Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    According to Mr Prenty he was passed the ball as he was walking off and he passed it on.

Well if that is the case then he should at least apologise and admit that it was not on the spirit of the game.

And add something like 'and hey kids stay in school and say no to drugs'

Cos he ain't sending a good message with what he did.

I know it's January and the FBD but I'm sure it could happen in a more important game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Well if that is the case then he should at least apologise and admit that it was not on the spirit of the game.

I know it's January and the FBD but I'm sure it could happen in a more important game too.

I would be in favour of him apologising if whoever came up with the brain fart of a penalty shoot out does the same.

From listening to radio coverage that there was a subsequent public announcement that points would not count, I thought I had accidentally tuned into an episode of The Twilight Zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Of course Aidan o sheas famous dive for the penalty v Fermanagh in 2016 was great sportsmanship
    and in the spirit of the game..............no problem with that!

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Of course Aidan o sheas famous dive for the penalty v Fermanagh in 2016 was great sportsmanship

Completely different situation

Players con the reff all time with dives and going down easy for soft frees.
    It's unsavoury yes, but unfortunately part of the game.

But in this case the Letrim player was given a punishment by the referee and decided to ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would be in favour of him apologising if whoever came up with the brain fart of a penalty shoot out does the same.

I though a '45' shootout was the chosen means of splitting teams in these circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I though a '45' shootout was the chosen means of splitting teams in these circumstances.

It would be certainly more fitting imo. I'm surprised the GAA has went "soccerstyle" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I remember in Robbie Keane's time at Inter, they had a penalty shootout where the attacker was given the ball on half way line and ran with it down to goal in a 1 on 1 situation. That would be good for Gaelic. Imagine the rows it would cause if some lad fouled the ball as he ran towards goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I remember in Robbie Keane's time at Inter, they had a penalty shootout where the attacker was given the ball on half way line and ran with it down to goal in a 1 on 1 situation. That would be good for Gaelic. Imagine the rows it would cause if some lad fouled the ball as he ran towards goal!

I knew they trialled it in the States but never knew proper football leagues also did it :)

PARlance wrote: »
    I knew they trialled it in the States but never knew proper football leagues also did it :)

In the very early days of MSL c1996 they tried it but soon abandoned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

BENDYBINN wrote: »

And the ocs using elbows.spirit of the game he says.yeah

So did I until yesterday, and cannot see why that wasn`t the case.

Still, I`m sure it will find favour with some of our media "experts" who will not be happy until they turn the game into a namby pamby soccer sister sport.

PARlance wrote: »

It was just a pre-season friendly tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Penalty Shootout in Leitrim - Mayo News Football Podcast 2019 episode 1

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-01-07T03_08_42-08_00.mp3

Any word of a kickoff time for the Galway game? Likely to be 1.30 is it?

Any word of a kickoff time for the Galway game? Likely to be 1.30 is it?

I heard on Radio 1 this evening that both games will throw-in at 1.30pm

But there was no mention of any kick-off time so I can't help you there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Clearly, he's on the wrong thread and is talking about the Galway United game.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Whats kicking off in Galway now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

muddle84 wrote: »
    Whats kicking off in Galway now??

The price of tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

10 euro online, 15 on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

crusier wrote: »
    10 euro online, 15 on the day

Are ya serious?. Could they not leave it at a tenner ffs. Gordon gecko would be proud with their greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

gigantic09 wrote:
    Are ya serious?. Could they not leave it at a tenner ffs. Gordon gecko would be proud with their greed.

I agree, they know well there's no internet in Mayo. Galway are always pulling fast ones!

gigantic09 wrote: »

You're going to love the news I have for you!

Just like that beloved by all organisation Ticketmaster there's a service charge of 1.95 on an online ticket purchase.:D

I was getting ahead of myself with the soccerification of GAA rules after the penalty shootout.:P

Courtesy of Father Tod

The All Ireland Series fixtures are in the Master Fixture list

Provincial winners are at home for Phase 1, Phase 2 is in CP and Phase 3 is at home of qualifiers

Group 1
    Team 1: Munster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Ulster Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Connacht Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Leinster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 2
    Team 1: Leinster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Connacht Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Munster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Ulster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 1 & 2 Fixtures
    13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 1
    Team 1 v Team 3
    Team 2 v Team 4
    20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 2
    Team 1 v Team 2
    Team 3 v Team 4
    03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 3
    Team 3 v Team 2
    Team 4 v Team 1

seligehgit wrote: »
    Courtesy of Father Tod

The All Ireland Series fixtures are in the Master Fixture list

Provincial winners are at home for Phase 1, Phase 2 is in CP and Phase 3 is at home of qualifiers

Group 1
    Team 1: Munster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Ulster Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Connacht Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Leinster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 2
    Team 1: Leinster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Connacht Provincial Winner

Team 3: Munster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Ulster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 1 & 2 Fixtures
    13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 1
    Team 1 v Team 3
    Team 2 v Team 4
    20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 2
    Team 1 v Team 2
    Team 3 v Team 4
    03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 3
    Team 3 v Team 2
    Team 4 v Team 1

Obviously very important to win Connacht

Allows you to play Dublin early and avoid them in s SF

Obviously very important to win Connacht

Allows you to play Dublin early and avoid them in s SF

Does it really matter if you meet them in a final or a semi final? Are they going to be easier to beat in a final than a semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Hey folks,

How much were tickets for the Mayo-Leitrim game last weekend? Was it it €15 at the gate like this weekend's Galway match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

grbear wrote: »
    Hey folks,

How much were tickets for the Mayo-Leitrim game last weekend? Was it it €15 at the gate like this weekend's Galway match?

Or a tenner in advance in Supervalu. Kids free, OFC.

Hey folks,

€10 I paid at the ticket van in Carrick. Bought a ticket for this Sunday in supervalu on Tuesday, will be €15 on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Thanks for the replies. I understand that there'll be a bit of extra interest given the spiciness of last year's fixture and the return of Horan but €15 seems a little greedy for what's still a preseason match. I'm sure they'll get a solid crowd for it though.

Thanks for the replies. I understand that there'll be a bit of extra interest given the spiciness of last year's fixture and the return of Horan but €15 seems a little greedy for what's still a preseason match. I'm sure they'll get a solid crowd for it though.

Supply and demand! I'd be expecting about 6K maybe 7K there.

Thanks for the replies. I understand that there'll be a bit of extra interest given the spiciness of last year's fixture and the return of Horan

Plus first time in a long time going into a season where Galway are indisputably higher up the pecking order than us...

muddle84 wrote: »
    Does it really matter if you meet them in a final or a semi final? Are they going to be easier to beat in a final than a semi?
    Oh I think it is.

Last year’s performances notwithstanding and barring major injuries Mayo are still one of the top teams in the country if not one of the top 2 teams in the country.

Since Donegal beat Dublin in 2014 Mayo have really been the only team that have been consistently competitive against Dublin in the championship.

Getting to a final is always better than getting to a semi-final, so one would always want the easier route to the final, and that easier route involves not playing Dublin in the SF.

Plus you play then in the group stages which will give some sort of basis for analysis for a future meeting (for both teams obviously)

Now of course the next few months could show us that Mayo are in terminal decline and if so so be it, but if not then winning Connacht again brings a very big reward this year.

Oh I think it is.

Last year’s performances notwithstanding and barring major injuries Mayo are still one of the top teams in the country if not one of the top 2 teams in the country.

Since Donegal beat Dublin in 2014 Mayo have really been the only team that have been consistently competitive against Dublin in the championship.

Getting to a final is always better than getting to a semi-final, so one would always want the easier route to the final, and that easier route involves not playing Dublin in the SF.

Plus you play then in the group stages which will give some sort of basis for analysis for a future meeting (for both teams obviously)

Now of course the next few months could show us that Mayo are in terminal decline and if so so be it, but if not then winning Connacht again brings a very big reward this year.

Its hard to say Mayo are in the top 4 let along the 2 in the country based on last year and that is all we have to work on really.

But with regard to your other points I agree getting a game against them in the super 8's is a benefit without doubt. But is your reasoning for saying final is better than final quite simply that its a final?

My take on it is to win an all ireland you are more than likely going to have to beat dublin in a knockout game, either final or semi final. The only justification i can think of for saying a final is better than a final is that we will need to throw everything we have at dublin with a bit of luck to beat them. If that is in a semi final then we might not have enough left to beat whoever is the finalist two weeks after leaving absolutely everything on the pitch.

But we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves so maybe better to start with this. I would love to see us beat Galway and win the FBD league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Ah FFS lads, we've only played our first game of the season and needed a penalty shootout to beat Leitrim - I know it's early days yet and we'll be a completely different outfit come summer, but let's concentrate on Galway this Sunday and the National League before talking about AI semis and finals, eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Any ideas on where are good car parking spots that's handy for
    journey back to Mayo afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ureds wrote: »
    Any ideas on where are good car parking spots that's handy for
    journey back to Mayo afterwards?

Milltown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Milltown.

Park at the Cathedral and walk around. Unfortunately it is not unusual for cars to be broken into when parked near the stadium. I've heard of windows being smashed at club games aswell as oounty games at this venue.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Ah FFS lads, we've only played our first game of the season and needed a penalty shootout to beat Leitrim - I know it's early days yet and we'll be a completely different outfit come summer, but let's concentrate on Galway this Sunday and the National League before talking about AI semis and finals, eh? ;)

That's true.
    The leaking of goals last Sunday would give you concern, but then again hopefully not.

Roll on Tuam

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Park at the Cathedral and walk around. Unfortunately it is not unusual for cars to be broken into when parked near the stadium. I've heard of windows being smashed at club games aswell as oounty games at this venue.

Have been going to club & county matches in Tuam for many years and have never experienced or heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

fdrDy16.jpg

New goalkeepers geansaí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hennelly will be wearing it again Sunday !

1. Rob Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. David Drake - Ballaghaderreen
    5. Colm Boyle - Davitts(C)
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. James McCormack - Claremorris
    8. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    13. Connor Diskin - Claremorris
    14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Four @CorofinGAA players included in @Galway_GAA team for @ConnachtGAA FBD Semi-Final v @MayoGAA #GAA - M Breathnach; D Kyne, SA O’Ceallaigh, L Silke; K Molloy, J Daly, D Wall; C Duggan, T Flynn; C McDaid, M Farragher, J Heaney; F Burke, M Boyle, B McHugh.

km79 wrote: »
    Hennelly will be wearing it again Sunday !

1. Rob Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. David Drake - Ballaghaderreen
    5. Colm Boyle - Davitts(C)
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. James McCormack - Claremorris
    8. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    13. Connor Diskin - Claremorris
    14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Good to see the panel being mixed up a bit, just what the FBD is for.

• Advertisement

Looking at the 2 teams, Mayo have about 7 / 8 players who you would expect to be starting or somewhere reasonably close to a starting place in championship (Hennelly, Higgins, Harrison, Boyle, Vaughan, O'Connor, Loftus, Doherty).Galway have about 6 players who I think will be reasonably close to starting in championship (Kyne, O'Kelly, Silke, Duggan, Flynn, Heaney).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Looking at the 2 teams, Mayo have about 7 / 8 players who you would expect to be starting or somewhere reasonably close to a starting place in championship (Hennelly, Higgins, Harrison, Boyle, Vaughan, O'Connor, Loftus, Doherty).Galway have about 6 players who I think will be reasonably close to starting in championship (Kyne, O'Kelly, Silke, Duggan, Flynn, Heaney).

Hennelly over their All star keeper? Not sure about Loftus he would have to stand out in the NFL to keep his place in the team for the championship Vaughan maybe a sub also. McDaid,Molloy,Wall could all be championship starters for Galway this summer.

km79 wrote: »
    Four @CorofinGAA players included in @Galway_GAA team for @ConnachtGAA FBD Semi-Final v @MayoGAA #GAA - M Breathnach; D Kyne, SA O’Ceallaigh, L Silke; K Molloy, J Daly, D Wall; C Duggan, T Flynn; C McDaid, M Farragher, J Heaney; F Burke, M Boyle, B McHugh.

Molloy will be a serious addition for Galway this year. For me, last year and this year so far, he has been Corofin`s stand out player.

If those four are prepared to turn out in the FBD so close to an AI club semi, then it looks as if, unlike other years, the Corofin lads are happy enough to commit.

Hennelly over their All star keeper? Not sure about Loftus he would have to stand out in the NFL to keep his place in the team for the championship Vaughan maybe a sub also. McDaid,Molloy,Wall could all be championship starters for Galway this summer.

Probably worded my post wrong - it was more looking at players who have been tested already at this county level and will not necessarily start but if they dont start will probably still come on (i.e. Vaughan type player). I don't think Hennelly will start over Clarke. However, it wouldn't exactly be outlandish to think he might if he was in good form etc. (wasnt he Horan's first choice during his last stint?).

You are correct - McDaid, Molloy, Wall could all end up starting for Galway this summer. John Daly could too. However, they are so untested at this level that I dont think its really possible to make that call yet. If championship match v Mayo was tomorrow, I wouldn't start any of them. They have earned an opportunity to get a place on the team. But they are still some way off actually earning a place close to the team.

I think overall, Mayo have a stronger team out on Sunday. I am not really familiar with the Claremorris guys on the Mayo team though.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Molloy will be a serious addition for Galway this year. For me, last year and this year so far, he has been Corofin`s stand out player.

If those four are prepared to turn out in the FBD so close to an AI club semi, then it looks as if, unlike other years, the Corofin lads are happy enough to commit.

3 others in the panel too - Power, Leonard & Ian Burke.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement