,I presume he got MOTM?

Simply laughable to say Corofin were rubbish in the first half,Ballintubber made a top top team look ordinary.Alan Dillon rolled back the years,very lucky he did not receive an early red.Jason Gibbons had a stormer.Defensively they were very good.

Cillian's challenge in the second half deserved a yellow at minimum from my viewpoint.Young Ciaran Gavin has a lot of potential albeit he at times could have released the ball quicker.Kudos to young Jamsie Finnerty,he took his goal very well and has a bright future.

Well done Corofin hope you guys finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    These late winter days on heavy pitches are always ones they look like they'll be caught out, like Mountbellew this year and Crokes 2 years back. Doesn't suit their style at all. The grass there at McHale Park today looked as if it hadn't been mown since August.

No doubt MacHale Park is a heavy pitch but on a better playing surface e.g Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park I don't think that game today would have played out much different. First half was more about the way Ballintubber set themselves up but the game they were playing is a high energy one and club teams don't have conditioning to keep that type of game going for 60 mins. Once Corofin scored their 2nd goal today (rather lucky one at that) there was no way back for the home side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seligehgit wrote: »
    That initial ten minutes in the second half killed Ballintubber.Some really crucial turnovers.Cillian missed a crucial free to close the gap to the minimum.Two awful kickouts by Brendan Walsh.

Corofin are a class act,as good as many inter county teams.Their kickpassing is a joy to behold.Their ability to keep possession whilst probing for opening is so similar in style to Dublin,frustrating to play against.However Ballintubber oft played with only Cillian in the Corofin half.

I am as mystified as ever how on earth Molloy is not starting for Galway?He's an exceptional player,I presume he got MOTM?

Simply laughable to say Corofin were rubbish in the first half,Ballintubber made a top top team look ordinary.Alan Dillon rolled back the years,very lucky he did not receive an early red.Jason Gibbons had a stormer.Defensively they were very good.

Cillian's challenge in the second half deserved a yellow at minimum from my viewpoint.Young Ciaran Gavin has a lot of potential albeit he at times could have released the ball quicker.Kudos to young Jamsie Finnerty,he took his goal very well and has a bright future.

Ian Burke got MOTM. Thought myself it should have been Molloy, but when you are an All Star and you goal with virtually your first touch that is the way these things go.

No doubt MacHale Park is a heavy pitch but on a better playing surface e.g Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park I don't think that game today would have played out much different. First half was more about the way Ballintubber set themselves up but the game they were playing is a high energy one and club teams don't have conditioning to keep that type of game going for 60 mins. Once Corofin scored their 2nd goal today (rather lucky one at that) there was no way back for the home side.

For a while I thought some of the things Burke does are just down to luck. Like the goal it`s simply that he has superb vision and movement with an eye for the slightest slip where he pounces and punishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Why would it be worrying? they took a long time to get going because they were playing the Mayo champions in MacHale Park who came with a game plan that made them difficult to score against. In the end Corofin was good value for their 4 point win and will have learnt far more from today's game than the semi final win.

Ok ,so well done ballintubber they managed to stop Corofin scoring in the first half I’m sure they will be delighted with themselves tonight.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Ok ,so well done ballintubber they managed to stop Corofin scoring in the first half I’m sure they will be delighted with themselves tonight.

You can be damn sure they will.A relatively small rural club with a limited pick in terms of players gave a good account of themselves in a Connacht club football final against one of club football's preeminent clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

As a galway man I have to say there is a couple of Galway posters on this thread today who are bad winners and that’s worse then being bad losers . Well done ballintubber put it up for long period today . No shame in losing by 4 points to this team as there as good as club team as I have seen.

You can be damn sure they will.A relatively small rural club with a limited pick in terms of players gave a good account of themselves in a Connacht club football final against one of club football's preeminent clubs.

Yes but they are Mayo champions!
    Showed far too much respect to Corofin today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

charlie14 wrote: »
    Ian Burke got MOTM. Thought myself it should have been Molloy, but when you are an All Star and you goal with virtually your first touch that is the way these things go.

Galway Bay FM gave it to Molloy.

Molloy is still very young & Corofin have been very successful since he came on the scene. That has limited his chances to play for Galway during the league. He needs a league campaign for Galway to see if he can step up to that level & claim a spot on the team. Dylan Wall is another of the Corofin players in that category. Corofin's success in recent years has hindered Galway a lot in my opinion. Ian Burke is 25 and hadn't really played regularly for Galway before this year. He didn't make the bench v Mayo in 2017 and was just brought in as a shake-up to the team after they lost to Roscommon. Once he started playing regularly, he got an all star. Mike Farragher is another who had probably suffered at county level because of Corofin's success.

Hopefully next year, Galway & Corofin might come to some arrangement to allow these Corofin lads an opportunity during the league. They must be frustrated themselves with the situation.

Molloy is still very young & Corofin have been very successful since he came on the scene. That has limited his chances to play for Galway during the league. He needs a league campaign for Galway to see if he can step up to that level & claim a spot on the team. Dylan Wall is another of the Corofin players in that category. Corofin's success in recent years has hindered Galway a lot in my opinion. Ian Burke is 25 and hadn't really played regularly for Galway before this year. He didn't make the bench v Mayo in 2017 and was just brought in as a shake-up to the team after they lost to Roscommon. Once he started playing regularly, he got an all star. Mike Farragher is another who had probably suffered at county level because of Corofin's success.

Hopefully next year, Galway & Corofin might come to some arrangement to allow these Corofin lads an opportunity during the league. They must be frustrated themselves with the situation.

Galway Bay got it right imo.
    I was very impressed with Molloy last year. Even then he looked to me well able to step up.to county level even then. I`m not sure it was just club success that prevented some of the Corofin lads no playing county. Rumours were that the style of football Galway were playing before Kevin Walshtook over just didn`t appeal to them. Even the first year Walsh was in charge, that some of them turned down invitations to join up. That Dylan Ward does look to have serious potential alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I reckon Galway and Corofin will eventually come to a deal alright

Their dominance is showing zero signs of stopping so this could be a problem for a lot of years in the near future

They'll eventually have to give guys like Molloy some league game time

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Yes but they are Mayo champions!
    Showed far too much respect to Corofin today.

As I said Castlebar always find a way to go toe to toe with corofin and get under their skin. Tubber just don't have the depth to deal with them. Guys coming off the bench for Corofin would be key players for ballintubber it's just how it is

As Hulk Hands said it would be very interesting if they get caught in Galway some year to see how the new Galway Champions would get on. I'd say Mountbellew and Ballintubber would match up quite closely

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done to Ballintubber and Corofin, think 'Tubber will be disappointed with the final score, some dirty mistakes caused some of the Corofin scores but the bench and experience showed in the end.
    Ian Burke brought a lot of calm and lovely movement when he came on. Molloy was the best player on the pitch, was like a man playing on a hard summer pitch with his energy up and down the pitch.
    Hard slog on that pitch for both teams.

Jamsie Finnerty looks like a player with potential.

Lovely day for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

5 games in five weeks for any round 2 winner that reaches the last 8 and AI semi final on the week after round 3 of the super 8s where is the sense to repeat that schedule again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Isnt one important fixture missing.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Isnt one important fixture missing.

Indeed.:)

On the same weekend as the Galway London quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

seligehgit wrote:
    On the same weekend as the Galway London quarter final.

Feckin better be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Andy Moran has committed to 2019, which is good news but the following line from the RTE piece did not exactly fill me with confidence, hopefully in reality it's a bit of an overstatement
    The 2017 Footballer of the Year was one of the standout players in a trial match held by the new Mayo manager recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Andy Moran has committed to 2019, which is good news but the following line from the RTE piece did not exactly fill me with confidence, hopefully in reality it's a bit of an overstatement

Would you prefer he had a bad game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jj72 wrote: »
    Would you prefer he had a bad game?

No it's just that when you hear that your veteran who has proved everything to everyone is one of the standout players at a trial then it might cause you to wonder about the guys playing in the forwards who want to stake a claim on a place.

As I said hopefully it's overstated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It was widely reported that weekend that he was the class act of the trials.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No it's just that when you hear that your veteran who has proved everything to everyone is one of the standout players at a trial then it might cause you to wonder about the guys playing in the forwards who want to stake a claim on a place.

Wouldn't worry about it tbh. You'll sometime find at trials that some lads freeze or end up not performing due to been on the same page as the likes of Andy. If they were to take Andy out and these didn't show then I'd be more concerned.

But I do get what you are saying, you'd nearly expect a 20-22 yr old to be shining not a 35 (right age?) yr old

yop wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about it tbh. You'll sometime find at trials that some lads freeze or end up not performing due to been on the same page as the likes of Andy. If they were to take Andy out and these didn't show then I'd be more concerned.

But I do get what you are saying, you'd nearly expect a 20-22 yr old to be shining not a 35 (right age?) yr old

Andy was footballer of the year in 2017...he got it for a reason!

He's talking today about wanting to win the FBD and how round 1 of the NFL is a "massive" game. Why would a 35 year old Andy Moran even need to play in those early season games and surely the FBD and early rounds of the NFL is the time for Horan to experiment with young and new players than going back to the old guard so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

My mate was at the trial game. Apparently Brendan Harrison dropped out last minute so Andy's team had an extra player.

That's a possible mitigating factor but it's not really surprising that Andy was the standout forward on show. Especially when Cillian, Diarmuid, Jason Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin weren't playing.

He's talking today about wanting to win the FBD and how round 1 of the NFL is a "massive" game. Why would a 35 year old Andy Moran even need to play in those early season games and surely the FBD and early rounds of the NFL is the time for Horan to experiment with young and new players than going back to the old guard so soon?

What else is he going to say though. Its just sound bites

I pay very little attention to what players/managers say publicly, it'll always be PR driven

Privately, i'd doubt Andy or any top player gives much consideration to the FBD League in competitive terms. Probably see it as a chance to get back playing again, work on their match fitness and not a whole lot more

I do agree though that these established players shouldn't really be considered for those competitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

jr86 wrote: »

I pay very little attention to what players/managers say publicly, it'll always be PR driven

Privately, i'd doubt Andy or any top player gives much consideration to the FBD League in competitive terms. Probably see it as a chance to get back playing again, work on their match fitness and not a whole lot more.

I do agree though that these established players shouldn't really be considered for those competitions

Were you living under a rock when he kissed the Mayo crest on his jersey after their glorious FBD triump over the Rossies 2 years ago?

I haven't seen such a $hit storm of outrage since the last time Donald Trump insulted a Hollywood A lister's acting. Yes, Robert de Niro, I'm looking at you ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Were you living under a rock when he kissed the Mayo crest on his jersey after their glorious FBD triump over the Rossies 2 years ago?
    Yes but that was the Rossies. And he's from Ballaghaderreen so he hates them even more than the rest of us!

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »

Privately, i'd doubt Andy or any top player gives much consideration to the FBD League in competitive terms. Probably see it as a chance to get back playing again, work on their match fitness and not a whole lot more

Whatever about the NFL which i think will be a mess this year with the new rules i see little sense as to why anyone would talk up the FBD to the media. He would be better off saying its a competition that will blow out the dirty diesel and a first opportunity to look at new players.

Glack, you know little about Andy Moran if you think he hates Roscommon. For one his dad who recently died was a big Roscommon supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

As was Andy himself until he got the minor call up. Some would say a huge one

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

BENDYBINN wrote:
    Andy was footballer of the year in 2017...he got it for a reason!

Dublin had won everything else and the media hacks like to think they know best when everyone else knew it was a token to Mayo

crusier wrote: »
    Dublin had won everything else and the media hacks like to think they know best when everyone else knew it was a token to Mayo

You do know that it's the players themselves who vote on Footballer of The Year and not the Dublin hacks? You do, don't you? Of course you do ! ;)

Nice to see you are up to date with how these things work! :o:o:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Some would say a huge one

Ger Canning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

crusier wrote:

Shouldn't you be writing your letter to santa or getting ready for the toy show?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Like 2010 so :)

It's December tomorrow.

The Toy Show is on tonight.

We Ye are squabbling about Andy Moran.

Again.

Winning awards.

Again.

Altogether now....

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's December tomorrow.

The Toy Show is on tonight.

We Ye are squabbling about Andy Moran.

Again.

Winning awards.

Again.

Altogther now....

Baa humbug.
    **Note to anyone from Roscommon, that does not meant I'm a sheep eating sweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Ah ref has the team sheets from this weekends trials. Liam irwin getting another shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

muddle84 wrote: »
    Ah ref has the team sheets from this weekends trials. Liam irwin getting another shot

What was the story with the tape over the Centre Forward spot?

muddle84 wrote: »
    He's back at home again is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Mayo secretary Dermot Butler has blasted the 'faceless people' who criticised the county board following Stephen Rochford's exit as senior football manager last summer.

In his report to next Sunday's county convention in Kiltimagh, Butler remarks: "Some of the comments on social media, directed at the county board surrounding the departure of Stephen, were totally unnecessary and were by what I would call faceless people who did not know the full facts.

"It never ceases to amaze me that Mayo continually wash their 'dirty linen' in public, would Dublin or Kerry do the same? I doubt it very much.

"I firmly believe that the officers of the board tried their best to deal with the situation that they found themselves in and did so with the best interests of the county in mind."

WTF - Is this guy for real as Rochford went public on this. What does he expect when the ex manager goes public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mayo secretary Dermot Butler has blasted the 'faceless people' who criticised the county board following Stephen Rochford's exit as senior football manager last summer.

In his report to next Sunday's county convention in Kiltimagh, Butler remarks: "Some of the comments on social media, directed at the county board surrounding the departure of Stephen, were totally unnecessary and were by what I would call faceless people who did not know the full facts.

"It never ceases to amaze me that Mayo continually wash their 'dirty linen' in public, would Dublin or Kerry do the same? I doubt it very much.

"I firmly believe that the officers of the board tried their best to deal with the situation that they found themselves in and did so with the best interests of the county in mind."

WTF - Is this guy for real as Rochford went public on this. What does he expect when the ex manager goes public.
    Dissent must be Crushed ! Its just a sign of the Times .:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

yop wrote: »
    He's back at home again is he?

If the team sheet is to be believed then yeah i guess so!

I got confirmation from other sources that one or two other names were actually there so it might be true. (neighbours grandson and other neighbours grandson were on it)

If the rumours about him were true the last time he will need an attitude change.

statto25 wrote: »
    What was the story with the tape over the Centre Forward spot?

Not a notion, maybe it was ahref himself?

Claremorris won the under 21 final

Claremorris 3-14 Westport 2-13

Claremorris won the under 21 final

Claremorris 3-14 Westport 2-13

Great game in AWFUL conditions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement