Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

naughto wrote: »
    Hennelly caf like what’s going on there
    Yeah Vaughan, sos, Horan picking up where he left off, or even setting the clock back to 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Typical Rochford.Oh wait...........be intersting to see how Brian Reape goes. Every year he wasn't selected by various different managers he got better in some people's eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very surprised to see next to any of the more seasoned campaigners togging out on Sunday.

A case of back to the future.

Liking the touch of experimentation up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

km79 wrote:
    Typical Rochford.Oh wait...........be intersting to see how Brian Reape goes. Every year he wasn't selected by various different managers he got better in some people's eyes

Just like Richie did.

Card was very much favoured by Horan under his previous reign. Now Card has got older but pretty much no other full back has stepped forward.

Is Crowe currently on the panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

km79 wrote: »

Reape only turned 22 last month, he's still a work in progress. Nobody is suggesting he's a hybrid of Andy Moran and David Clifford but we are entitled to question why he didn't even make the 35 man panel for the last 2 years.

That's based purely on performances underage and with his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Card was very much favoured by Horan under his previous reign. Now Card has got older but pretty much no other full back has stepped forward.

Is Crowe currently on the panel?

I'm fairly sure he's still on the panel. Would like to see him get a run at full back this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Its fine this time of the year with Hennelly but once Clarke is back then he is relegated to the bench. He is just a disaster under high ball.

Unless Caf has got some pace back, I don't see why he is there as well but it is really early days.

Nice to see some new faces in the forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Standard first game of the year line up.
    Nothing to see here really.

Will be interested in all and sundries feedback from the game re the new experimental rules,outside of the handpass rule I'd be hopeful the others are implementable with lots of assistance by diligent linesmen.Will we see more of an emphasis on good old fashioned high fielding in midfield,a return to the totem pole inside forwards or a reversion to blanket defences,lip service to a more direct game with greater footpassing and lower scoring borefests evidenced by albeit limited data available thus far.I'm hopeful the good intentions of all concerned in the rule changes may be vindicated if given a chance to bed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Cant make it tomorrow sadly. Is it televised at all or are mayo tv about? I know mid west is covering it but just wondering is there any visual options

muddle84 wrote: »
    Cant make it tomorrow sadly. Is it televised at all or are mayo tv about? I know mid west is covering it but just wondering is there any visual options

Mayo GAA TV only cover club fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Listening on MidWest, sounds like a decent start. A bit loose at the back but some decent forward work in the main... Evan Regan sounds like he's playing like Evan Regan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Dean McGovern at full forward marked by Caff is the stand out player for Leitrim going by mid west radio.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Will be interested in all and sundries feedback from the game re the new experimental rules,outside of the handpass rule I'd be hopeful the others are implementable with lots of assistance by diligent linesmen.Will we see more of an emphasis on good old fashioned high fielding in midfield,a return to the totem pole inside forwards or a reversion to blanket defences,lip service to a more direct game with greater footpassing and lower scoring borefests evidenced by albeit limited data available thus far.I'm hopeful the good intentions of all concerned in the rule changes may be vindicated if given a chance to bed in.

Friend in work has a nephew on the Monaghan inter-county panel and one thing he's noticed that's been highlighted with the handpass rule is the atrocious standard of the kick passing skills of many modern footballers. We've raised a generation of superfit athletes but some of the basic skills have been sadly neglected too.

Terrible second half

Friend in work has a nephew on the Monaghan inter-county panel and one thing he's noticed that's been highlighted with the handpass rule is the atrocious standard of the kick passing skills of many modern footballers. We've raised a generation of superfit athletes but some of the basic skills have been sadly neglected too.

This is what makes Dublin stand out from the crowd. Their kick passing is exemplary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

km79 wrote: »
    Terrible second half

Whats the score? Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gone to a penalty shootout

which Mayo won, sparing blushes all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

With all due respect we shouldn't be allowing a team like Leitrim to rack up that many scores against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

With all due respect we shouldn't be allowing a team like Leitrim to rack up that many scores against us.

Its thd fbd league. We won. There seemed to be alot of good performances from the new names which i imagine is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Was it my imagination or did the Leitrim lad who kicked the equaliser not just get a red card immediately beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Lukekul wrote: »
    Was it my imagination or did the Leitrim lad who kicked the equaliser not just get a red card immediately beforehand?

Commentators on Midwest seemed to think so, though they put out a theory right was using a wallet that made it look like a red from the other side when a yellow was shown. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Lukekul wrote: »
    Going by radio coverage he was involved in that score yes. He was walking to the sideline when he turned around and just started playing again. Mad carry on altogether.
    A really blatant disregard for the game and the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Call me Al wrote: »
    Going by radio coverage he was involved in that score yes. He was walking to the sideline when he turned around and just started playing again. Mad carry on altogether.
    A really blatant disregard for the game and the referee.

Yeah he seemed like he was walking off with the head down, got a shout for a pass and carried on!

Might be a tricky fixture to navigate as the Club All Star awards are on next Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

seligehgit wrote: »
    Might be a tricky fixture to navigate as the Club All Star awards are on next Saturday night.

'Club All-Star Awards...???
    I've definitely heard it all now.
    What genius thought up this idea.?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

The mayo news about 10 or more years ago.
    Awards for best club players and it's is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

washman3 wrote: »
    'Club All-Star Awards...???
    I've definitely heard it all now.
    What genius thought up this idea.?

So you think it's odd that a county has an awards night to honour and recognise club players ?

So you think it's odd that a county has an awards night to honour and recognise club players ?

Do I think it's odd.? yes definitely.! In fact I find it ridiculous if not laughable.
    I can understand young,up and coming stars being recognised and encouraged but having awards for adult players is plain silly.
    IMO adult players honoured for their club displays by being included in their county's squad for the coming year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Do I think it's odd.? yes definitely.! In fact I find it ridiculous if not laughable.
    I can understand young,up and coming stars being recognised and encouraged but having awards for adult players is plain silly.
    IMO adult players honoured for their club displays by being included in their county's squad for the coming year.

Most counties have it, so no big deal. Let's not make a mountain out of a complete non-issue, eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh lighten up. Dublin has one too. What's the harm? It's a well deserved pat on the back & a bit of media recognition for lads who excel for their clubs, despite being treated like second class citizens by the GAA for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

As well as the lads on the pitch, I was a bit rusty meself today after 6 months away from the intercounty pitch!

For anyone interested, I've some video of today's match uploaded now. Done a separate clip of the penalty's.

Match video here,

BandMember wrote: »
    Most counties have it, so no big deal. Let's not make a mountain out of a complete non-issue, eh? ;)

Fair enough, enjoy the night anyway. Just giving my opinion and doubt if I'm alone. The backslapping and fashion parade should be a sight to behold.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, enjoy the night anyway. Just giving my opinion and doubt if I'm alone. The backslapping and fashion parade should be a sight to behold.

They will Bernard, they will.

They will Bernard, they will.

At least he didn’t mention “the egos “

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh lighten up. Dublin has one too. What's the harm?

As.is there one is his County, but if memory serves me right, they call it the Dream Team... rather than Club Stars. Now that's a bit laughable.

PARlance wrote: »
    As.is there one is his County, but if memory serves me right, they call it the Dream Team... rather than Club Stars. Now that's a bit laughable.

Go home. You're drunk.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Go home. You're drunk.

You have to celebrate beating Leitrim.

(Not drinking despite earlier spelling suggesting otherwise)

• Advertisement

Lord above. Such bitchiness !

Someone bitter at getting dumped down to Junior B when the local hotshot nippy corner forward finished his Leaving? Or was the girlfriend a victim of his devilish charm while you were working the evening shift in the butchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Don't see any issue with those club awards. They have been in Galway for some years now. And it rewards players who might not play county for whatever reason. For example, in Galway, Kieran Fitzgerald made the club team of year a few times many years after he finished with county. Alan O'Donovan is another example from Corofin - not quite good enough to be on the county panel but a regular top scorer in club championship for years. I am not sure if the awards were around as far back as then but he is exactly the type of guy that gets rewarded with these kind of awards. Also, as a regular attendee at club matches, I love reading who makes those teams to see if I agree with them. I really dont see anything negative about them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't see any issue with those club awards. They have been in Galway for some years now. And it rewards players who might not play county for whatever reason. For example, in Galway, Kieran Fitzgerald made the club team of year a few times many years after he finished with county. Alan O'Donovan is another example from Corofin - not quite good enough to be on the county panel but a regular top scorer in club championship for years. I am not sure if the awards were around as far back as then but he is exactly the type of guy that gets rewarded with these kind of awards. Also, as a regular attendee at club matches, I love reading who makes those teams to see if I agree with them. I really dont see anything negative about them at all.

Hurling ones on tonight in Kilbeacanty in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any punishment for the leitrim player who contributed to the last point despite being sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote:
    Any punishment for the leitrim player who contributed to the last point despite being sent off.

He must continue to play for Leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

He must continue to play for Leitrim

That's a punishment and a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

irishgeo wrote: »

Same as Charlie Redmond i suppose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Well, the chairman of Connacht council when asked about it on national radio this morning said, "it was a great pass" :pac:

Was it true that the player was walking off the field and then just decided to become involved in the play again when the opportunity arose?

If that's the case then he should be at least called out for his blatant disregard for the rules of the game and the authority of the ref.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was it true that the player was walking off the field and then just decided to become involved in the play again when the opportunity arose?

If that's the case then he should be at least called out for his blatant disregard for the rules of the game and the authority of the ref.

According to Mr Prenty he was passed the ball as he was walking off and he passed it on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement